Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New EPISODE INFO Viewing Behavior

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

Poll: How should "PLAYLIST/EPISODES/SEARCH RESULTS" program INFO display work? (66 member(s) have cast votes)

How should "PLAYLIST/EPISODES/SEARCH RESULTS" program INFO display work?

1. I would like to be able to view the previous/next program's info without returning to the list to select it. (46 votes [67.65%])

Percentage of vote: 67.65%

2. It's fine the way it is. I don't mind returning to the list to select the next program. (13 votes [19.12%])

Percentage of vote: 19.12%

3. I may or may not use this feature, but don't mind if it's added for others who would. (9 votes [13.24%])

Percentage of vote: 13.24%

4. Other. Explained below. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,175 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:22 PM

One feature of the HR10 that I sorely miss is when viewing a program's INFO screen from the PLAYLIST, EPISODES, TODO LIST, HISTORY, PRIORITIZER or SEARCH results, CHANNEL UP/DOWN would display the program INFO for the previous or next program from whatever list I was currently viewing. IOW, I didn't have to return to that list to select another episode.

If the HR20/21 could do this, e.g., you would be able to go to the PLAYLIST and quickly scroll through the episode descriptions for each title in a folder. Currently, you have to go BACK to the PLAYLIST to select the next title, and of course when you do, the cursor is always positioned at the top of the list, making it especially annoying if you're trying to see the episode descriptions in your "Without a Trace" folder. :eek2:

And when you're currently viewing program INFO from a SEARCH result or EPISODE list, you not only have to go BACK to the list, but you have to then wait for the list to rebuild again, at which point you're put back at the top of a list you may want to be 5 shows down in. Not very user friendly, if you ask me! :(

Both "Channel UP/DOWN" and the "UP/DOWN" arrows are currently used to scroll through a program's description if it is longer than one screen, if D* implemented this feature, they'd either have to designate other keys to select previous/next INFO, or remap CHAN UP/DOWN to just display INFO for PREV/NEXT program. I believe the color buttons are all available when viewing episode INFO, so it should not be a problem to find available keys for this.

I'd be curious to know if others agree with this new feature idea. If so, I'd like to add this to the Wish List:

"When viewing a selected program's INFO from the PLAYLIST, SEARCH RESULTS, EPISODES, TODO LIST, HISTORY or PRIORIZER, either CHANNEL UP/DOWN or the RED/GREEN buttons should immediately scroll to the INFO for the PREV/NEXT program from that list."

Please bear in mind that this proposal would change nothing for folks who prefer the current method of going BACK and selecting another episode from whatever list they are viewing.

Thanks in advance for your vote and comments! :) /steve
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

Great poll. It would indeed be nice to be on the "details" page and go to the next program in the current list without leaving the current screen.

To avoid navigation problems and trick-play problems, I suggest using RED and GREEN to go to the previous and next program's description. (Just add these as hints at the bottom of the menu column.)

(On a related note, it would sure be nice if the program description also displayed at the top of the To Do list!)

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,175 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:57 PM

(On a related note, it would sure be nice if the program description also displayed at the top of the To Do list!)

+1000! And at the top of HISTORY as well. /steve
/steve

#4 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:21 PM

Another way to enable quick navigation without breaking existing functionality would be to simply add two new options to the menu at the left of the program information: "Next Item" and "Prev Item". Then the user can simply navigate to the option and just hit SELECT to scroll through results without ever leaving the info screen ...

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:28 PM

It is a good idea, but, Steve, you do know that doesn't work on a Tivo when you use folders.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,175 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:45 PM

It is a good idea, but, Steve, you do know that doesn't work on a Tivo when you use folders.

I forgot that, but since the HR20 PLAYLIST does currently let you ARROW DOWN from the last program in one folder directly to the next folder, I don't think that would be an issue here. I could be wrong, of course. :)

And if I am wrong, it would still be nice to be able to at least quickly move from one episode's info to another within a folder, and on all the other episode lists that don't use folders.

/steve
/steve

#7 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:18 PM

While we're discussing where to DISPLAY the sorely limited program info, I'd like to see MORE info, like the detailed information on a TiVo.

