Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On Demand Very cool

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:54 PM

I just got done testing the downloading and watching of a couple of shows. It worked great. And the best part is no comercials.

Also on the channel 1000 page, the demo about on demand mentions that the service is free as a directv customer. Did I see that wrong?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:55 PM

Also on the channel 1000 page, the demo about on demand mentions that the service is free as a directv customer. Did I see that wrong?

No, you didn't see it wrong.

The only expected cost is for programs that are flagged with a $ (which are basically downloadable PPVs)

But the core service is right now, no charge... and ties to your programming packages.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:53 AM

The only expected cost is for programs that are flagged with a $ (which are basically downloadable PPVs)

But the core service is right now, no charge... and ties to your programming packages.

Then what is going to happen as of Dec 31, 2007? Or Dec 1, 2007 or whatever the date is. I thought that was when they were going to start charging for the DoD service. Did I get that wrong? I hope so...

#4 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:10 AM

Yes the bulk of VOD/DOD is at no cost even when it becomes non-beta, IMHO.
Living Room: HR20-700S - OTA enabled; Networking & Internet working
Bedroom : HR20-700S - OTA not used; Networking & Internet working
Firmware on both units CE0x1C3
AT-9/Zinwell switch
Using WRT54GS firmware 7.50.02 Linksys for all devices and Internet. Working for download of On Demand. Disabled wireless for extra security.
Comcast Internet & Basic w/discount

#5 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:20 AM

Yes the bulk of VOD/DOD is at no cost even when it becomes non-beta, IMHO.

That would be good as I have no idea how often I would actually use it. I just did so yeaterday to make sure it worked, not because I Needed it. What I need is a repeat of a program 2 weeks ago which apparently is not on Demand.

#6 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:26 AM

That would be good as I have no idea how often I would actually use it. I just did so yeaterday to make sure it worked, not because I Needed it. What I need is a repeat of a program 2 weeks ago which apparently is not on Demand.

It may be after BETA ends, it's certain DirecTV is making an effort.
Living Room: HR20-700S - OTA enabled; Networking & Internet working
Bedroom : HR20-700S - OTA not used; Networking & Internet working
Firmware on both units CE0x1C3
AT-9/Zinwell switch
Using WRT54GS firmware 7.50.02 Linksys for all devices and Internet. Working for download of On Demand. Disabled wireless for extra security.
Comcast Internet & Basic w/discount

#7 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

After reading this little bit from TiVo head Rogers:
http://www.multichan.../CA6499350.html

Rogers also sees great potential in developing the broadband delivery of content to TiVos, noting that almost 1 million TiVo users have connected their DVRs to the Internet.
"That will be the catalyst for the on-demand world,” he said, adding: “The cable industry made a bad bet… video-on-demand is a highly constrained infrastructure. We have 15,000 titles via Amazon, and they’re encoding thousands more each month. The video-on-demand infrastructure just can’t match that.”

I really think Directv has covered their bases with offering a "traditional OnDemand" service, with the capability to switch to a true "ala carte" of movie selections.

Right now the OnDemand is setup in the traditional sense with provided content. Maybe the next (future) step will be the ability to search for any movie/actor and save it to your hard drive.
HR20-100S 2 lines | Sharp Aquos LC-32DA5U HDMI | Onkyo TX-SR 604 (digital coax) | Polk Audio RC85i
HR20-700S 1 line | Sony KP-51WS510 HDMI-DVI | Panasonic SC-HT95 | Polk Audio RC85i | Networked
R15-500 connected to an old Sanyo (1 line)
Vista Home Premium | BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP | Comcast 6Mbps/Motorola SB5100 modem

#8 OFFLINE   JerJer

JerJer

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:26 PM

Is it true you need a viiv PC to use the network on the HR20-700. I just spent a load getting it up and network but I don't have a viiv computer.

#9 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

Is it true you need a viiv PC to use the network on the HR20-700. I just spent a load getting it up and network but I don't have a viiv computer.

Not for VOD, only for viewing fotos or listening to music from your computer.

#10 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:34 PM

You do not need a Viiv computer to get access to the DIRECTV on Demand or to network your HR20/21. Also, you can use WMP11, Tversity, or Twonky to share your photos or listening to songs. Here is a good resource for your networking questions.

http://www.dbstalk.c...729&postcount=1
HR20-100S 2 lines | Sharp Aquos LC-32DA5U HDMI | Onkyo TX-SR 604 (digital coax) | Polk Audio RC85i
HR20-700S 1 line | Sony KP-51WS510 HDMI-DVI | Panasonic SC-HT95 | Polk Audio RC85i | Networked
Vista Home Premium | BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP | Comcast 6Mbps/Motorola SB5100 modem

#11 OFFLINE   JerJer

JerJer

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:35 PM

Ok I have network access via the HR20 test but when I go to ON DEMAND memu nothing happens and I try channel 1000 I get NO SUCH channel. Is there a guide for vob access for the dummy in me?

#12 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:41 PM

Once you have your HR20 networked...the service needs to be activated by DIRECTV, at which point it will take 24-48 hours to populate the channels.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=107422 - Activation tidbits

DoD First Look

#13 OFFLINE   JerJer

JerJer

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:52 PM

Thanks Mike appreciate the info.

spam firewall