Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Remote Control Questions

• Please log in to reply
482 replies to this topic

#121 ONLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

The rc65x is IR only remote, so that why it didn't work, it will take the RF remote steps but all it does is turn off the IR for sat/dvr commands. Reason is its missing RF circuitry to communicate with receiver. To put the rc65x and rc65r remotes back into IR mode:

1. dtv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

To the H24 into RF mode and communicating with RC65R RF remote is two stage process, receiver then remote:

Enter the menu of the receiver:

1. menu>parental, fav's, & setup> system setup> remote> IR/RF>

2. you will see either IR or RF, tap whichever to reveal both

3. pressing RF or RF and then DONE the remote won't work any longer, now do the following on the remote:

a) dtv

B) press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks

c) enter 9 6 1

d) press CH UP

e) enter the last 6 digits of the receiver ID #, found on a sticker in the access card compartment

f) press SELECT
aka Tivoburkee

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:18 PM

Thanks Edmund,
I have both remotes with the corresponding receivers all set in IR modes for now and working fine....I'll try exactly what you said when I get home.
So just to be clear I have to go into the H24's menu first, follow your steps #1, #2, #3, and then proceed with the RC65R with steps A) to F). Correct?

Sorry , just making sure I got it right!!

I hope this works.

Thanks again,
Hidef2010

#123 ONLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

Thanks Edmund,
I have both remotes with the corresponding receivers all set in IR modes for now and working fine....I'll try exactly what you said when I get home.
So just to be clear I have to go into the H24's menu first, follow your steps #1, #2, #3, and then proceed with the RC65R with steps A) to F). Correct?

Sorry , just making sure I got it right!!

I hope this works.

Thanks again,
Hidef2010

Yes.

And if you decide to use the remote to control both receivers via rf, remember the av1 or av2 device will not take the rf programming unless it is programmed with IR code from 00001-00008 first.
aka Tivoburkee

#124 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

OH!! Ok, you brought up another point here, which I forgot to ask.
I hope that I will only be able to control the H24 with the Remote set-up steps you gave me.
I certainly DO NOT want to have the remote controlling my HR22 at the same time.

Thanks for all your help! I'll let you know as soon as I program it !!
Hidef2010

#125 ONLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

OH!! Ok, you brought up another point here, which I forgot to ask.
I hope that I will only be able to control the H24 with the Remote set-up steps you gave me.
I certainly DO NOT want to have the remote controlling my HR22 at the same time.

Thanks for all your help! I'll let you know as soon as I program it !!
Hidef2010

No problem of that happening ever via RF, since you use the unique RID # to marry the remote, or device on remote to given receiver. Even if you wanted to control two receivers in RF mode at the exact same time, it couldn't be done.
aka Tivoburkee

#126 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

No problem of that happening ever via RF, since you use the unique RID # to marry the remote, or device on remote to given receiver. Even if you wanted to control two receivers in RF mode at the exact same time, it couldn't be done.

Thanks Edmund for the reply..... IT WORKED!! IT WORKED!!! :lol:
I had actually used your recommended steps before.....but bone head that I am, I was pressing the "up" arrow button above the "select" instead of the "channel up".:eek2::eek2:

Thanks again

Hidef2010

#127 OFFLINE   dacoop2

dacoop2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

Hi, all.

Just added a receiver in my living room in preparation for football season. Two TVs for Sunday football!!

My question is this. Is there a way I can program each remote to control one receiver? For instance, I have an HR-20 that is currently controlled by an RC23. I just re-activated an H20 that has an RC34 remote. Can I program each remote to control just one of the receivers?

Sort of a noob question but I couldn't come up with a search phrase or keywords that would get me the results I needed.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Rich

#128 ONLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

Hi, all.

Just added a receiver in my living room in preparation for football season. Two TVs for Sunday football!!

My question is this. Is there a way I can program each remote to control one receiver? For instance, I have an HR-20 that is currently controlled by an RC23. I just re-activated an H20 that has an RC34 remote. Can I program each remote to control just one of the receivers?

Sort of a noob question but I couldn't come up with a search phrase or keywords that would get me the results I needed.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Rich

cover the hr20 while switch the h20 codeset:

start by programming code 00002 to the AV1 device on the remote,

1. av1
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 0 0 0 0 2

Slide back to the directv device and enter the menu of the HR21, with H10 covered:

1. menu> parental, fav's, & setup> system setup> remote> receiver mode>

2. you will see either DIRECTV or AV1/AV2, click whichever to reveal both

3. chose AV1/AV2, the remote will stop controlling the receiver, slide to av1 on the remote

4. press Done and exit the menu
aka Tivoburkee

#129 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

On the HR24 it has a listing for the PS3, and a few entries for PS2. I am unable to get the remote to operate the PS3 at all. Maybe Dave is teasing us? Has anyone had any luck in this area?

Thanks,
Joe
Engineer by day, Rocket Scientist by night... Or do I got that backwards #$@! :)

#130 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

That's got to be for a nyko or similar. D* remote is definitely not bluetooth.

#131 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

That's got to be for a nyko or similar. D* remote is definitely not bluetooth.