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,175 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:02 PM

While we're discussing where to DISPLAY the sorely limited program info, I'd like to see MORE info, like the detailed information on a TiVo.

Yes. That request is on the Wish List, as well as one to display the selected program's info at the top of the TODO and HISTORY lists:

Add more program description INFO, to allow better SEARCHES and to display more show details, like "Original Air Date".

Show the highlighted program's description in the "To Do List" and "History", instead of a static message.

If you haven't yet let D* know you want these and other new features, please do so here! :) /steve
/steve

#9 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:58 AM

Great poll. It would indeed be nice to be on the "details" page and go to the next program in the current list without leaving the current screen.

To avoid navigation problems and trick-play problems, I suggest using RED and GREEN to go to the previous and next program's description. (Just add these as hints at the bottom of the menu column.)

Why not use the Channel/Page key like on the HR10?
Joe

HR20-100, HR24NC-100, HR21-700
Samsung HLS5687WX 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver
Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player
4-channel NTSC modulator

#10 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:19 AM

Steve, I just realized this is going to need some fine tuning if you want to use CHANNEL-UP/DOWN ...

When you view the INFO from any of the features mentioned, the selector is in the left-hand menu, where CHANNEL-UP/DOWN act as menu navigation keys to jump to the top and bottom of the menu. To use these keys to scroll between INFO descriptions for multiple programs, the user would first have to scroll RIGHT to get into the description area.

RED/GREEN would work well, as users would be able to leave the selector in the left-hand menu.

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,175 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:28 AM

Why not use the Channel/Page key like on the HR10?

It's already assigned to paging the program synopsis info, if it's more than one screenfull. But actually, the UP/DOWN arrows do that as well, so D* could repurpose CHAN UP/DOWN for this purpose.

I should probably modify the request to ask for either.

"When viewing a selected program's INFO from the PLAYLIST, SEARCH RESULTS, EPISODES, TODO LIST, HISTORY or PRIORIZER, either CHANNEL UP/DOWN or the RED/GREEN buttons should immediately scroll to the INFO for the PREV/NEXT program from that list."

/steve
/steve

#12 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,175 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

Steve, I just realized this is going to need some fine tuning if you want to use CHANNEL-UP/DOWN ...

When you view the INFO from any of the features mentioned, the selector is in the left-hand menu, where CHANNEL-UP/DOWN act as menu navigation keys to jump to the top and bottom of the menu. To use these keys to scroll between INFO descriptions for multiple programs, the user would first have to scroll RIGHT to get into the description area.

RED/GREEN would work well, as users would be able to leave the selector in the left-hand menu.

Good point. I suppose if D* remapped CHAN UP/DOWN to PREV/NEXT program, you could still use the UP/DOWN arrows to vertically navigate the left menu options, since there aren't too many, but I'll leave the proposal "as is" and let D* figure it out! :) Either way, I think we're ahead of the game if this gets implemented. Just my .02. /steve
/steve

#13 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,175 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:24 AM

Another poll option was added:

"I may or may not use this feature, but don't mind if it's added for others who would."

If you would like to change your vote, please PM Doug Brott, Tom Robertson or Stuart Sweet and let them know. Thanks. /steve
/steve

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:38 AM

...that's right, we're happy to help.

Personally I'm changing my vote.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:55 AM

It's already assigned to paging the program synopsis info, if it's more than one screenfull. But actually, the UP/DOWN arrows do that as well, so D* could repurpose CHAN UP/DOWN for this purpose.

I should probably modify the request to ask for either.

/steve

Here's a simple, intuitive two-state proposal:

In both states the Page/CHAN rocker marches through a show list one at time.

• (State 1) Press Select on any show in a list. This displays terse descriptions and the appropriate command panel (Play, Keep.., etc). Left joystick (or Done from command panel) returns to the show list with the most recently selected show highlighted.

• (State 2) At any time in State 1, press the Info button for verbose descriptions. To make the display area as large as possible, there is no command panel. Operate the scroll bar with Up/Down joystick. Left joystick returns to State 1.

