Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H20-100 searching for satellite signal 103b

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scJohn

scJohn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

I have been having this problem for a couple of weeks and it is driving me crazy.

Upgraded to H20 (brand new unit) and 5 LNB slimline towards the end of Sept. Do to a problem with not being able to get USA-HD (only channel I had problems getting. After 2 tech visits and sending me a refrub H20-100 in hopes of fixing the problem they finally acknowledged that the problem was on there end. So that's how I end up with the refurb H20.

The software version is 0x2021. The signal strength readings on 103b are around 90 for the odd number transponders and around 75 for the even number transponders. When the search for ...... shows up on the screen, the signal strength for all transponders are 0. In this state (searching for ....) I still get 206/ESPNHD and 245/TNTHD but I do not get 77/HD channel guide (I get the blasted searching for...). Nor do I get any of the other channels on the 103b that I am suppose to get. Note: I have an old program package that is no longer available.

So, how do I get 103b back. There are a couple of thing that i try. Method 1: Menu | Settings | Sat & Ant | View Signal Strength. I now cycle through ALL of the satellites, in order, and sometimes I will starting getting readings again on 103b. This fixes the problem until the next time. Method 2. Menu | Settings | Sat & Ant | RSS (Repeat Satellite Setup). Normally I will get an error on the Confirming Satellite page/screen saying that 103b failed, the 1st time I run this. I will then say that I want to rerun the setup and, most of the time, the second time is the charm. If this did not fix the problem I try method number 1 again. If that still fails, I try the System reset button. IF the system reset button along with Method 1 and 2 fails then I force a software download. This usually gets 103b back.

After much experimentation, I discovered that as long as I channel surf only on the National SD and HD channels; I do not lose 103b. I will lose 103b when I change to any of my LIL-HD stations. When I try and change from a LIL-HD channel to an HD channel on the 103b I will start getting the searching for ... message. It would appear that for some reason the H20 wipes out information about the 103b when viewing a LIL-HD. Sometimes I can switch back and forth between a 103b channel and a LIL-HD channel. Although eventually I will start getting the searching for .... error within 30 minutes.

So, is this a software problem or a hardware problem? If it's a hardware problem do I ask D* for a new H20 or a BBC?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,655 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:43 PM

Sounds like it could be a B-Band Converter problem. Did they swap your BBC when they replaced the Receiver? If it's not that, then it's time to suspect a dish/multiswitch problem.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   scJohn

scJohn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:23 AM

I kept the original BBC from the upgrade. I sent the BBC that came with the refurb back with the original H20.

I have a straight cable run from the dish to the BBC which is plugged into the H20. I have just the one STB so, supposedly, no need for an external switch.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,655 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:30 PM

If it's not the H20, and it's not the BBC, then pretty much only leaves the dish/LNB.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,918 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:44 PM

If it's not the H20, and it's not the BBC, then pretty much only leaves the dish/LNB.

That would be my guess too. My 5 LNB was installed last November and the installer did a crappy job mechanically and set it up as a 3 LNB dish. I knew I would have problems with the new channels and I did.

Got a good tech for a change. He had been working as an installer for eight years. Apparently, all the training these guys get is on the job. I always ask how long the installer has been working as an installer and if they have only been on the job for a couple of months, I expect problems to occur and watch them closely. I've only had two good installers and they did exactly what I told them I wanted done. And did not leave until my whole system was working satisfactorily.

Sounds like all he needs is a dish tweak.

I've never had a bad BBC, have you? I know VOS has had several bad ones. I have had so many 20s, I have about a truckload of them.

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,655 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:11 PM

I've never had a bad BBC, have you? I know VOS has had several bad ones. I have had so many 20s, I have about a truckload of them.

Not yet. But it's one of the first things I suspect and suggest that people check.

#7 OFFLINE   wmj5

wmj5

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:53 PM

directv 12+ yrs: when I first got hd setup I wasn't getting all my hd channels, I had the tech man here and they told him I couldn't get all my channels with that package, I had total choice limited, so I changed to choice, which ran my bill up $14.16 plus $9.99, you may have to change your package.

#8 OFFLINE   scJohn

scJohn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:51 AM

Just an update. I can switch from LIL-SD to a 103b channel and back all day long. No problem. But once I goto a LIL-HD, all channels on the 103b goto Searching for satillite. Once the H20 'loses' the 103b I have to into the menu system and get it to find the 103b, again.

#9 OFFLINE   SledDog

SledDog

Icon

• Registered
  • 676 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:56 AM

Not yet. But it's one of the first things I suspect and suggest that people check.

I've had a bad bbc also.. New one fixed my problem.
PhuturePrimitive, Kaya Project, Thievery Corporation, Crystal Method, Leftfield, Hybrid, Solar Fields

Huff 85 Heavy, turn left heading 300. Expect vectors thru final for controller amusement.

My A/V Equipment
DirecTV receiver, TV, home sound thingy, a bunch of remotes.

#10 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,655 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:57 AM

It could be the dish's internal multiswitch. I still suggest you have the dish/LNB replaced. Also doublecheck that your connections at the dish are snug, dry and corrosion-free.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,918 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:18 PM

Those BBCs have short threads on the connectors that connect to the 20s and should be gently snugged up with a 7/16 wrench. Gently.

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,918 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:24 PM

directv 12+ yrs: when I first got hd setup I wasn't getting all my hd channels, I had the tech man here and they told him I couldn't get all my channels with that package, I had total choice limited, so I changed to choice, which ran my bill up $14.16 plus $9.99, you may have to change your package.

