Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Give people the option of higher quality DODs PLEASE!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
69 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EFGFE36TWGOU4

EFGFE36TWGOU4

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:26 PM

DOD is really neat, BUT I am VERY disappointed with the quality of SOME of the content. Granted given many peoples internet connection that may be slow, some people may want to have very compressed content, but give people the option for high quality downloads. I find the quality for children’s shows like Barney, Thomas and Friends, and Dora is good (at least for that kind of content) Now I am streaming The Sixth Sense on STARZ on demand and the quality looks like a 20 year old video tape of a show from WTBS from 1987 recorded on the slow speed (Way too blurry!) STARZ on the demand is pretty cool except that is looks like it’s about 240P (as if such a standard existed!)

Give people the option for HD quality (same quality as STARZ HD or HDNET ect.). Then offer people shows on these stations that are necessarily being show that month on the standard station. I would be willing to let the thing download for 7 hours (or longer) if at the end I get high quality HD movie. Granted some people may want to watch now, give them the low quality options (if their internet is too slow), but for the rest of us give us the quality option PLEASE!!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:30 PM

DOD is really neat, BUT I am VERY disappointed with the quality of SOME of the content. Granted given many peoples internet connection that may be slow, some people may want to have very compressed content, but give people the option for high quality downloads. I find the quality for children’s shows like Barney, Thomas and Friends, and Dora is good (at least for that kind of content) Now I am streaming The Sixth Sense on STARZ on demand and the quality looks like a 20 year old video tape of a show from WTBS from 1987 recorded on the slow speed (Way too blurry!) STARZ on the demand is pretty cool except that is looks like it’s about 240P (as if such a standard existed!)

Give people the option for HD quality (same quality as STARZ HD or HDNET ect.). Then offer people shows on these stations that are necessarily being show that month on the standard station. I would be willing to let the thing download for 7 hours (or longer) if at the end I get high quality HD movie. Granted some people may want to watch now, give them the low quality options (if their internet is too slow), but for the rest of us give us the quality option PLEASE!!!!

It is not completed with content yet it is a BETA! It is not DirecTV's fault you have a lousy connection via your ISP.
Living Room: HR20-700S - OTA enabled; Networking & Internet working
Bedroom : HR20-700S - OTA not used; Networking & Internet working
Firmware on both units CE0x1C3
AT-9/Zinwell switch
Using WRT54GS firmware 7.50.02 Linksys for all devices and Internet. Working for download of On Demand. Disabled wireless for extra security.
Comcast Internet & Basic w/discount

#3 OFFLINE   EFGFE36TWGOU4

EFGFE36TWGOU4

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:34 PM

It is not completed with content yet it is a BETA! It is not DirecTV's fault you have a lousy connection via your ISP.

Your comment makes no sense what so ever. I have a 10Mps internet, I can download a 2 hour starz on Demand movie in about 40 minutes. (I can play anything real time with the current quality they offer) The quality has nothing to do with internet connection. It has to do with how much they compress the signal.

#4 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:37 PM

I'd just love to see any DOD HD. You'll hear "it's still a beta". Even more of a point that we should have DOD HD now! I just don't get it. I'm checking everyday for DOD HD content. Everyday I'm letdown.

#5 OFFLINE   EFGFE36TWGOU4

EFGFE36TWGOU4

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:47 PM

I'd just love to see any DOD HD. You'll hear "it's still a beta". Even more of a point that we should have DOD HD now! I just don't get it. I'm checking everyday for DOD HD content. Everyday I'm letdown.

Agreed, many of us have paid anywhere from $1500 to $4000 for our HD TV's, why would we want to watch that low quality sh!#! that Starz on Demand has. Makes me want to puke. That being said, some stuff like Barney, Dora the Explorer and Thomas and Friends seems fine for my 2 year old for that kinds of content, looks comparable to whats normally on Sprout.

Some some stuff on Discovery on Demand looks watchable for that kind of content like Dirty Jobs, but give us the Quality option PLEASE. Otherwise DOD is only a toy to play with, not a compelling option for movie watching. I watched some Big Ten Network stuff, and the DOD is awful, I've seen similiar quality talking to my dad on our web cam through MSN messenger!

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,799 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:48 PM

I wonder if this DoD content is generated specifically for D* or it's what the channels provide to all companies, D*, Comcast, Time Warner, Cablevision, etc. It could be this is what the majority of the distribution channels have asked for and this is what D* gets, might be out of their control.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#7 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:53 PM

Your comment makes no sense what so ever. I have a 10Mps internet, I can download a 2 hour starz on Demand movie in about 40 minutes. (I can play anything real time with the current quality they offer) The quality has nothing to do with internet connection. It has to do with how much they compress the signal.

It is recommended that you have a minimum of 100 Mbps per DirecTV. :rolleyes:
Since you will be using the same connection for internet while surfing the web etc.
Until you are ready for BETA, I think you should wait.
AT-9/Zinwell switch
Using WRT54GS firmware 7.50.02 Linksys for all devices and Internet. Working for download of On Demand. Disabled wireless for extra security.

#8 OFFLINE   EFGFE36TWGOU4

EFGFE36TWGOU4

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:55 PM

I wonder if this DoD content is generated specifically for D* or it's what the channels provide to all companies, D*, Comcast, Time Warner, Cablevision, etc. It could be this is what the majority of the distribution channels have asked for and this is what D* gets, might be out of their control.

That is a very good point. But I think, DirecTV needs to take the lead on this, just like they seem to be taking the lead on HD / mpeg4. Offer people high quality downloads any website that has streaming videos offers different bandwidths and DoD's should be the same. Its idiotic that they would go with a product offering lower quality SD than normal. Bandwidth is out there, so offer people the option for high quality. Even if its not DirecTV I should be griping at, but at least lets let our displeasure with the low quality be heard on these forums!

