Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dead Tuner?!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:30 AM

Okay I took box over to friends house to watch my Packers lose Thursday night. Tuner 2 is dead, bottom line unfortunately. However the signal drops on tuner one did not occur. So while I will need a new box due to dead tuner, I also do have a problem either in wiring or in dish.

Now you're getting somewhere!

.....or, more likely, that your mount is sagging from the 35 lb weight of the dish and needs to be more firmly secured.

Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   gb33

gb33

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:03 PM

Final test. I took HR20 to bedroom and hooked it up. Obviously Tuner 2 is still dead. But also the breakups did continue to happen with all HD channels, as well as the even - odd disparity between transponders. So I know I need to contact DTV about exchanging box, which as I understand is all part of the lease fee. But what about my dish? I am assuming either the NB is bad or the built in multiswitch. Am I going to be screwed or will they send out a dish as well? They send them out free if you move.
In regards to your statement about the weight of the dish sagging. In addition to having the "heavy" non-slimline dish, mine is mounted at the peak of the roof on the side facia. So of the 4 bolts on the foortprint of the mount, only the top 2 are secured, not to mention the wind kite that that thing is up there! I should put some kind of a "bridge brace" across there so the botom part of the mounting plate can be secure. Of course now it is 20 degrees out and 15mph winds. I will admit this may play havoc on the allignment, but why would this have any bearing on the even transponders being low and the odds being good. Not to mention the 101's all being perfectly fine?

#23 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:42 AM

I'm not sure when your "non-Slimline" AT-9 "sidecar" dish was installed, but it appears you're out of the install warranty period, if you got your HR20 in August. I would recommend you sign up for the Protection Plan and either wait the 30 days or pay the $14.95 not to wait, because there's some work that needs to be done! Maybe you can do it yourself.

Your dish needs to come down, and the area under the facia board reinforced. Then the mount needs to be re-installed with all 4 bolts and the mast needs to be dead level plumb. It may be difficult to create a sufficiently solid mounting surface in your circumstances.

Although it's likely those odds and evens will even out once you re-align the dish, there is also the possibility that you have a hinky LNB, and since the AT-9 LNB's are no longer available, you'd need a new AU9-S Slimline. A pole-mounted brand new Slimline on the ground is a better option, unless you've got line-of-sight or aesthetic issues. If you need one, you're entitled to that in either a $70 service call or a call covered by the Protection Plan, including a pole mount, although you may have come up with a "contribution" to actually make what's supposed to happen for free actually happen.

The 101's will always be fine, unless the dish starts swinging in the wind, because the alignment is nowhere near as critical as the alignment for the KA satellites.

So after signing up for the PP, you could call and get the HR20 replaced, hoping that you'll get another HR20. But I would explain that you require an HR20, and if you receive an HR21, you'll be returning it. They currently are unable to specify what you'll be sent. You'll save the $19.95 s/h, if you're on the PP. Then you'll have to figure out what to do about the dish.

Don't try to combine the two issues, because the service techs are highly unlikely to have any HR20's, just HR21's, although they are likely to be brand new.
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
H20-600 (x 2)

#24 OFFLINE   gb33

gb33

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

Thanks. The box itself is covered though since I pay the lease fee correct? I get and agree the dish allignment is very important. What I don't get is how an even transponder is good and an odd is bad? Are they in different locations? I thought if I'm hitting the sat Im hitting the sat and all its transponders. Wrong eh?

#25 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

Thanks. The box itself is covered though since I pay the lease fee correct?.....

Right!

.....I get and agree the dish allignment is very important. What I don't get is how an even transponder is good and an odd is bad? Are they in different locations? I thought if I'm hitting the sat Im hitting the sat and all its transponders. Wrong eh?

.....You need to get your 103(B) evens out of the 60's into at least the 80's. I'm not real hopeful about this prospect with your AT-9, because usually you find out-of-alignment AT-9's, especially those with Calamp LNB's, showing about a 10 point difference between all the odds and evens, and you can get them up into the 90's on all tp's, except the Calamps, which usually only peak out in the mid-80's max. But you've already got the odd's in the 90's, so you probably just need a new Slimline dish......

At this point, it is a well-established phenomenon that slightly out-of-alignment dishes show higher odd or higher even 103(B) transponder signal strengths across the board, depending upon whether the EL is high or low. They even out when the dish EL is perfectly aligned. Usually they don't show as much disparity as yours shows, which is why I said you should consider a new dish. I'm not real hopeful you'll ever get mostly all 90's on your AT-9's 103(B) LNB. I could also be wrong. If you want to correct your inadequate mount, re-plumb your mast, and re-align your AT-9 yourself to see what you've really got, we can work on that angle first.
Stew in Florida

H20-600 (x 2)

#26 OFFLINE   gb33

gb33

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

new twist! I am assuming it is due to the weight of snow on the dish, but my signal has been holding 90% better. I say 90 because it is still breaking up but much much less. Signal disparity is closer to a 20 differential vs the typicl 30. Now in low 70's on a couple even transponders. I wish I dove into this a few months back when it was abouve freezing, and no snow on the roof. Also kind of wish I had mounted it to the chimney which is on opposite end of house. Would just involve re-running cables in attic, but would be a much sturdier and les wind exposed mount. But that is not happening this winter. I also wish I wasn't getting a vasectomy tomorrow so I could work on this. Ah well, at least I can call in my box while laying in bed.

#27 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:33 PM

Once your coax is cut, your dish won't output any more signals.... :)
Stew in Florida

H20-600 (x 2)

#28 OFFLINE   cweave02

cweave02

W4SKO

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:08 AM

I also wish I wasn't getting a vasectomy tomorrow so I could work on this. Ah well, at least I can call in my box while laying in bed.

TMI! TMI!!:sure:
Good luck with the recovery!:)

#29 OFFLINE   gb33

gb33

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:09 PM

Boy that was fun. At least I am getting my HD channels on my one tuner currently.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...