Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What do you do when D* never sends you a RTM box?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:04 PM

I had a busted HR20 two months ago. Installer came out, replaced, and told me that D* would be sending me a box to send it back. The box hasn't came. The bad unit is in my storage room. And I haven't been billed either. I'm assuming Murphy will kick in if I put I throw the thing out - the next day D* will send me a box...

But do I want to spend 30 minutes of my life trying to explain to a D* rep that I need a send back box sent to me?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,286 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:05 PM

Yes, call them or you'll be face $300+ fee. Calculate your risk.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,633 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:23 PM

I agree with Mr. Smith. It's possible the box or paperwork was lost.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

I agree.

I had one of my HR10-250's replaced with another HR20-700.

They told me a box was on the way and so I waited and waited. Next thing I know is there was a $470 charge on my bill.

Keep calling them until you get it.
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#5 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:43 PM

A slightly better option than calling, would be to spend 10 minutes to write a short letter and drop it in the mail to D*. With a phone call, you're at the mercy of D* to make sure they properly capture everything and take action. With a letter, they still need to do their thing, but you have a written record of your request.

Also, the time it takes to write the letter and get a stamp on the envelope might be less time than you spend on hold and/or dicussing the topic with the CSR. :eek2:

And if you don't get a response, simply drop a second letter in the mail a month later (this time should only take a minute). If they ever charge you, offer to send them new copies of your letter, explain that the charge needs to be removed immediately and a return box sent. They shouldn't hold your money hostage because they screwed up.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#6 OFFLINE   VAman

VAman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:21 PM

Took me three phone calls over a three week period, but they finally sent me the box to return my old H20. Very easy to pack up the old unit and call Fedex, it's all prepaid, very quick and easy.
Plain vanilla setup....5LNB + HR23-700 connected via HDMI to a 37" Vizio HDTV. DirecTV customer since 1996.

#7 OFFLINE   RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:17 PM

Just as a follow up. I contacted D* via the web based support scheme and they sent me.... TWO Boxes. Oy!

Now I have a backup the next time they forget to send me a RTM box.

#8 OFFLINE   gblues

gblues

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:06 AM

Robert,

That is potentially a problem. If you got two boxes, that means there are two RMAs out for your 1 receiver. When you return the receiver, the duplicate RMA won't be cancelled and you'll get charged.

Open the 'return documents enclosed' envelope from the box you won't be using and write down the fedex tracking #. Call customer service and have them look up and cancel the RMA associated w/ that tracking #.

#9 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

• Moderators
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:51 AM

I don't know what the problem has been with DirecTV sending recovery kits lately.

I turned an H20 off about 5+ weeks ago and the first CSR said 3 to 5 days. I waited and week and a half and nothing. So I called again and that CSR said he does not know why the first CSR said that because it takes a week to process and another week to be shipped to me. Well it has been almost 4 weeks now and still nothing.

Also he said he didn't even see anything about the first one be requested by the first CSR so he set me up for another one.

So I will be calling again later today.

#10 OFFLINE   sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:47 AM

I turned an STB off on 10/28. My November bill showed a charge of $200 for equipment that was not returned. I called in to ask what the charge was for and that's when they sent out the box. I asked that the charge be taken off my bill but they wouldn't do it - even though it was their fault they didn't send out the box. 2 days to receive the return box. 3 days in transit back to them. The shipment was delivered last Tuesday, but the charge is still not off of my account. They claim it will take 7 - 10 days for the return to clear their system.

When you do get the box and send the equipment back - make sure you keep a copy of the return label. With that, you can go online at FedEX to track and make sure DirecTV received the equipment. Once you see that they have received it, then print out the tracking info for your records. That is the only way you can prove they received the equipment.
DirecTV HR20-700 & R15
Apple iPhone & iPod Shuffle
Sirius Stiletto & Sirius in-dash Mercury Mariner

#11 OFFLINE   o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationBaltimore Md.

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:34 AM

I would forget calling D*, go to their web site and send an email, I had the very same problem and they fixed it within the hour.

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,633 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:13 AM

I turned an STB off on 10/28. My November bill showed a charge of $200 for equipment that was not returned. I called in to ask what the charge was for and that's when they sent out the box. I asked that the charge be taken off my bill but they wouldn't do it - even though it was their fault they didn't send out the box. 2 days to receive the return box. 3 days in transit back to them. The shipment was delivered last Tuesday, but the charge is still not off of my account. They claim it will take 7 - 10 days for the return to clear their system.

When you do get the box and send the equipment back - make sure you keep a copy of the return label. With that, you can go online at FedEX to track and make sure DirecTV received the equipment. Once you see that they have received it, then print out the tracking info for your records. That is the only way you can prove they received the equipment.

An excellent post, and an excellent suggestion!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:45 AM

Do the RTM boxes show up as a Pending Order on the website?
--Larry
2 HR20-100 * 1 HR21-700 * 1 HR20-700 * 1 HR23-700 * 2 H23-xxx
AU9-SL3/WB616 MS/OTA (CM4228+CM7777)

spam firewall