#9 OFFLINE   EFGFE36TWGOU4

EFGFE36TWGOU4

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

Since you will be using the same connection for internet while surfing the web etc.
Until you are ready for BETA, I think you should wait.

:nono:

#10 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:00 PM

:nono:

Okay you wont get it with 10 Mbps. Sorry nothing personal, but maybe listen and learn.
AT-9/Zinwell switch

#11 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:03 PM

Where do you come up with some of this stuff?

As per http://www.directv.com/dod/dod.html : "Broadband Internet service with a minimum connection speed of 750 Kbps or higher (DSL or cable) "

#12 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

Where do you come up with some of this stuff?

As per http://www.directv.com/dod/dod.html : "Broadband Internet service with a minimum connection speed of 750 Kbps or higher (DSL or cable) "

Factor your other devices. Let's not be cheap. The fact you are so quick with responding clarifies you need so much bandwidth to work. Update. If you have the money to buy and HR2* Then get the right internet connection. It's not to make you mad, but to make it work for you. :rolleyes:
AT-9/Zinwell switch

#13 OFFLINE   EFGFE36TWGOU4

EFGFE36TWGOU4

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:06 PM

Okay you wont get it with 10 Mbps. Sorry nothing personal, but maybe listen and learn.

My network is 100Mbps ethernet (hard wired through my router)

My internet provider is 10Mbps which is very fast for cable modem,

:hurah:
YOU ARE TOTALLY CLUELESS TO MY POINT?

Even IF I had a slow provider I wouldnt mind waiting for the download and watch the movie the next day as long as it was high quality. As it is now I can watching anything theY offer live with a lot of bandwith to spare.

#14 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:08 PM

My network is 100Mbps ethernet (hard wired through my router)

My internet provider is 10Mbps which is very fast for cable modem,

YOU ARE TOTALLY CLUELESS TO MY POINT?

Even IF I had a slow provider I wouldnt mind waiting for the download and watch the movie the next day as long as it was high quality. As it is now I can watching anything theY offer live with a lot of bandwith to spare.

Sorry to let you know that you won't have luck until your ISP is providing you to your modem a 100 Mbps connection as suggested by DirecTV for models HR2*.
AT-9/Zinwell switch

#15 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:08 PM

Bandwidth is out there, so offer people the option for high quality.

I think a couple of things come into play here. Since we're talking about various internet connection speeds at folks homes, anywhere from D*'s minumum recommendation of 768Kbps up to the FIOS folks with >10Mbps they need to strike a balance of quality vs. size of the files and how long it takes to download. We're already seeing people complain about how long it takes now, increasing the quality would make that worst.

The second thing is that D* isn't charging extra for DoD (unless it's a chargable PPV), so this feature is costing them money for hosting all this content and pushing it out on the net. If they had higher quality on DoD then they're talking more storage space at the hosting site(s) again costing D* more money.

#16 OFFLINE   EFGFE36TWGOU4

EFGFE36TWGOU4

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:10 PM

Sorry to let you know that you won't have luck until your ISP is providing you to your modem a 100 Mbps connection as suggested by DirecTV for models HR2*.

Okay you are trying to be funny, maybe it was me being clueless:D

#17 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

Factor your other devices. Let's not be cheap. The fact you are so quick with responding clarifies you need so much bandwidth to work. Update. If you have the money to buy and HR2* Then get the right internet connection. It's not to make you mad, but to make it work for you. :rolleyes:

No, you said that D* says you need a 100Mbps connection which was not correct. The vast majorty of people can't get 100Mbps connections at home, DSL is usually 3Mbps to 6Mbps max, cable 4Mbps to 7Mbps.

Now if you're talking about your home internal network that's different but it's still not going to make much of a difference since the lowest common demoninator is still going to be your ISP connection.

#18 OFFLINE   EFGFE36TWGOU4

EFGFE36TWGOU4

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:16 PM

I think a couple of things come into play here. Since we're talking about various internet connection speeds at folks homes, anywhere from D*'s minumum recommendation of 768Kbps up to the FIOS folks with >10Mbps they need to strike a balance of quality vs. size of the files and how long it takes to download. We're already seeing people complain about how long it takes now, increasing the quality would make that worst.

The second thing is that D* isn't charging extra for DoD (unless it's a chargable PPV), so this feature is costing them money for hosting all this content and pushing it out on the net. If they had higher quality on DoD then they're talking more storage space at the hosting site(s) again costing D* more money.

I know what you are saying is true, maybe make people pay for quality, that is fine, but at least have the option out there. (5 or 10$ per month charge to access quality downloads) limit people to 3Mbps or something like that, so and HD movie may take a day to download (if you choose the high quality option.) But give people the option, otherwise to people who prefer quality the content is not a compelling choice.

#19 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:17 PM

Okay you are trying to be funny, maybe it was me being clueless:D

I can't be there to hold you by the hand and neither can anyone else, if you don't have the right setup forget it. Funny or not. It's nobodies fault but your own.
AT-9/Zinwell switch

#20 OFFLINE   jtn

jtn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

No, you said that D* says you need a 100Mbps connection which was not correct. The vast majorty of people can't get 100Mbps connections at home, DSL is usually 3Mbps to 6Mbps max, cable 4Mbps to 7Mbps.

Now if you're talking about your home internal network that's different but it's still not going to make much of a difference since the lowest common demoninator is still going to be your ISP connection.

I have tested less than 100, older routers don't have the ability, and do not cut it, so go ahead and waste your time, I could care less. :grin:
AT-9/Zinwell switch

spam firewall