Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wish List News, 11/14/07

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:32 AM

Thanks to the 563 voters who have taken the time to let DirecTV know how they value the various Wish List requests! Our voting sample size is now large enough to be 99% confident that if all eligible HR20/21 voters weighed-in, the scores for each item would vary no more than 5.44% from the current results.

The good news this week is that another of our long-standing requests has been tentatively addressed in the latest HR20-700 CE:
  • [...]access [...] home videos [...] directly from Intel® Viiv™ PCs - 2006 Annual Report, p.7.
Due to lack of voter support, another request is being moved to the "back burner" this week...
  • EXIT should clear on-screen graphics during PLAYBACK, but never EXIT to Live TV.
If you haven't yet let D* know how you value all the requests on the list, please do so here! Remember, it only takes a minute to update the items that were added since you last voted. And for new voters, registration is quick and painless, I promise! :)

WHAT'S HOT! Here are the top 20 requests:

• Recording HISTORY should always display the correct reason a show was "Canceled", "Deleted", or "Not Recorded".
  • Flag "partial" recordings on the PLAYLIST. The show's PROGRESS BAR should reflect the partial time as well.
  • OPTION to backup your HR20 settings and/or SERIES LINKS via network or USB drive.
  • Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package in GUIDE and SEARCH results.
  • Dual Live Buffers - Toggle between two live shows with 30+ minute buffers on each.
  • Allow editing of the "CHANNELS I GET" list, similar to the way the OFF-AIR channel list is editable.
  • Ability to edit all shows in the PRIORITIZER, even when there are none upcoming, page 28.
  • OPTION to display more GRID GUIDE information. More channels and hours.
  • Remember if the LIVE BUFFER is PAUSED, when using PREV to toggle between LIVE TV and recording PLAYBACK.
  • "BLACKED-OUT" programs should be tagged, to prevent scheduling blank recordings.
  • At the Delete/Don't Delete pop-up at the end of recording, RW and REPLAY should still function.
  • Add more program description INFO, to allow better SEARCHES and more show details, like "Original Air Date".
  • Ignore irrelevant words or punctuation ("Manual:", A, An, The, 'Til) when alphabetically sorting MY PLAYLIST.
  • Show program description in the "To Do List" and "History", instead of a static message.
  • Automatically pad a recording's start and/or stop time by one minute, when it won't cause a conflict.
  • When an unexpected change to a scheduled recording's end time will conflict with scheduled recordings in the next time slot, do not cancel any recordings. Record one as a "partial".
  • Undelete, or the ability to allow user acccess to a "recycle bin" to restore a recording.
  • SERIES LINK recording options as follows: RECORD: [First Run/Repeat/Both/All with Duplicates]; KEEP AT MOST: [1/2/3/4/5/10/ALL]; WHEN LIMIT REACHED: [Delete Oldest/Stop Recording]; AUTODELETE WHEN DISK FULL?: [Y/N]
  • OPTION for the PROGRESS BAR to clear immediately when hitting PLAY to exit from a CRUISE CONTROL function, or after the last ADVANCE.
  • Implement SEARCH and AUTORECORD as described below, or the key concepts contained within, including top-level CATEGORY search, TITLE AUTORECORD, multiple keywords, wildcards, BOOLEAN logic, CHANNEL filters and REMOTE keypad shortcuts. (Please see the Wish List for the complete request.)

WHAT'S NOT! The 10 lowest scoring items (lowest last):

• FORMAT button should bring up a list of formats to choose from, rather than cycling through them.
  • Add a line on the info screen with date and time of last reboot.
  • Menu OPTION to set the front panel blue light brightness levels for all LEDs.
  • "Digital Living Network Alliance" certification of features intended to interoperate with other DLNA-compliant products.
  • OPTION to disable grouping of shows on MY PLAYLIST.
  • Configurable screen saver time. "Off", or a selectable time period.
  • Ability to also play Music, Pictures and Video from a USB connected flash drive.
  • The UP ARROW should toggle between the SD and HD versions of the current channel.
  • OPTION to RECORD a "hidden" SD duplicate when scheduling a recording or SERIES LINK.
  • Ability to toggle channel banner between full width and only channel/logo/time/date.
Only 30 of the current Wish List requests are contained in this post. You may view the entire list here. /steve
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ebockelman

ebockelman

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:14 AM

Steve,

Great job with the wish list! It's great we have a way to make our wants known to Directv.

