Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA channels different from sat locals

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scout12

scout12

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:21 PM

I have a weird question. I live in an area where I get locals over the sat from a market to far to get the locals OTA. I do get one channel OTA (at least thats what antenna web says) but it is not one of the channels I get from the sat.

My question is if I get the OTA signal will I get guide data for it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,694 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:22 PM

Maybe.

Dish has EPG data for all the locals that they carry... beyond that, in many markets they have additional EPG data for some channels that they don't carry, for the OTA signals.

If you have a specific channel in a specific market, you can ask and if someone is in your area I'm sure they will chime in and let you know.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   scout12

scout12

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:54 AM

Maybe.

Dish has EPG data for all the locals that they carry... beyond that, in many markets they have additional EPG data for some channels that they don't carry, for the OTA signals.

If you have a specific channel in a specific market, you can ask and if someone is in your area I'm sure they will chime in and let you know.

Well I guess I will just have to try it. Now I need to find a good deal on an antenna.

#4 OFFLINE   Matt Beachy

Matt Beachy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:17 AM

I subscribe to the South Bend, IN local channels with Dish, but using an antenna I pick up a channel from the Fort Wayne, IN market. I receive the guide data for that channel.

#5 OFFLINE   Schizm

Schizm

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:58 PM

I've hooked up a Channel Master 4228 antenna and a 7777 preamp. I pickup all of the locals E* offers for my area (Gainesville) and more.

So today I decide to disconnect my local service through E* today. Now I go to my program guide and OTA locals' programming data only show "Digital Service". When I had locals through E* their data showed up and even for the couple of channels E* doesn't offer. I've warm booted and rescanned the channels to no avail.

Anyone else have experience with this? Will the programming guide come back tonight after the maintenance cycle or will I have to get my locals back through E* for the OTA guide data?

#6 OFFLINE   DishGeek75

DishGeek75

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:50 PM

You have to subscribe to your DMA locals in order to get the guide data for the OTA.

#7 OFFLINE   Schizm

Schizm

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

WEAK!! Thanks for the information though. I'm calling now to have them reconnected so my timers will work again.

#8 OFFLINE   fredinva

fredinva

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:00 AM

You have to subscribe to your DMA locals in order to get the guide data for the OTA.

And there is a good reason for this:
Dish doesn't know what's on every local channel in over 200 market areas!!!!
Especially during the day, your local broadcast station dictates what is going to be shown. Dish could probably guess and get most major network primetime shows correct, but there is no quarantee. Geeez, around here the locals will prempt anything to broadcast ACC bball!!!!

Remember when we didn't even get sd locals via dish?????

fred

#9 OFFLINE   goldbear

goldbear

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:53 PM

Remember when we didn't even get sd locals via dish?????

fred

Not hard to do as some of us still do not get even locals in SD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...