Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Media Share Help Please

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   johnd55

johnd55

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:27 AM

I have tried evrything to get Media Sharing to work with no success.

This is what I have:

Windows XP Home SP2
WMP 11
2Wire 2700HG-D Modem/Router (Qwest)
Buffalo WLI-Tx4-G54HP Ethernet Converter

My HR20-700 indicates Network and Internet connected.

I have tried everything that's been suggested on these forums including shutting down the Firewalls and Anti-Virus temporarily.

Please help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   code4code5

code4code5

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:54 AM

How many songs are you trying to share? WMP11 has trouble if the library is beyond a certain size, which I can't remember right now.

#3 OFFLINE   johnd55

johnd55

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:07 PM

I wish I had gotten that far.

I can't get the HR20 to show up on WMP 11 let alone have the folders show up on my HR20. Iam doing something wrong and I can't figure out what.

Being as network challenged as I am, I need someone to walk me through process from beginning to end. I have tried all of the suggestions here on the forum but have had no luck.

#4 OFFLINE   druskin

druskin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:11 PM

When you look at the available devices in WMP11, do you see one with a generic sounding name like "unnamed device" or something like that. I know that it will not show up as HR20 or anything that specifically identifies the device. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the generic name was.

#5 OFFLINE   jmagnus

jmagnus

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

I have tried evrything to get Media Sharing to work with no success.

This is what I have:

Windows XP Home SP2
WMP 11
2Wire 2700HG-D Modem/Router (Qwest)
Buffalo WLI-Tx4-G54HP Ethernet Converter

My HR20-700 indicates Network and Internet connected.

I have tried everything that's been suggested on these forums including shutting down the Firewalls and Anti-Virus temporarily.

Please help.

I had similar trouble getting WMP11 to "see" the HR20 (will list as unknown device). I had to completely uninstall Windows OneCare (my firewall and virus program), just shutting the firewall down did not work. I then re-installed the firewall program. Give that a try.
Samsung DLP 46"
HDMI, Native on, 2 HR20-700's,
Zinwell 6x8 switch, Networked with WRT54G wireless router, 2 Linksys Ethernet bridge

#6 OFFLINE   johnd55

johnd55

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:48 PM

When you look at the available devices in WMP11, do you see one with a generic sounding name like "unnamed device" or something like that. I know that it will not show up as HR20 or anything that specifically identifies the device. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the generic name was.

Yes I tried that and nothing appears.

I have gone through everything and it's just not working.

#7 OFFLINE   DubC

DubC

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

Yes I tried that and nothing appears.

I have gone through everything and it's just not working.

How about

From the start menu: select Run and type in services.msc <enter>
- Double click on Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
- Select the Log On tab
- Select Local System Account and checkmark the Allow service to interact with desktop.
- Within WMP11, turn off media sharing then turn it back on.
- At this point, the "Unknown Device" appeared.

#8 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:03 PM

I have the same issue. The HR20 has Video on Demand but cannot see the computer with WMP, even though I have 2 devices that can, an Xbox 360 and a DLink DSM 320. I totally disabled the firewall and even tried TVersity and I get nothing.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#9 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:09 PM

I have the same issue. The HR20 has Video on Demand but cannot see the computer with WMP, even though I have 2 devices that can, an Xbox 360 and a DLink DSM 320. I totally disabled the firewall and even tried TVersity and I get nothing.

Can you guys list the Network IP config information of all of your equipment? Router & HR20 and whether it is wireless or not?

I am also assuming you restarted the HR20 after you enabled the network? When I enabled the network, I was able to get DoD just fine. Media sharing did not start until I restarted the Hr20.

#10 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:33 PM

I am among those who have no clue how to do media sharing.

I have all of my HR20's (four in all) network enabled and verified on both the LAN and the internet. I have several PC's running XP and many of them have media content that I would like to view via the HR20's. All of the HR20's are at software level 1CA.

Has anyone put together a tutorial describing how to get started, what software is needed, and generally how to get up and running in order to enjoy media sharing?

A step by step set of instructions and a list of software criteria would be most helpful to those of us who are media share challenged.

Dave
Ut Prosim

#11 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:57 PM

I am among those who have no clue how to do media sharing.

I have all of my HR20's (four in all) network enabled and verified on both the LAN and the internet. I have several PC's running XP and many of them have media content that I would like to view via the HR20's. All of the HR20's are at software level 1CA.

Has anyone put together a tutorial describing how to get started, what software is needed, and generally how to get up and running in order to enjoy media sharing?

A step by step set of instructions and a list of software criteria would be most helpful to those of us who are media share challenged.

Dave

Spanky_Partain has put together an absolute treasure trove of information on media share in this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=99327

#12 OFFLINE   gemery

gemery

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:19 AM

Spanky_Partain has put together an absolute treasure trove of information on media share in this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=99327

So I think I am all set on the PC side to share out files, what do I expect to see on the DVR side? I have not seen anything in menus or options to play the files that are on the PC?