I'm a little surprised MRV isn't in the top 20.

#3 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:18 AM

Once again, thank you Steve.

Now for a small nit-pick: Could you update the heading on the page to be 'HR20/21 WISH LIST'?

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

Now for a small nit-pick: Could you update the heading on the page to be 'HR20/21 WISH LIST'?

Good pick-up! Wish List pages have been updated. Thanks. /steve
/steve

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:41 AM

Since this is the HR20/HR21 forum, wouldn't that be redundant?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:47 AM

Since this is the HR20/HR21 forum, wouldn't that be redundant?

I think Atari meant the Wish List survey page title. :) /steve
/steve

#7 OFFLINE   richlife

richlife

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:30 AM

I agree that this is a pretty good foundation for D* decision-making, but take a look at this post: http://www.dbstalk.c...d=1#post1283284.

Since this is a good foundation, freeze it and make a restart -- I have to question the results if the "top priority" item gets so little notice. If the results are the same after a month, then you have verification. If not, shouldn't the current selections get the real attention?
Rich Beaudry
UNC Tar Heel '69, '75
Woodworker, grandfather, DirecTV 1994
Whole-Home Slimline w/ SWM.
A) HR20-700: NR 4aa; HDMI Audio: HDMI, TOSLINK. Res-1080i; Native- On; eSata-No; Remote-RF (2).
B) HR23-700: NR 4aa; Video&Audio HDMI. Res.-720p; Native-On; Network-No; eSata-No; Remote-IR.
C) H23-600: NR 0440; HDMI. Res.-1080p; Native-On; eSata-No; Remote-IR.
TVs: A) Sony 50" Rear Proj KDS50A2000 & VIZIO 22" LCD M220VA; B) Sony 37" Rear Proj KDF37H1000; C) Toshiba 40" LCD 40FT1U

#8 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:09 AM

WOW! Quick fix.

Thanks, Steve.

#9 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:36 AM

I agree that this is a pretty good foundation for D* decision-making, but take a look at this post: http://www.dbstalk.c...d=1#post1283284.

Since this is a good foundation, freeze it and make a restart -- I have to question the results if the "top priority" item gets so little notice.

To date, well over 30 requests have been implemented, but many from the "bottom" of the list, even though many items, such as DLBs, have been in the top 5 since the Wish List survey started over a year ago. I wish I understood what internal processes D* uses to determine whether or not one of our feature requests should be implemented, but I don't. :)

If the results are the same after a month, then you have verification. If not, shouldn't the current selections get the real attention?

I have to respectfully disagree that this item is going unnoticed. "Recording HISTORY should always display the correct reason a show was "Canceled", "Deleted", or "Not Recorded" may be the tip of the larger "missed recordings" iceberg that D* is specifically addressing in our latest CE ("recording reliablility").

Regarding "re-starting" the list. Votes are unique to registered users. There is no chance that one person could unfairly influence the ranking of any one item, so there's no point in asking folks to re-vote.

More importantly, we are not asking voters to prioritize the list. We are just asking them to tell us whether or not they would use a particular feature if it was implemented, so the list is self-prioritizing based on anticipated use.

While items in the weekly TOP 20 may come and go as new voters weigh-in, they never drop below the top half of the 88 items currently on the list. I'm hopeful that D* looks at the complete SURVEY results and not just the top 20 I post here weekly. :) /steve
/steve

#10 OFFLINE   ShmoeTheHo

ShmoeTheHo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:08 PM

Not sure if I'm supposed to request an addition to the wish list here, but here's one that's been bugging me.