That's too bad. It would be nice to have a single remote that works everything. Well I guess I could replace my PS3 with a dedicated BluRay player and give the PS3 to my grand children. Ha Ha, yea right. Never gonna happen until I get something that can play my NAS vob files without error.
Engineer by day, Rocket Scientist by night... Or do I got that backwards #$@! :)

#132 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

That's too bad. It would be nice to have a single remote that works everything. Well I guess I could replace my PS3 with a dedicated BluRay player and give the PS3 to my grand children. Ha Ha, yea right. Never gonna happen until I get something that can play my NAS vob files without error.

What I'm saying is it may very well work with one of the many PS3 IR interfaces out there, but it won't work natively with the PS3. So there's definitely a possibility it will work the PS3 with the right interface. We just don't know which one the code you found works with. Nyko was my guess since it's probably the most common, but there are many others. If there's any way to get the actual code number, we can figure out which interface. I'm not sure if code blink back works on D* remotes, but you could try it. See the How To link in my sig. Just use Mute-Select instead of Setup in the instructions.

Edited by mdavej, 29 August 2010 - 09:32 PM.

#133 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

Before I get all knee deep in it. In our bedroom we have a Sony BDV-e770w that we use for audio. While the RC34 does a fine job of working the HR20 and the Old toshiba plasma, and it controls the volume fine on the sony, it does not power the AV receiver on and off. Is it at all likely that if I keep poking around I may find a code for it? Or does the remote simply not fire a power toggle for AV gear?

Thanks!

#134 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,946 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:02 AM

Before I get all knee deep in it. In our bedroom we have a Sony BDV-e770w that we use for audio. While the RC34 does a fine job of working the HR20 and the Old toshiba plasma, and it controls the volume fine on the sony, it does not power the AV receiver on and off. Is it at all likely that if I keep poking around I may find a code for it? Or does the remote simply not fire a power toggle for AV gear?

Thanks!

Power toggle is supported for many (but not all) AV receivers, so you may find one which works. You need to move the selector to AV1 or AV2, as appropriate, and use the PWR button (the ON and OFF buttons will only work for the receiver and TV).

#135 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

There are IR adapters available for the PS3
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#136 OFFLINE   GreenScrew

GreenScrew

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

New to D* and wanted to program 2 remotes for one HR24. I got it working no problem but seems that the copy settings feature should've made it easier but it sure isn't intuitive if its meant to be able copy settings from one remote to another. Anyone know how to actually do this?

On a separate note, the D* remote only shuts my AV receiver off. Not on. The OEM remote has separate Power/Standby buttons. How likely is it that I'd find a code to do both turn on and off, even if it means using AV1 for on and AV2 for off?

#137 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:07 PM

New to D* and wanted to program 2 remotes for one HR24. I got it working no problem but seems that the copy settings feature should've made it easier but it sure isn't intuitive if its meant to be able copy settings from one remote to another. Anyone know how to actually do this?

On a separate note, the D* remote only shuts my AV receiver off. Not on. The OEM remote has separate Power/Standby buttons. How likely is it that I'd find a code to do both turn on and off, even if it means using AV1 for on and AV2 for off?

I've never used the copy settings but I believe it will only work with the new remote controls, not the older ones. I have programmed my old remote to work on my HR24 manually. It works like a charm.

As for the remote turning the TV on/off properly or any other device, try programming your device again and after the first code has been used, just tell it it didn't work. It should try a different code and maybe that will work. I ended up manually programming my remotes to my TV because the ones that the reciever tried using just didn't work all the buttons properly, power being one of them.

What make and model AV reciever do you have? Someone here could provide you the proper code to manually program into the remote which should solve your problem, hopefully. I have a Sony and the default model for it wasn't perfect, there are a few codes for it and I think I ened up with the third code which worked great.

-Joe

#138 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

I just moved my older Panasonic TV to the bedroom and programmed it with a RC65RX code that adjusts the volume and mute just fine when the slider is on DTV. But if I press OFF or PWR, I only control the DVR, the OFF doesn't punch through to DTV mode like volume does (and my older TV did).

I tried a few codes that tested well with volume, but the only way I can turn off the TV and the DVR is to move the sliders to each of those modes- about 3 keystrokes and a slider move. How can I get both Volume and Power to all work in DTV mode (like it did with my older TV)?

Note: the TV is a model PT50LC14.

Thanks!

#139 ONLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:34 AM

Its up the code you use and the model of TV if the TV ON & OFF keys will work properly, many top brands of tv did not work with those keys like samsung, mitsubishi and yes panasonic. If you keep trying codes you mighy find a power toggle on one of ON or OFF keys which will do both on & off, but you might have to press the key twice.
aka Tivoburkee

#140 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:43 AM

I've gotten through all the codes except for the 991-1 one. Many codes turn it off and on while the slider is on TV. So if I hit done or slide back to DTV and test it doesn't work, so to try another code means going back into Remote Setup-Panasonic Codes... etc etc, so every try can take a minute or so.

Now that I see Edmund's tip about pressing the key twice, I'll try all the code all over again. Edmund, please clarify which key is it I may have to hit twice, OFF or ON or POWER? It seems odd that the code works to turn ON/OFF when I'm in the Remote setup screen (toggled to TV of course) and then fails in DTV mode. Wish there was a manual punch-through.

Edited by itzme, 27 September 2010 - 12:19 PM.

spam firewall