Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PPV & Ethernet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mark_mather

mark_mather

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:13 AM

Since both my wife and I rely on our cell phones exclusively, we will be phasing out our landline by the end of the year (which has become a useless cost). As well I also intend to run an ethernet cable from our HR21 to our Internet router for DirecTV DOD.

Will this also allow us to order PPV movies without a phone line connected to the HR21 through the network?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:17 AM

It is not working yet, but D* just started testing it in the CE program. I'd say that IP callback (what they are calling it) will be part of a national software release in the next 1-2 months.

#3 OFFLINE   DirecTV3049

DirecTV3049

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:26 AM

Since both my wife and I rely on our cell phones exclusively, we will be phasing out our landline by the end of the year. As well I also intend to run an ethernet cable from our HR21 to our Internet router for DirecTV DOD.

Will this also allow us to order PPV movies without a phone line connected to the HR21 through the network?

I don't think so. Downloads on Demand works via the internet (and, hence, ethernet), but not PPV . . . the receiver still needs to "dial in" to dump your PPV information into DirecTV's system.

Why not keep "basic" land line telephone service (here it's only about $20 a month)?

Like you, my wife and I use our cellphones as our primary lines. But, for emergencies (especially 911 stuff where the location information may not be supported in your area for cellphones) and for the few times where we "misplace" our cellphones or both aren't charged, we keep "basic" land line service activated. It helps to be able to call our cellphone using the land line and trace the ring tone down (ah, there it is! what's it doing under the couch??). By keeping the "basic" level landline, we can still use PPV too.

Your ethernet cable run can be used BOTH as a telephone line AND and ethernet cable. Cat 5e/Cat6 cable has 8 wires (4 pairs). Two wires are used to connect to your telephone block . . . the remaining six wires are used for the ethernet/RJ-45 connection.

Hope this helps!

DirecTV3049

#4 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

As mentioned above, it is in the works to use the ethernet connection to do the "call home" and update Directv with billing information.

So the answer to your question is "yes" you will be able to do it. Currently you can still do it by using the internet to order your movies instead of depending on the remote/telephone connection.

PS
Nice name and welcome to the forum.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:57 AM

Since both my wife and I rely on our cell phones exclusively, we will be phasing out our landline by the end of the year (which has become a useless cost). As well I also intend to run an ethernet cable from our HR21 to our Internet router for DirecTV DOD.

You can order PPV movies now without a phone line connection. Just order via DirecTV's web site at no extra cost. In fact, you don't really need a phone connection for anything.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

spam firewall