Considering that the HR20/21 are now both connected to networks due to the advent of DOD, and also that most of the interactive data (Sunday Ticket scores, player tracker, notifications, etc) are being pulled over the dish VERY SLOWLY.

Why not, if the HR20/21 is connected to a network, pull this data over the internet (much faster) -- if it loses its network connection, or has none at all, fall back to pulling it over the satellite. It seems the slowest part of any of these features is the data transfer, forgive me if the HR20/21 is actually spending most of this time loading software or something along those lines.

This doesn't seem hard to implement from my POV, and it would make this features WAY more usable. Game lounge menuing, the interactive channel, etc.

Submitted for your consideration :)

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:23 PM

Not sure if I'm supposed to request an addition to the wish list here, but here's one that's been bugging me.

Considering that the HR20/21 are now both connected to networks due to the advent of DOD, and also that most of the interactive data (Sunday Ticket scores, player tracker, notifications, etc) are being pulled over the dish VERY SLOWLY.

Why not, if the HR20/21 is connected to a network, pull this data over the internet (much faster) -- if it loses its network connection, or has none at all, fall back to pulling it over the satellite. It seems the slowest part of any of these features is the data transfer, forgive me if the HR20/21 is actually spending most of this time loading software or something along those lines.

This doesn't seem hard to implement from my POV, and it would make this features WAY more usable. Game lounge menuing, the interactive channel, etc.

Submitted for your consideration :)

Excellent question! I'll defer to Earl or Tom on this one, because I'm not sure if there is sufficient excess satellite bandwidth available to accomodate this idea. Perhaps when the SD channels go away there might be surplus capacity?

(I'll also copy your post and my reply over to the regular Wish List thread.) /steve
/steve

#12 OFFLINE   ShmoeTheHo

ShmoeTheHo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

Excellent question! I'll defer to Earl or Tom on this one, because I'm not sure if there is sufficient excess satellite bandwidth available to accomodate this idea. Perhaps when the SD channels go away there might be surplus capacity?

(I'll also copy your post and my reply over to the regular Wish List thread.) /steve

Steve, just to clarify I don't mean actually downloading the on-demand content (movies, shows etc), but you know when you hit the 'Active' button and it takes a while for the weather to show up, etc, and the menus with the selections to populate because it's being pulled over the dish? Or the player tracker/scores when you hit the yellow button on a sunday ticket channel, all of these things lag majorly (in my opinion) because of the slow, latent data speed of pulling it over dish.

So, I don't think any more bandwidth would be needed on the satellite's behalf, if anything it would free up that little bit due to whatever information being pulled over the internet instead, at a much faster speed. Say that connection isnt available or the user hasn't hooked the HR20/21 up to a network, then they just do as we do right now and wait forever for the menu to show up :)

#13 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:41 PM

Steve, just to clarify I don't mean actually downloading the on-demand content (movies, shows etc), but you know when you hit the 'Active' button and it takes a while for the weather to show up, etc, and the menus with the selections to populate because it's being pulled over the dish? Or the player tracker/scores when you hit the yellow button on a sunday ticket channel, all of these things lag majorly (in my opinion) because of the slow, latent data speed of pulling it over dish.

So, I don't think any more bandwidth would be needed on the satellite's behalf, if anything it would free up that little bit due to whatever information being pulled over the internet instead, at a much faster speed. Say that connection isnt available or the user hasn't hooked the HR20/21 up to a network, then they just do as we do right now and wait forever for the menu to show up :)

Doh! I misunderstood your request. :) I was hearing movies, but you were saying interactive content!

So you are saying, in essence, if the HR20/21 is networked, deliver interactive channel content over the network instead of the SAT.

