Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD locals in Memphis are a joke...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:41 PM

:rant:

I am so sick and tired of the HD locals here... They are completely worthless... I have had numerous shows ruined... Thank God ABC puts Grey's Anatomy on their website... or my wife would have my ***... the entire recording was garbage last night (because of the broadcast... not my hr20)... the ending of Ugly Betty was cut off last night as well... the rerun of the news was unwatchable... ten minutes of 30 Rock was ruined last week... i haven't been able to watch the 10 o'clock news 3 times this week...

This is just ridiculous... I have called directv numerous times about this... every time they say they will 'escalate' it... i have called the engineers at all 3 local stations that I have problems with... and nothing... nothing has been done... everybody blames somebody else...

And it's not my setup... i have verified the problems with other friends/family here in town... [/rant]

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,923 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:59 PM

Feel better?

That does suck, though. Is cable worse? How about a QAM tuner? You can't record, but you could at least view locals live.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   bt-rtp

bt-rtp

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:09 PM

I am so sick and tired of the HD locals here... They are completely worthless... I have had numerous shows ruined... Thank God ABC puts Grey's Anatomy on their website... or my wife would have my ***... the entire recording was garbage last night (because of the broadcast... not my hr20)... the ending of Ugly Betty was cut off last night as well... the rerun of the news was unwatchable... ten minutes of 30 Rock was ruined last week... i haven't been able to watch the 10 o'clock news 3 times this week...

This is just ridiculous... I have called directv numerous times about this... every time they say they will 'escalate' it... i have called the engineers at all 3 local stations that I have problems with... and nothing... nothing has been done... everybody blames somebody else...

And it's not my setup... i have verified the problems with other friends/family here in town... [/rant]

You did not mention if you have filed a compliant with the FCC. That might get your local stations attention. Each is required to comply various broadcasting standards and requirements, by law.
HR24-500 with AM21
HR21-200
HR20-700
HR20-100

#4 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:10 PM

i do feel a little better... lol...

i have an OTA antenna... i just have delayed installing it in my attic due to the headache it's gonna be... my attic is NOT very accessible... and getting a coax to my second HR20 is gonna be a nightmare...

i haven't filed a complaint with the FCC... the problem is not in the broadcast itself... i think directv uses an OTA antenna to get the feed for the HD locals... and they get a straight fiber run for the SD locals... which if you ask me is bass ackwards... anyway... something is happening to the signal before it gets beamed back down to me... so i don't think that could be considered the fault of the local stations...

#5 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:40 PM

I am so sick and tired of the HD locals here... They are completely worthless... I have had numerous shows ruined... Thank God ABC puts Grey's Anatomy on their website... or my wife would have my ***...

I've never seen the HD channels offered here in the Milwaukee, WI market. But since DirecTV only offers NBC, ABC, and FOX affiliates compared to EVERY over-the-air station in SD (including CBS-the network I watch the most), if I am forced to buy an HDTV (I.E. my old set breaks down), I am going to see about an OTA antenna before spending $9.99 for 3 locals in HD.

PS: Much as I hate them, the cable co. offers ALL the local OTA's in HD for FREE!

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

You might want to check out the Memphis thread at http://www.avsforum.....php?p=12249559 to see what others in Memphis are seeing with the channels to see if it's something with your setup or a problem with how D*'s handling the channels.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#7 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:27 PM

You might want to check out the Memphis thread at http://www.avsforum.....php?p=12249559 to see what others in Memphis are seeing with the channels to see if it's something with your setup or a problem with how D*'s handling the channels.

cool.. thanks for the link... haven't checked over there yet...

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:30 PM

cool.. thanks for the link... haven't checked over there yet...

NP, good luck. Trying to get local channels issues resolved with D* are a real pain since the call centers have no way to see what you're talking about since the locals are on spot beams.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#9 OFFLINE   Deadpool

Deadpool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:08 AM

I've only had a couple issues with DirecTV and locals here. On Thanksgiving night The Incredibles on NBC was horrible. Lots of macroblocking during the movie and no commercials had sound at all. When switching over to OTA the macroblocking was completely gone. And I didn't have any issues with other channels macroblocking either. The sound however was still messed up on OTA. But WMC frequently screws up the audio so that's not a surprise.

