Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tivo owners, help in programming the white directv remotes.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:09 PM

First of all, no you can't program the tivo peanut remote to control a Hr20/Hr21, sorry.

The tivo codes in the white remotes are 01442 & 01142, and tivo codes only found on the av1 or av2 devices include 20618 & 20739.

These codes are address zero, so they will control all your peanut remote controlled tivos no matter what address they're set to, so there is no way to control more then one tivo independently, sorry.

The difference between code 01442 to code 01142, the code 01442 has the exit command on the EXIT key, where code 01142 has the clear command. Code 01442 also has the LIST command.

There won't be a command mapped to the power keys using codes 01442, 01142 and 20618. Just like the tivo peanut. But code 20739 has the standby command mapped to the middle power key in the av1 or av2 device its programmed to.

If you have any other tivo questions regarding the white Directv remotes ask here.
aka Tivoburkee

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:08 PM

1. Program your HR20 remote for the HR20 if not already: Press MENU > Help & Settings > Setup> Remote

2. Move the Mode slider on the top of your remote to AV1.

3. Press and hold “Select” and “Mute” down until the AV1 light flashes twice. Enter the code 01442.

Instructions per Edmund. Thank You!

- Craig

#3 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:46 PM

So I assume impossible to assign other addresses other than zero correct? :(

2 hdtivo and 1 hr20 are stacked. My wife doesnt like the VL900 so i'm actually probably gonna get her a separate remote for everything but I'd be happy to map some keys to the vl900 from the hr20 for my own use.
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

#4 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:01 PM

So I assume impossible to assign other addresses other than zero correct? :(

2 hdtivo and 1 hr20 are stacked. My wife doesnt like the VL900 so i'm actually probably gonna get her a separate remote for everything but I'd be happy to map some keys to the vl900 from the hr20 for my own use.

Sorry but yes, you will have to abandon the tivo codes in the white remote, unless you want to control both tivos at the same time.

The only cheap universal remotes with preset codes for alternate tivo addresses are the One-For-All urc-6820, 8820, 10820, and 6690. Each has preset codes for tivo addresses 1-4. But they don't have a preset code for the HR20, you have to teach. They can learn about 75 or so commands.
aka Tivoburkee

#5 OFFLINE   HDTV1080p

HDTV1080p

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:16 PM

With the 01442 code which features are missing? Thumbs up Thumbs down?
R15-300
HR20-700
HR22-100

#6 OFFLINE   technojunkie

technojunkie

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:32 AM

OK I see the current codes don't allow for addressing the remote to work with multi-tivo installs but why hasn't DTV made that change yet? They have it on all the Hughes/DTV units so it is not like they don't have customers with a need. I happen to have an RC34 and DTV doesn't not even list it on their webstie. What is with those folks?

#7 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:39 PM

OK I see the current codes don't allow for addressing the remote to work with multi-tivo installs but why hasn't DTV made that change yet? They have it on all the Hughes/DTV units so it is not like they don't have customers with a need. I happen to have an RC34 and DTV doesn't not even list it on their webstie. What is with those folks?

Your original dtivo remote allowed you to programmed for alternate remote addresses, just like your hughes oem remote. But now you're using oem remote that came with another model of receiver, it control multiples of that model, if it just happens to control other models of directv receiver, thats a plus, because it doesn't go far enough you damn it?

The only preprogrammed oem or aftermarket universals remotes with preset codes for alternate tivo addresses are the ones I listed previously, the OFA urc 6820, 8820, 10820, and 6690, all other remotes only have address zero on board. Even OFA dropped the these codes from subsequent models, so now no model of remote has alternate tivo codes. Computer programmable remotes like Harmony don't count, because codes aren't on board. So you expect Directv to do something NO other remote supplier does?
aka Tivoburkee

#8 OFFLINE   technojunkie

technojunkie

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:30 PM

Yes I do expect them to provide a fully functional unit. If they did not provide units that had the feature I could see not adding it. But indeed they did provide it and now I am stuck with extra remotes lying around.

What is with you people that try and defend D? What they can't be criticized? They're not big enough to take it? Give us a break.

It's been over a week since I made the switch and frankly it is no where near as friendly as a TiVo. But, I am stuck with it. I was under the impression that perhaps someone from D was lurking and could see the errors of their ways. Guess I was wrong. Please pardon my having questioned a short coming.

#9 OFFLINE   Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:57 PM

First post and glad to have found this forum.

A huge thank you to Edmond and Milo for the codes and instructions about adding the hr10-250 to the new dtv remote. That saved me lots of time and hassle. Many thanks.