Again, I'll leave it up to others more knowledgeable than me to comment! :) /steve
/steve

#14 OFFLINE   Hansen

Hansen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:03 PM

I may have missed it. Is there a wishlist item to have active and work in conjunction with each other both the internal harddrive and esata external drive?
HR20-700 (networked) with 750gb eSATA drive via HDMI to Panasonic 42" HD plasma
HR20-700 (networked) via HDMI to Pioneer 50" HD plasma with customized URC Complete Control MX-3000 touch screen remote using RF
HR20-700 (networked) via HDMI to Samsung 19" HD LCD
H20-100 via HDMI to Toshiba 19" HD LCD
H20-100 (now retired and collecting dust) via HDMI<DVI to Sony 42" HD plasma
H21-100 via HDMI to Sony 40" HD LCD (in outdoor pavillion)

SWMLine dish

DirecTV since 1997

#15 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:18 PM

I may have missed it. Is there a wishlist item to have active and work in conjunction with each other both the internal harddrive and esata external drive?

Not at this time. Again, I defer to others, but IIRC, I believe it's been determined the h/w architecture doesn't support 2 simultaneous SATA connections. I could be misremembering that, though. Help, anyone? :) /steve
/steve

#16 OFFLINE   Hansen

Hansen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:33 PM

Not at this time. Again, I defer to others, but IIRC, I believe it's been determined the h/w architecture doesn't support 2 simultaneous SATA connections. I could be misremembering that, though. Help, anyone? :) /steve

In looking at this thread and comment by Earl, it seems like that it's possible to do it. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=109282 Assuming I'm understanding the comments correctly that it is feasible, can you add it to your wish list?

Do we know if the programmers are even thinking of making eSATA add-on instead of replacing ?

Why ? Have contents that would not able to catch up to plug in an eSATA.

Yes... we know they are considering it, but absolutly no timetable on when/if it would be ever done.

So right now..... anyone considering eSATA should continue under the assumption that it will NOT be an add-on

HR20-700 (networked) with 750gb eSATA drive via HDMI to Panasonic 42" HD plasma
HR20-700 (networked) via HDMI to Pioneer 50" HD plasma with customized URC Complete Control MX-3000 touch screen remote using RF
HR20-700 (networked) via HDMI to Samsung 19" HD LCD
H20-100 via HDMI to Toshiba 19" HD LCD
H20-100 (now retired and collecting dust) via HDMI<DVI to Sony 42" HD plasma
H21-100 via HDMI to Sony 40" HD LCD (in outdoor pavillion)

SWMLine dish

DirecTV since 1997

#17 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:53 PM

Man, people have to start voting for an option to get rid of the picture in the corner while in the List. I have been spoiled on a couple of shows that way so far.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#18 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:59 PM

Man, people have to start voting for an option to get rid of the picture in the corner while in the List. I have been spoiled on a couple of shows that way so far.

That's actually a feature that I love about the 20! One thing right away that I liked over the D* Tivo. How about this: Have an option to turn this feature off?:)
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#19 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:20 PM

That's actually a feature that I love about the 20! One thing right away that I liked over the D* Tivo. How about this: Have an option to turn this feature off?:)

That's already on the list. :) /steve
/steve

#20 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:45 PM

In looking at this thread and comment by Earl, it seems like that it's possible to do it. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=109282 Assuming I'm understanding the comments correctly that it is feasible, can you add it to your wish list?

Well assuming it's possible, it would be great if you could run a separate thread/poll beforehand, to see if there's a great demand for this feature. HR20 eSata storage has been around since October '06, and this is the first Wish List request for combined storage I've seen since I started monitoring the Wish List back in March.

Don't get me wrong... it's not that it's not a good idea, but we're trying to be careful about adding items to the list as we attempt to shrink it down to a more highly-focused set of requests. E.g., by comparison, the stand-alone TiVo and VIP 622/722 (Dish DVRs) are arguably less full-featured than the HR20/21, but their wish lists each have less than 30 requests on them. Our list is currently at 88 items! :)

I guess the good news is that based on Earl's quote, this item may already be under consideration by D* anyway. /steve
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...