Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Driving downtown with XM

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 11:44 PM

Just wanted to share my experiences on something. Today I drove into downtown San Antonio, TX. It's not a big city but there are many tall buildings to make receiving XM quite a challenge.

Since I was in a hurry to catch a 3D IMAX movie, I wasn't even thinking about the music I was listening to and just concentrating on driving. After arriving into the main downtown area and parking in a very large parking structure, it suddenly dawned on me that my XM signal never dropped out. I immediately went into the menus and checked the signal strength. I had no satellite signal at all but the terrestrial signal strength was maxed out. While this is no big deal I was still amazed on how well the terrestrial signal was reaching into the parking garage.

When I left the garage and while driving right down the middle of the city through the tall buildings, the satellite signal dropped in and out but the terrestrial signal stayed rock solid. Then, while driving out of the city, the terrestrial started dropping off while the satellite signal came back to full strength. Obviously there must be a repeater somewhere downtown.

I was very pleased on how all of this went. It got me wondering how many cities have repeaters. It was quite obvious to me that without repeaters, satellite radios would basically suck in large metro areas. Is there a listing somewhere on which cities have them?

Anyway, it was a great "test" to see how well XM functions in our city and it came through with flying colors! Very cool stuff!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 09:17 AM

Yes Chris, it is exciting to know how well it works, my company runs two XM Repeaters here in Connecticut (One on Rattlesnake Mountain in Farmington which is just outside Hartford, the other in New Haven)

When I got mine I was unaware that the repeaters were even on yet and was surprised when I went 3 floors underground to my offices parking garage and my XM was still playing. :)

I have found a new channel which I like, it's Fine Tuning channel 104, where else can you hear Beethoven then next song hear Pink Floyd. Its a wild mix! :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...