I have it all set now but have a question or two. When I push the power off and power on button at the top right of the white remote that seems to be labelled as an on/off for both the dvr and the tv, only the dvr turns on or off. How do I set it up so that that both the dvr and the tv are turned on and off? I have already programmed the tv and when the remote is switched to the "TV" setting the on and off for the tv work fine. Must be some setting that I am missing?

Also, I am having trouble using my hr10's. I had assumed that I would be able to continue watching the programs that I had previously recorded and assumed that I would be able to view local stations that I recieved via antenna. At this point the tivo seems to be getting stuck in searching for the sats. Is there an easy way around this?

Many thanks for any help with this.

K

#10 OFFLINE   Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:55 PM

So...

On my old DirecTiVo unit, I can now use the newer white remote that came with my HR21 (which will NEVER be used in here...the Harmony rules all).

A couple more questions though...

1) I can't seem to find the standby/power command on any of the codes listed above...what am I missing?

2) How does one go about getting this remote to use a "universal" volume/mute control? My old Peanut remote controls the volume of my Yamaha receiver...no matter what any switch is set to...is that possible with the white remotes?

#11 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:56 PM

1) I can't seem to find the standby/power command on any of the codes listed above...what am I missing?

Did your tivo remote have a standby command? so if the original oem remote didn't have such a command, what do you expect the white remote to have it? Anyways try code 20739 on AV1 or AV2 device, try the mddle power key in that device.

2) How does one go about getting this remote to use a "universal" volume/mute control? My old Peanut remote controls the volume of my Yamaha receiver...no matter what any switch is set to...is that possible with the white remotes?

Once theres Audio code for your AV receiver programmed to either AV1 or AV2 device, yes you have to waste device on your AV receiver.

The volume keys NEVER initially with any audio code, not until you do the following, first there HAS to be tv code programmed to the tv device or the volume keys won't work at all, then:

1. av1 or av2
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press SELECT
aka Tivoburkee

#12 OFFLINE   Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:16 AM

Edmund - Thanks for your interesting response to Paul. I am guessing that you may have missed my post just before his. I am hoping you may be able to help me out with this. Thanks.

K

First post and glad to have found this forum.

A huge thank you to Edmond and Milo for the codes and instructions about adding the hr10-250 to the new dtv remote. That saved me lots of time and hassle. Many thanks.

I have it all set now but have a question or two. When I push the power off and power on button at the top right of the white remote that seems to be labelled as an on/off for both the dvr and the tv, only the dvr turns on or off. How do I set it up so that that both the dvr and the tv are turned on and off? I have already programmed the tv and when the remote is switched to the "TV" setting the on and off for the tv work fine. Must be some setting that I am missing?

Also, I am having trouble using my hr10's. I had assumed that I would be able to continue watching the programs that I had previously recorded and assumed that I would be able to view local stations that I recieved via antenna. At this point the tivo seems to be getting stuck in searching for the sats. Is there an easy way around this?

Many thanks for any help with this.

K

#13 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:01 AM

Edmund - Thanks for your interesting response to Paul. I am guessing that you may have missed my post just before his. I am hoping you may be able to help me out with this. Thanks.

K

Its upto the code you use if there are working commands mapped to the TV ON & OFF keys, many tv codes in the white remote don't have proper commands on these keys. These include brands such as panasonic, mitsubishi and many samsungs. All I can tell you is to try all codes for your brand. You can also try searching for these commands:

With tv off,

1. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
2. enter 9 9 1, wait two blinks
3. enter 1
4. press and release TV/DVR ON key
5. point the remote at the tv and keep pressing & releasing the CH UP key, if and when the tv turns on
6. press SELECT to lock in code
aka Tivoburkee

#14 OFFLINE   Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:59 PM

Did your tivo remote have a standby command? so if the original oem remote didn't have such a command, what do you expect the white remote to have it? Anyways try code 20739 on AV1 or AV2 device, try the mddle power key in that device.

I don't much use the Peanut remote but my wife does...ALOT. It's getting a bit old and I'd like to use the white one for the old DirecTiVo...which I'm now able to do. While the Power On/Off button did nothing, I've found that pressing the big "menu" button turns the system on in a similar fashion to the Peanut. I can also power it off in that same matter now.

Thanks a ton!

Once theres Audio code for your AV receiver programmed to either AV1 or AV2 device, yes you have to waste device on your AV receiver.

The volume keys NEVER initially with any audio code, not until you do the following, first there HAS to be tv code programmed to the tv device or the volume keys won't work at all, then:

1. av1 or av2
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press SELECT

Programming the TV first was the step I hadn't figured out and apparently kept missing. Thanks to you, the new HR21 "white" remote now seems completely capable of doing everything the old DirecTiVo "peanut" remote did.

Again, thanks a TON!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...