Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H20-100 searching for satellite signal 103b

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

The LNB assembly on the dish was replaced on Wed (along with the ground block) . At times 267 would come out of it's 771 state and then I would be able to all of the other channels on the 103b until the next time that I switched from a LIL HD to any channel on the 103b. At which point I would get the 771. But no such luck with H20-600. It never finds the 103B.

The supervisor never called back, today. No surprise. No point in calling D* till Monday morning when the front line troops will be back.

Did the stupidvisor call the first time?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:57 PM

I'd guess 2 bad LNBs would be rare.

Not impossible, but a whole lot more unlikely than "rare". Good call.

BBCs have been the weakest link. I had six "bad out of the box". The Rev2 that D* sent came with a straight pigtail and all worked.

I still find it hard to believe an electronics manufacturer allowed those bent coax BBCs out of their facility. So now they ship them in a longer package with straight coax, huh? Did they fix the short threads on the connector? Man, that's a lot wrong with one piece of equipment. Mine are all made by Zinwell, yours too?

Two bad receivers aren't out of the question either.

Five bad receivers aren't out of the question.

#63 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,766 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:39 PM

I still find it hard to believe an electronics manufacturer allowed those bent coax BBCs out of their facility. So now they ship them in a longer package with straight coax, huh? Did they fix the short threads on the connector? Man, that's a lot wrong with one piece of equipment. Mine are all made by Zinwell, yours too?

Zinwell makes them and sends them to the H/HR manufactures.
Clearly someone in "packaging" had no idea what they're doings.
Both me ver 2 from D* and my ver 3 that came with H/HR21 are now in a plastic bag without the cable bent.
With my ver 1, the pigtail could be rotated at the housing, so the main problem was a bad connection.
A.K.A VOS

#64 OFFLINE   scJohn

scJohn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:36 AM

Never heard back from the local supervisor, on Friday. Called D* again, today. This problem has been escalated and has been assigned to a case manager. The case manager called and another service call has been set up for Tuesday afternoon. The "local expert" is suppose to make the service call. Of course this was what was suppose to happen on Friday. So we shall see.

#65 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:35 AM

Never heard back from the local supervisor, on Friday. Called D* again, today. This problem has been escalated and has been assigned to a case manager. The case manager called and another service call has been set up for Tuesday afternoon. The "local expert" is suppose to make the service call. Of course this was what was suppose to happen on Friday. So we shall see.

Enjoying your time in D*Hell?

#66 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:43 PM

Zinwell makes them and sends them to the H/HR manufactures.
Clearly someone in "packaging" had no idea what they're doings.
Both me ver 2 from D* and my ver 3 that came with H/HR21 are now in a plastic bag without the cable bent.
With my ver 1, the pigtail could be rotated at the housing, so the main problem was a bad connection.

So they rectumfied their mistake. Good for them, and us.

#67 OFFLINE   scJohn

scJohn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:06 PM

The lead tech and the local supervisor came today. They started on the outside. A new cable was run between the LNB and the grounding block. This replaced a two piece cable set up where a short cable came from the LNB and was attached to another cable that ran to the grounding block. The connector on the cable that started at the grounding block and ran to the H20 was replaced. They also changed the location on the arm that the grounding wire was attached. The satellite was realigned. The tech had the new signal meter that detected all of the satellites, including 103b. At this point we moved inside. First thing done was to replace the connector on the cable that came in from the outside and connected to the BBC. We then progressed to the H10-600. Still no 103b. :confused: The Repeat Satellite Setup was performed and the box once again failed on Confirming Satellite screen with 103b failing. :( Signal Strength readings for 103b are all goose eggs. At this point the tech disconnected the cable going to to the BBC and plugged it into the signal meter. The meter confirmed that 103b was being received at the end of the cable. At this point a H21 box was bought in to replace the H20-600. Did a software download and went through the entire system setup. At the point where you can check the Signal Strength we went to 103b and no goose eggs for readings. :) We continued on even though the Confirming Satellite setup did not have an entry for 103b. Acquired the program guide. At this point the new box was activated and the old box deactivated.