I've never had any other issues on any Memphis locals beside WMC though. And I record stuff on just about every network every night.

EDIT: Now that I think about it I do have occasional audio issues on WLMT as well. But that's only once in a while.

#10 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:11 AM

.....i have an OTA antenna... i just have delayed installing it in my attic due to the headache it's gonna be... my attic is NOT very accessible... and getting a coax to my second HR20 is gonna be a nightmare...

"Necessity is the mother of invention." You'll love OTA HD. Summer is over. Time to get up in the attic!
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,599 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:35 AM

You did not mention if you have filed a compliant with the FCC. That might get your local stations attention. Each is required to comply various broadcasting standards and requirements, by law.

You need to be relatively certain that the problem is with the local station before you go after them.

#12 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:21 PM

You need to be relatively certain that the problem is with the local station before you go after them.

yeah... definitely... that's why i wouldn't do that... i don't think it's their problem...

#13 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:22 PM

"Necessity is the mother of invention." You'll love OTA HD. Summer is over. Time to get up in the attic!

i had an indoor OTA antenna hooked up a while back... and it was great... it just didn't get very many channels... which is why i decided to get a bigger one to put up in the attic... just kinda silly that i have to do this considering directv offers hd locals...

#14 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:11 PM

i had an indoor OTA antenna hooked up a while back... and it was great... it just didn't get very many channels... which is why i decided to get a bigger one to put up in the attic... just kinda silly that i have to do this considering directv offers hd locals...

You'll be glad you've got it when the inevitable sign goes up on your locals, "We know there's a problem....", etc.

Rules of thumb: The bigger and higher, the better, RG11A/U instead of RG6, CM7777 amp or the Motorola amp you can get on Amazon. I do 100 miles with no problem, but not from in the attic....
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#15 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:48 PM

I've only had a couple issues with DirecTV and locals here. On Thanksgiving night The Incredibles on NBC was horrible. Lots of macroblocking during the movie and no commercials had sound at all. When switching over to OTA the macroblocking was completely gone. And I didn't have any issues with other channels macroblocking either. The sound however was still messed up on OTA. But WMC frequently screws up the audio so that's not a surprise.

I've never had any other issues on any Memphis locals beside WMC though. And I record stuff on just about every network every night.

EDIT: Now that I think about it I do have occasional audio issues on WLMT as well. But that's only once in a while.

Same here! Used to haved problems with WPTY/24, but seems to be ironed out now. WLMTs picture quality has always been bad, even in SD.
Charter Digital Cable(w/FREE HD)
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Dynex DX-32L150A11 via HDMI

#16 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:48 PM

I still have problems with WLMT/24... i usually have it on every week night as i'm going to bed... probably around midnight-12:30... they show re-runs of 'friends' and 'seinfeld'... there are audio drops every 20-30 seconds... it happens EVERY night...

#17 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:09 PM

This thread begs the question. If you have a local channel problem, who do you talk to? WBAL (NBC in Baltimore) has/had a problem with rapid scene changes where there is lateral streaking (not a macroblock breakdown but streaks across the screen). I contacted DirecTV through the normal channels and I got a reboot procedure back even though I told them the issue was with two different DVRs on two different TVs and not on OTA on either box. (The problem is most noticable on the quick white cuts on Heroes.) I think they sort of fixed it but I have no idea if they did anything based upon my phone calls and emails.

There has to be someone local to report to....
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#18 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:12 PM

There has to be someone local to report to....

i really wish i could speak with the rep from directv here in town that is responsible for maintaining the hd feeds that go back to colorado...

#19 OFFLINE   Deadpool

Deadpool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:28 PM

i really wish i could speak with the rep from directv here in town that is responsible for maintaining the hd feeds that go back to colorado...

Not sure that's the issue, because I get the same locals as you and I've never had most of the problems you describe. Besides the occasional audio issues I mentioned above and the macroblocking that one night I've not had any issues with the locals. And believe me, I watch and record them literally every night.

#20 OFFLINE   run2lax

run2lax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:01 AM

The only one I ever have a problem with is channel 5, the rest are fine.

spam firewall