Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

High Definition?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:12 PM

The FAQ says:

Currently there is a limited ammount of HD programming available on DoD.

But a search for High Definition doesn't turn up anything (and never has). Is some HD stuff coming at some point do DoD?
-GA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cypher

cypher

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:21 PM

The FAQ says: But a search for High Definition doesn't turn up anything (and never has). Is some HD stuff coming at some point do DoD?

I was told when CE first came out with VOD there was limited HD programs available, now they are not, but will return eventually.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:22 PM

The FAQ says: But a search for High Definition doesn't turn up anything (and never has). Is some HD stuff coming at some point do DoD?

At some point? sure.
There were two HD programs when it VOD first came out. One movie and another slide show. The movie took forever over a slow connection and the 30 min slide show was boring shots of the desert.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   TermiNader

TermiNader

DIRECTV since 1997

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:43 PM

I expect something this week, but you never know for sure.

#5 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:41 PM

DOD HD via your friendly wide-band Internet service provider is NOT practical at this time. Even with MPEG4 encoding a two-hour movie has at least a Gigabyte of data to download. Regular DSL is going to take a very long time. Fast cable (5-6 Mb) will still have you waiting and your provider might get very unhappy if you take up all the slack in the system downloading DirecTV stuff instead of subscribing to their TV offerings. (I have TWC RR and NO TV!).

Cable and fiber optic providers will have local servers to send their VOD stuff to their subscribers quickly. DirecTV has NO similar fast data path. Even their own HughesNet has very limited data transfer capabilities.

#6 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:12 PM

DOD HD via your friendly wide-band Internet service provider is NOT practical at this time.

Xbox live has Hi Def movies and I have not had any problems.

#7 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:24 PM

I expect something this week, but you never know for sure.

I hope you're right! I want DOD HD now. Come on DIRECTV, throw us a bone. :beatdeadhorse:

#8 OFFLINE   JayB

JayB

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:17 AM

...at least a Gigabyte of data to download...your provider might get very unhappy...

If your ISP gets unhappy with a piddling gig or so, even if it's several times a day, they need to get a life. It used to be that a 1 gig file was unusual, but that was some time ago - now, it's getting pretty common to see game demo downloads, streaming video, etc. that runs a gig or more.

Additionally, while it's not instant, at cable speeds (I typically get about 750kbps), a file that size doesn't really take that long. Much of the time it seems to me it would be faster that way than to wait for next PPV version of a movie to come on - especially when you consider that you can start viewing before the D/L is finished.

#9 OFFLINE   vollmey

vollmey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:24 AM

DOD HD via your friendly wide-band Internet service provider is NOT practical at this time. Even with MPEG4 encoding a two-hour movie has at least a Gigabyte of data to download. Regular DSL is going to take a very long time. Fast cable (5-6 Mb) will still have you waiting and your provider might get very unhappy if you take up all the slack in the system downloading DirecTV stuff instead of subscribing to their TV offerings. (I have TWC RR and NO TV!).

Cable and fiber optic providers will have local servers to send their VOD stuff to their subscribers quickly. DirecTV has NO similar fast data path. Even their own HughesNet has very limited data transfer capabilities.

Microsoft has been doing it for over a year with same provider that Direct TV uses, Limelight. It works very well. In fact up until about two weeks ago my 360 was wireless, HD movies took about 45 mins. before the 360 would let me push play and then you could watch the full movie uninteruted.

Edit: In fact two hour movies are 4-5gb. Once again, same data provider, Limelight. Research my freind.
Dave

#10 OFFLINE   ccsoftball7

ccsoftball7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:21 AM

Does anyone have any iside information about an HD DoD launch?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...