Nah, nobody'd do that, would they? At least not someone intelligent enough to seek help and info on this forum. Or would they? After all (I can't help myself, Stu), Nixon was elected President of the United States...

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,918 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:29 PM

I don't like the way the coax is folded back onto the BBC in the box. Coaxial cable is not supposed to be bent like that. That said, I'm still using the original BBCs that came with the units. Bet I have at least 30 more in the garage.

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,918 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:33 PM

It could be the dish's internal multiswitch. I still suggest you have the dish/LNB replaced. Also doublecheck that your connections at the dish are snug, dry and corrosion-free.

Certainly can't hurt to replace the dish.

Ever been to Moses Lake? Strange place. Would like to live there.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,863 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:37 PM

Certainly can't help to replace the dish.

Certainly can't hurt to replace the dish. :)
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,918 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:21 PM

Certainly can't hurt to replace the dish. :)

Damn spellchecker!

#17 OFFLINE   SledDog

SledDog

Icon

• Registered
  • 676 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:44 PM

I don't like the way the coax is folded back onto the BBC in the box. Coaxial cable is not supposed to be bent like that. That said, I'm still using the original BBCs that came with the units. Bet I have at least 30 more in the garage.

I wasn't too thrilled about that. The new one DirecTV sent me was not bent in the packaging. The installer originally installed the old bbc with a sharp bend. The new is installed without any.
PhuturePrimitive, Kaya Project, Thievery Corporation, Crystal Method, Leftfield, Hybrid, Solar Fields

Huff 85 Heavy, turn left heading 300. Expect vectors thru final for controller amusement.

My A/V Equipment
DirecTV receiver, TV, home sound thingy, a bunch of remotes.

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,918 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:56 PM

I wasn't too thrilled about that. The new one DirecTV sent me was not bent in the packaging. The installer originally installed the old bbc with a sharp bend. The new is installed without any.

With every solid wire or even piping, there is a limitation to the bend radius or whatever it is called. That's always been the greatest danger of using solid wire. Bend it too much or nick it and it breaks and causes fires or opens critical circuits. Stranded wire has no such limitations that I know of.

All the BBCs I have are packaged with the coax folded almost back on itself in the box. Can't be good for the center solid wire.

#19 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:32 PM

Since you apparently are still using the one BBC you received with your original H20 and have yet to even try a new BBC, that would seem to be the easiest first step. You don't even have to step outside your door. Just take it out of the hand of the FedEx man two days after you order it from tech support on the phone.

However, the 90 odds 75 evens is an additional cause for concern. They shouldn't be this far apart, even if your dish is slightly out of alignment. Usually they'd be closer together than that and down in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. So it's very likely there's a problem there somewhere, perhaps in addition to a bad BBC.

Check out the BBC first. It may fix your sfss problems. If not, you'll have to order a service call on your dish for sure. Hopefully you first reported your issues while you were within the 30 day installation warranty and can piggyback this call onto the original call and not pay the $70. I would certainly argue for that, if those are the facts. Your installation has never been 100% satisfactory, as I understand your posts, and 90's/75's is not acceptable, although CSR's will tell you it is, IF you are receiving the HD channels you are supposed to receive. So, if the new BBC fixes your sfss, but you still have 70's evens, you know what to say and what not to say....

Finally, be sure to tighten all the connectors in your installation from one end to the other with a 7/16" wrench, gently until snug. Loose connectors are a frequent initial installation problem and are known to cause odd/even issues.
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,918 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:50 AM

So difficult to troubleshoot on a forum or over the phone. I gave up a long time ago on troubleshooting electrical problems over the phone. Even when having a face to face with the homeowner, they were usually telling me the wrong things.

If I were a betting man (and I am), I would go with the dish alignment since I had the same symptoms before having my dish realigned, but I expected to have to have it realigned to read the new sat feeds. I could not even comprehend how an installer could align a 5 LNB with a digital meter without a satellite up and he admitted to me that he installed it as a 3 LNB. And I got readings like our friends getting.

Now I have to rant: For the love of God, why don't you all sign up for the Protection Plan? You spend all this money on TVs, DVRs and yet a few extra dollars is too much to pay for comprehensive coverage of wiring, dishes, LNBs, multiswitches and receivers! Are you all nutz? This is truly an example of being "penny wise and pound foolish"!

Since you apparently are still using the one BBC you received with your original H20 and have yet to even try a new BBC, that would seem to be the easiest first step. You don't even have to step outside your door. Just take it out of the hand of the FedEx man two days after you order it from tech support on the phone.

However, the 90 odds 75 evens is an additional cause for concern. They shouldn't be this far apart, even if your dish is slightly out of alignment. Usually they'd be closer together than that and down in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. So it's very likely there's a problem there somewhere, perhaps in addition to a bad BBC.

Check out the BBC first. It may fix your sfss problems. If not, you'll have to order a service call on your dish for sure. Hopefully you first reported your issues while you were within the 30 day installation warranty and can piggyback this call onto the original call and not pay the $70. I would certainly argue for that, if those are the facts. Your installation has never been 100% satisfactory, as I understand your posts, and 90's/75's is not acceptable, although CSR's will tell you it is, IF you are receiving the HD channels you are supposed to receive. So, if the new BBC fixes your sfss, but you still have 70's evens, you know what to say and what not to say....

Finally, be sure to tighten all the connectors in your installation from one end to the other with a 7/16" wrench, gently until snug. Loose connectors are a frequent initial installation problem and are known to cause odd/even issues.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...