Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upcoming movies on premium channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

Does anyone know if there is a website that lists what movies are upcoming on the premium channels like HBO and Starz? I would be interested in knowing what movies will be upcoming on the premium network I subscribe to so that I don't have to order the movie on PPV.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   narcolept

narcolept

Godfather

• Registered
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:05 PM

Does anyone know if there is a website that lists what movies are upcoming on the premium channels like HBO and Starz? I would be interested in knowing what movies will be upcoming on the premium network I subscribe to so that I don't have to order the movie on PPV.

DirecTV Access magazine used to have a page like this in it, but doesn't do it anymore. On the D* website, under "Premium Channels", if you select one, on the right hand side there is a "Premiere List" for that channel which shows some of the more popular movies/series premiering in the next month.

Hope that Helps.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:44 PM

hbo.com and starz.com have online guides.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

Since I travel a lot, I just take the HBO guide from the hotel.

Any hotels nearby? :)

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:50 AM

Since I travel a lot, I just take the HBO guide from the hotel.

Any hotels nearby? :)

Yeah, you can download those guides online. The problem is they only show upcoming releases one month in advance. It is usually several months or more before a movie goes from PPV to a premium channel. For example, The Last King of Scotland premiered on Cinemax a couple weeks ago. That was on PPV way back in June or July, so there is quite a lag sometimes.

#6 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:00 AM

I figure I can wait for a few months to see movies on the premium channels rather than using PPV. It usually takes about 3-6 months, but if I was really anxious to see a movie, I'd probably have already gone to the theater to see it.

It seems in the advent of DVD & home video, movie studios release a lot more crap because they know, even if it flops in the theater, they'll make up their losses in video sales. It's the "Why Bother" age of Hollywood.

In the past, when I had premium channels it seemed that I never seemed to catch the movies I wanted to see. I'd turn to HBO, and it would be the same crappy movie I didn't want to watch the last time I tried to watch! So, I dropped them. Having a DVR and HD versions of the channels has made premiums worth it for me. I scan the guide for movie's I wanted to see, and I usually am able to catch 6-12 films each month. Now it's hard to find time to watch everything I want to see. With so many movies on my DVR, who has time to order a PPV in addition?

#7 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:40 PM

Yeah with many of the premium channels going HD, it would be quite handy to have a complete premiere list. Having the Premier package and HD, my DVR has never been empty and is almost always nearly full. But I manually scan each channel for any new movies in HD. If there was just a list by title that would indeed rock.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...