At this point in time everything is working. I can switch between LIL HD and a channel on the 103b with out getting the 771 error.:hurah:

#68 OFFLINE   satwood

satwood

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:59 AM

The lead tech and the local supervisor came today. They started on the outside. A new cable was run between the LNB and the grounding block. This replaced a two piece cable set up where a short cable came from the LNB and was attached to another cable that ran to the grounding block. The connector on the cable that started at the grounding block and ran to the H20 was replaced. They also changed the location on the arm that the grounding wire was attached. The satellite was realigned. The tech had the new signal meter that detected all of the satellites, including 103b. At this point we moved inside. First thing done was to replace the connector on the cable that came in from the outside and connected to the BBC. We then progressed to the H10-600. Still no 103b. :confused: The Repeat Satellite Setup was performed and the box once again failed on Confirming Satellite screen with 103b failing. :( Signal Strength readings for 103b are all goose eggs. At this point the tech disconnected the cable going to to the BBC and plugged it into the signal meter. The meter confirmed that 103b was being received at the end of the cable. At this point a H21 box was bought in to replace the H20-600. Did a software download and went through the entire system setup. At the point where you can check the Signal Strength we went to 103b and no goose eggs for readings. :) We continued on even though the Confirming Satellite setup did not have an entry for 103b. Acquired the program guide. At this point the new box was activated and the old box deactivated.

At this point in time everything is working. I can switch between LIL HD and a channel on the 103b with out getting the 771 error.:hurah:

I guess this means the receiver was bad? I had a strong feeling that would be the issue. People treated me like an idiot when I kept telling them the H20s they were sending me were bad, but they were.
Technology Consultant
1 - H20, 2 - D11, 1 - H21
AT-9 Dish, DirecTV since 2000

#69 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

I guess this means the receiver was bad? I had a strong feeling that would be the issue. People treated me like an idiot when I kept telling them the H20s they were sending me were bad, but they were.

In D*Hell the customer is treated as an idiot commonly. Restraint must be used when dealing with the installers and CSRs. Politeness with CSRs must be maintained no matter how frustrated you get. The installer must be made to know you have some semblance of common sense and knowledge of your equipment.

Sometimes (rarely) you get someone who comprehends English and is familiar with the equipment. Patience and politeness is paramount when dealing with these nitwits (my apologies to the few who know what they are doing).

Remember the first rule of service providers: Low pay = poor performance = quick turnover of personnel. If you get an installer who has been working as an installer for a few years, you have a chance of getting your problem resolved. If you get one of the Staten Island crew who have 2 or 3 months of experience, you are probably doomed.

#70 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:22 AM

..... you are probably doomed.

"Doomed". I like that, Rich. That's a real serious word; it has a certain finality to it.

Like Dante's Ninth Circle of (D*) Hell: "Beware all ye who enter here...."
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#71 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:11 PM

"Doomed". I like that, Rich. That's a real serious word; it has a certain finality to it."

Sadly, it's true. Apparently, the people who are responsible for training installers believe that on the job training is sufficient. For instance the installer I got who blew me off when I tried to engage him in conversation and then was amazed when I shut off the blue circle of LEDs on the front panel. How much training do you think he got?

After seeing me shut off the circle and set up the HR20, I couldn't get rid of the guy. And all I was relating to him were things that I picked up on this forum.

He told me he had a week or two of riding around with a more experienced installer and then was set loose by himself.

He didn't cause any real harm, but had set up the "NEW" HR20 for Staten Island and had obviously played with it prior to delivering it.

Rich

#72 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:16 PM

"Doomed". I like that, Rich. That's a real serious word; it has a certain finality to it.

Like Dante's Ninth Circle of (D*) Hell: "Beware all ye who enter here...."

I've tried to read Dante on several occasions and just couldn't. Have you read his works? I can't stand Shakespeare or Leonard Elmore or Hemingway either.

Rich

#73 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:27 AM

Sadly, it's true. Apparently, the people who are responsible for training installers believe that on the job training is sufficient......He told me he had a week or two of riding around with a more experienced installer and then was set loose by himself......

This creates a certain mental image....roaming the countryside, wreaking havoc...:)

Re: Dante - try this then, just so you'll have an idea what that's all about.
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#74 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:01 PM

This creates a certain mental image....roaming the countryside, wreaking havoc...:)

That's just what those installers from Staten Island are doing. Wreaking havoc! But, to be fair, I have had some installers from SI who at least had a clue.

#75 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

Re: Dante - try this then, just so you'll have an idea what that's all about.

I did try that years ago. Just had a hard time getting interested. Look at how many books Elmore Leonard (or is it Leonard Elmore?) sells and the great reviews he gets. I open his books and read for an hour and find myself on page 3. Just can't read him. And really can't understand how anybody can, but, different strokes, and all that. Robert Ruark I devoured, Hemingway I just stare at the pages and nothing registers. Different strokes.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...