Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD locals in Memphis are a joke...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:29 AM

I receive the Memphis locals thru DirecTv and the only problem I have encountered was with the parade on NBC Thanksgiving morning. My girlfriend complained about the volume dropping out and the difference in volume level from the announcers to the acts on the floats.

We wound up watching the parade on the SD channel which did not show any signs of problems we having with the HD feed.

The only night we watch network television is on Monday nights and that is CBS which for the most part is problem free. I do watch the morning news on WREG( a joke) and WMC without problems. All other nights we spend watching the Discovery networks, at least I do.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:35 AM

Not sure that's the issue, because I get the same locals as you and I've never had most of the problems you describe. Besides the occasional audio issues I mentioned above and the macroblocking that one night I've not had any issues with the locals. And believe me, I watch and record them literally every night.

that's strange... because i have 90+ on my signals... and i live in cordova and my mom lives in tipton county and she can confirm the drops (over the phone) at the same time i have them...

#23 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:40 AM

The only night we watch network television is on Monday nights and that is CBS which for the most part is problem free. I do watch the morning news on WREG( a joke) and WMC without problems. All other nights we spend watching the Discovery networks, at least I do.

for some reason... it seems most of the problems i have are at night...

#24 OFFLINE   mightymouse

mightymouse

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

My satellite locals are doing great, but I haven't had 5-1(-2,-3) in over a week. I'm going to troubleshoot tonight and see what's up. I live in Lakeland BTW.

#25 OFFLINE   ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:27 PM

This thread begs the question. If you have a local channel problem, who do you talk to? WBAL (NBC in Baltimore) has/had a problem with rapid scene changes where there is lateral streaking (not a macroblock breakdown but streaks across the screen). I contacted DirecTV through the normal channels and I got a reboot procedure back even though I told them the issue was with two different DVRs on two different TVs and not on OTA on either box. (The problem is most noticable on the quick white cuts on Heroes.) I think they sort of fixed it but I have no idea if they did anything based upon my phone calls and emails.

There has to be someone local to report to....

On Harrisburg stations channel 8 NBC and channel 21 CBS. I notice bad heat waves coming off of things during football games and what you described plus I think the macroblock. I really notice it on camera zoom shots at a high #X range.
Funny thing is Fox 43 seems to be good during football games.

#26 OFFLINE   jdmac29

jdmac29

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:19 PM

I live in Memphis and when the directv signal is out of wack for local hd I just switch to OTA. No matter what I think we all need those ota antennas in our attic in case of signal loss or rain. Technology has come along way but some things never change.

#27 OFFLINE   ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:03 PM

I live in Memphis and when the directv signal is out of wack for local hd I just switch to OTA. No matter what I think we all need those ota antennas in our attic in case of signal loss or rain. Technology has come along way but some things never change.

Wish I could do that but it would take a mighty tall and large antenna for me!

#28 OFFLINE   lifelong

lifelong

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:19 PM

I've only had a couple issues with DirecTV and locals here. On Thanksgiving night The Incredibles on NBC was horrible. Lots of macroblocking during the movie and no commercials had sound at all.

the commercials had no sound? sounds awesome. :)

#29 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:20 PM

http://www.avsforum....27#post11821127

WREG and WMC are terrible. Both stations are full of motion blocking with medium amount of movement on the screen. WMC is the worst. You don't want to know what they are sending the HD feed at, it will really piss you off. Both stations talk about fixing it, but thats about it.

Personally I don't watch anything from D*, I only use OTA when I saw the PQ from D*. It was reported on the Memphis board at avs that there was a problem with WPTY from D* but that was finally fixed.

If you are moving to Memphis for the HD PQ, stay away.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#30 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:29 PM

hmmm... I still had the audio drops on WPTY last night... I watched nightline around midnight... just about a half second drop every minute or so... very annoying... but i agree... WMC and WREG are the worst... but I don't think it's their fault as all is well with an OTA antenna...

#31 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:50 PM

hmmm... I still had the audio drops on WPTY last night... I watched nightline around midnight... just about a half second drop every minute or so... very annoying... but i agree... WMC and WREG are the worst... but I don't think it's their fault as all is well with an OTA antenna...

Are the audio drops on WPTY happening OTA or from D*? I'm usually asleep at that time and can't comment on them. :)

I do have to disagree with you on WMC and WREG OTA. They look slightly better than from D*, although not much. They both suffer pretty bad from motion blocking.

See my screen shots here: http://profile.image.../user/mx6bfast/
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#32 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

Are the audio drops on WPTY happening OTA or from D*? I'm usually asleep at that time and can't comment on them. :)

I do have to disagree with you on WMC and WREG OTA. They look slightly better than from D*, although not much. They both suffer pretty bad from motion blocking.

See my screen shots here: http://profile.image.../user/mx6bfast/

the audio drops are while viewing on directv...

i just meant that with OTA i don't have problems like audio drops/video drops/and complete and total digital pixelization that makes shows unwatchable... i'm not saying that the channels are of the best quality to begin with... i just mean they are at least watchable OTA...

#33 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:56 PM

i really wish i had saved the recording of 30 rock from last week.... it was a complete and utter mess.... it was almost funny how corrupted the broadcast was... but i talked to a buddy that has comcast and he said it was fine...

#34 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:44 PM

the audio drops are while viewing on directv...

i just meant that with OTA i don't have problems like audio drops/video drops/and complete and total digital pixelization that makes shows unwatchable... i'm not saying that the channels are of the best quality to begin with... i just mean they are at least watchable OTA...

I would definitely contact the people at the email addresses in my link. Do you have an HD DVR to provide as evidence?

Yeah those channels are at least watchable, which isn't saying much.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#35 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:45 PM

i really wish i had saved the recording of 30 rock from last week.... it was a complete and utter mess.... it was almost funny how corrupted the broadcast was... but i talked to a buddy that has comcast and he said it was fine...

Have you checked the signal strengths on your sats to make sure you have a strong enough signal?
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#36 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

Have you checked the signal strengths on your sats to make sure you have a strong enough signal?

yes.. all signals are great.. and like i've said... i've gotten other people in town to confirm over the phone... i guess all the people from memphis on here are just not watching when i am... lol

#37 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:11 AM

ok... so did anyone else have the audio/video freezes yesterday during the Titans game on WREG? or this morning about 8:00 during 'The Early Show'?? (also on WREG).... right at the end of the Mike Huckabee interview....
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...