Note that scrolling Info via the Up/Down joystick is currently supported.

Comments?
Joe

4-channel NTSC modulator

#16 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,175 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 03:29 PM

Here's a simple, intuitive two-state proposal:

In both states the Page/CHAN rocker marches through a show list one at time.

• (State 1) Press Select on any show in a list. This displays terse descriptions and the appropriate command panel (Play, Keep.., etc). Left joystick (or Done from command panel) returns to the show list with the most recently selected show highlighted.
  • (State 2) At any time in State 1, press the Info button for verbose descriptions. To make the display area as large as possible, there is no command panel. Operate the scroll bar with Up/Down joystick. Left joystick returns to State 1.

Note that scrolling Info via the Up/Down joystick is currently supported.

Comments?

Not sure what you mean by 'terse' descriptions, since the full synopsis is always displayed, AFAIK, even when the left panel is present. True, expanding the screen to full size might elimate the need to scroll some descriptions, but it's not terribly inconvenient to scroll them as currently displayed. Just my .02. :)

On the HR10, MORE INFO actually displayed a second page of information not present on the standard description screen. I haven't seen it in a while, but IIRC, it included an expanded cast list, the original air date and all the category KEYWORDS assigned to that episode. Something like that would be a very helpful addition to the HR20/21 program INFO, IMHO. /steve
/steve

#17 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:52 PM

Not sure what you mean by 'terse' descriptions, since the full synopsis is always displayed, AFAIK, even when the left panel is present. True, expanding the screen to full size might elimate the need to scroll some descriptions, but it's not terribly inconvenient to scroll them as currently displayed. Just my .02. :)

On the HR10, MORE INFO actually displayed a second page of information not present on the standard description screen. I haven't seen it in a while, but IIRC, it included an expanded cast list, the original air date and all the category KEYWORDS assigned to that episode. Something like that would be a very helpful addition to the HR20/21 program INFO, IMHO. /steve

You're right, I'm using the HR10 as my model. I miss this UI very much in the HR-20, whose 'extended' Info adds only record date and time, the multi-program recording option (e.g, "Both"), and the position in the Priortizer.

The HR10's 'terse' mode includes Name, Channel, Date, Duration, Rating (e.g. TV/PG-L), and Catergories. Pressing the "Info" (verbose) button gives the Original air date, Similar Programs, and (IIRC) for movies, a basic cast list.

Exploiting all the screen real estate to avoid scrolling is not unreasonable, but I also understand the need to keep the UI consistent. Automatically giving focus to the scroll bar would be the next best thing.
Joe

4-channel NTSC modulator

#18 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,175 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:57 PM

I was told the wording of the new Wish List request I generated as a result of this thread was a little difficult to understand. As a result, I've taken another shot at it. :)

While viewing INFO for a program selected from a list, CHAN UP/DOWN (or RED/GREEN) should replace it with the INFO for the PREV/NEXT program from that list. This behavior should apply to shows selected from the PLAYLIST, TODO LIST, HISTORY, PRIORITIZER, EPISODES and SEARCH RESULTS.

If you're a fan of this idea, please be sure to give it a "THUMBS UP" on the Wish List! TIA. /steve
/steve

#19 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:48 PM

Steve,

IIRC, only the LIST screen presents even rudimentary Info on the highlighted program.

Shouldn't this Wish List item also ask that all screens mentioned behave like the LIST screen?
Joe

4-channel NTSC modulator

#20 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,175 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:57 PM

Steve,

IIRC, only the LIST screen presents even rudimentary Info on the highlighted program.

Shouldn't this Wish List item also ask that all screens mentioned behave like the LIST screen?

Joe, this request speaks to the full program description you see when you select a program from a list to view it's INFO.

I believe what you're talking about is the short program-specific blurb atop the PLAYLIST screen for the currently-highlighted program in the list. If I'm correct in my assumption, we have a request on the list to take care of that as well:

Show the highlighted program's description in the "To Do List" and "History", instead of a static message.

/steve
/steve

spam firewall