Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR21-700 Install -- Question about the guide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wintrmte

Wintrmte

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:27 PM

All,

D* recently came out and upgraded my old HR10-250 Tivo unit to the new HR21-700 unit. In all, the adjustment has been a bit difficult, but I think we'll manage.

I have a couple concerns:

My question though, is regarding the guide. It's been over 24 hours and the guide is
missing a lot of data. In fact, it didn't have any data for the majority of the stations.

The next thing I noticed is that when I did the satellite LNB test, there were two sats that reported failed (I'll run down and update the post with the exact satellites). The rest are OK, including the 72.5 which holds our local channels.

We seem to be getting all of the stations, which leads me to believe the above issue really isn't an issue at all.

Anyhow, nice to be here with you all. We've been a customer since 1996. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Xing

Xing

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:29 PM

All,

D* recently came out and upgraded my old HR10-250 Tivo unit to the new HR21-700 unit. In all, the adjustment has been a bit difficult, but I think we'll manage.

I have a couple concerns:

My question though, is regarding the guide. It's been over 24 hours and the guide is
missing a lot of data. In fact, it didn't have any data for the majority of the stations.

The next thing I noticed is that when I did the satellite LNB test, there were two sats that reported failed (I'll run down and update the post with the exact satellites). The rest are OK, including the 72.5 which holds our local channels.

We seem to be getting all of the stations, which leads me to believe the above issue really isn't an issue at all.

Anyhow, nice to be here with you all. We've been a customer since 1996. :)

The guide takes 24-48 hours to load the full 2 weeks. If your missing current guide data then reset.
The satellites your missing are probably 99 and 103a wich in your area are fine because both of those satellites are for HD locals only.

#3 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,187 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:32 PM

If your receiver cannot detect all satellites, then your guide will not populate properly. I know some people might disagree with this, but I experienced this myself once. The problem could be a bad install, bad LNB (doubtful), bad connection to multiswitch, even a short in one of the RG6 cables. I'd call DirecTV back and explain to them you need an immediate visit from an installer.

Note: Don't worry about not being able to detect the satellites you won't get anyway. If THAT'S the issue, then there's nothing to worry about; but if you're supposed to be getting the regular birds and are not, then that could cause guide info problems.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#4 OFFLINE   Wintrmte

Wintrmte

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:57 PM

The guide takes 24-48 hours to load the full 2 weeks. If your missing current guide data then reset.
The satellites your missing are probably 99 and 103a wich in your area are fine because both of those satellites are for HD locals only.

Yep, those are the ones.

Thanks for the info!

#5 OFFLINE   Wintrmte

Wintrmte

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:33 PM

Well, been over 48 hours now and my guide is still messed up. Last night we had something really strange happen, the HR21 rebooted during Heroes.

When it came back online, I noticed I did have guide information at least for the current day.

Today, however, is a different story, only some channels have guide information. :(

Any ideas?

#6 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:55 PM

:welcome_s

I wish you would have known about the Ordering Tips and Installation Guide.

You would have known how to test the receiver and dish before you signed that everything was good.

You would have known the checklist that you were going to be asked to sign.

You would have known what to do when the installer was still there.

At this point you are still under warranty. Call DIRECTV at 1-800-531-5000.

It's not to late to read up. At least make sure that everything else is properly tested.

In the HD DVR FAQ thread you can find a number of other resources that can help you as you settle in:

144 Undocumented HD DVR PLUS Tips & Tricks

TiVo Users Survival Guide

Good luck,

- Craig

#7 OFFLINE   Wintrmte

Wintrmte

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:08 PM

:welcome_s

I wish you would have known about the Ordering Tips and Installation Guide.

You would have known how to test the receiver and dish before you signed that everything was good.

-SNIP-

Wow, your information is a HUGE help, I cannot thank you enough!!!!

I will give them a call tomorrow. I did ask the installer about the guide, and he told me it would take a few days to populate, so I didn't question him. I remember our HD TiVO unit taking a while, so I figured all was good. (slap forehead).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...