#13 OFFLINE   johnd55

johnd55

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:43 AM

Can you guys list the Network IP config information of all of your equipment? Router & HR20 and whether it is wireless or not?

I am also assuming you restarted the HR20 after you enabled the network? When I enabled the network, I was able to get DoD just fine. Media sharing did not start until I restarted the Hr20.

This is what shows up when I go to my Network Manager

PC Windows XP Home SP2 = 192.168.1.64 (Hardwire to Gateway)
2Wire 2700HG-D Gateway(Qwest) = ?
Buffalo WLI-Tx4-G54HP Ethernet Converter = 192.168.1.68 (Wireless)
HR20-700 = 192.168.1.66
Wifes laptop = 192.168.1.67 (wireless)
Printer = 192.168.1.65 (Hardwire to Gateway)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

JD

#14 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:17 AM

I am on a wired ethernet connection using private address space and DHCP for the HR20. I rebooted the computer and the HR20 multiple times. When I hooked the HR20 up to the network, right away I was able to get DOD going, but after multiple reboots of my PC and the HR20, changin from WMP 11 to TVersity as well as completely disabling the windows firewall (even though I had other devices that were able to see the share) and still got nothing.

Then last night after letting it sit for 2 or 3 days I had the Menu item. :P I guess the HR20 just does it when it feel like it. I am sure the disabling of the firewall had something to do with it, but I expected it would have had an effect before a couple of days.

Now, I just need to get the thing actually working as I can see the share and see the song or album list, but nothing plays and I have the X and 0:00 problem. Pictures completely lock the HR20 up. I have TVersity set as Xbox 360 and it still will not work. (also, why can I only set TVersity for only one kind of device?)

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#15 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:58 AM

This is what shows up when I go to my Network Manager

PC Windows XP Home SP2 = 192.168.1.64 (Hardwire to Gateway)
2Wire 2700HG-D Gateway(Qwest) = ?
Buffalo WLI-Tx4-G54HP Ethernet Converter = 192.168.1.68 (Wireless)
HR20-700 = 192.168.1.66
Wifes laptop = 192.168.1.67 (wireless)
Printer = 192.168.1.65 (Hardwire to Gateway)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

JD

When I did mine, I setup my Ethernet Converter/Game Adapter as 192.168.1.250. Then when I connected it to my HR20 I used the same IP in the HR20 network setup IP address. So try changing the HR20 to use the ethernet converter IP if you have that connected to your HR20. Then use your router's IP for the gateway and DNS on the HR20.

#16 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:01 AM

I am on a wired ethernet connection using private address space and DHCP for the HR20. I rebooted the computer and the HR20 multiple times. When I hooked the HR20 up to the network, right away I was able to get DOD going, but after multiple reboots of my PC and the HR20, changin from WMP 11 to TVersity as well as completely disabling the windows firewall (even though I had other devices that were able to see the share) and still got nothing.

Then last night after letting it sit for 2 or 3 days I had the Menu item. :P I guess the HR20 just does it when it feel like it. I am sure the disabling of the firewall had something to do with it, but I expected it would have had an effect before a couple of days.

Now, I just need to get the thing actually working as I can see the share and see the song or album list, but nothing plays and I have the X and 0:00 problem. Pictures completely lock the HR20 up. I have TVersity set as Xbox 360 and it still will not work. (also, why can I only set TVersity for only one kind of device?)

It seems like people have better luck with using a static IP address for the HR20. See if the post I wrote previous to this helps at all...

#17 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:08 AM

Like I said, DOD worked from teh beginning with DHCP and a couple of days after disabling the windows firewall and rebooting everything, it started working on its own. I guess it mus check periodically or something, who knows.

Now, I just need to revert to the older version of TVersity and hopefuolly I am good to go.

#18 OFFLINE   johnd55

johnd55

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

I am happy to report that I have finally fixed the Media Sare problem. It is now working splendidly. Thanks for all of the advice from all of you.

If you are working with a Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP the following thread link may solve your problem. It did mine :hurah:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=85293

#19 OFFLINE   vlhgsd

vlhgsd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:01 PM

I can see my files on the hr21, can select to play them, yet get no audio. Connected via hdmi cable. I would assume it could go this way, any thoughts?

This is using wmp11. tversity doesn't show any files on the hr21, just wmp does.

#20 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:53 AM

I am happy to report that I have finally fixed the Media Sare problem. It is now working splendidly. Thanks for all of the advice from all of you.

If you are working with a Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP the following thread link may solve your problem. It did mine :hurah:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=85293

That was what I was going to suggest since you were using the Buffalo piece, but I see you found your way to the fix...

spam firewall