Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Noob Question...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   giantrobot

giantrobot

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 11:07 PM

I recently moved to Austin Texas and I'm going to buy a HDTV ready TV. I currently don't have cable or DTV, but will decide on one or the other pretty soon.

Time Warner is offering HDTV receivers at no additional cost with their digital cable package. They also have quite a few channels of HDTV content included in the package. My question is how does DTV even begin to compete? I see that many of you have bought $500 ++ HDTV receivers and get 1 channel(HDTV net).

Am I missing something here or is it an early adopter thing??? DTV seems to be missing the boat on this HDTV thing.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 01:18 AM

HDTV is being experimented with by cable companies to see if they can win back marketshare from DBS. Cable has more capacity to show HDTV, but tends to be more expensive.

#3 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 11:41 AM

And they will get customers back if DBS does not fight back. The problem is, can there be a profit made doing all of this?

#4 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 08:53 PM

I'm in Austin as well. May I strongly suggest that you take a look at the (lack of) picture quality on all the TWC channels before making your decision.

In my neighborhood, the analog channels (the vast majority of the so-called "digital" lineup) are noisy. The digital channels are more pixelated than anything you see on DirecTV.

Frankly, putting up with TWC isn't worth it for an extra HDTV channel, IMHO.

#5 OFFLINE   Pam

Pam

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 07:59 AM

What a timely question for me! I live in Austin and have had TW Cable for years. I'm strongly considering switching - trading my 2 Standalone TiVo's for DirecTivo's. The reason - I'm fed up with the lousy picture quality I get from cable.

My question - how are the local channels from DirecTv? Are they better than with cable? Or is it better to get an old fashioned antenna for the locals? I watch a lot of network television and if DirecTV isn't going to improve those channel's picture quality than I'm wasting my time.

I very much want to make the switch. Just gotta convince the hubby that it will be worth it. Please tell me your opinions!

#6 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 08:45 AM

My advice is TRY DIGITAL CABLE FIRST!

In most cities to get Digital Cable Installed is free and usually you get your first month of Digital service free as well.

Try it and see if you like it.

In many cases people take this route and it makes their switch to satellite easier, while in other cases people are happy with the Digital Cable and are glad they didn't invest in satellite equipment. Each cable system is different and uses different equipment.

I say take the cheepp road first then if you don't like it to inves tyour hard earned money into a good satellite system.

I know many people who have done this and were glad they tried Digital Cable first, now in their minds they made a clear observation and were able to make the best decission for their needs again withouth laying out a large outlay of money first.

(I know many people who purchased satellite systems then always think in the back of their head, is digital cable better? So again I say if you can get a chance to try Digital Cable first (and usually for free) you can make the best decission for you.

BTW Welcome to DBSTalk.COM PAM and GIANTROBOT :hi:

#7 OFFLINE   Pam

Pam

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 09:50 AM

Scott,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've currently got Digital Cable and I'm not impressed. The digital channels are clear enough, but the analog channels are lousy and are no better with the digital cable box than with straight cable. So will I see a difference with those channels if I switch to satellite?

#8 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 09:52 AM

Pam it is my opinion that you will see a difference if you switch to satellite. Do you have any electronics stores in your area where you can go see satellite TV in action?

Your local retailer should be able to let you play a bit so you can see the service before ordering any equipment. :)

#9 OFFLINE   giantrobot

giantrobot

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 08:36 PM

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I will try digital cable first and see if its worth it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...