Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20-100 (OX1be) Sluggish Remote Response

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   robnalex

robnalex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:41 PM

We have 2 HR20-100s, both with OX1be since 11/7 and both using IR remote. When we got back from our Thanksgiving travels both boxes were not responding to remote commands on the first or second press. Of course, first we suspected the batteries, but that wasn't the problem. The one box locked up and wouldn't even respond to front panel buttons.

A restart fixed the problem with one box, but after 3 restarts, the 2nd box is still not right. It takes 2 or 3 presses (any command) to get the little blue light on the box to blink and the command to execute. Everything else works fine once it gets the command, but having to press 2 or 3 times for every function is getting old. I'm pretty sure the problem is not with the remotes, since we have 2 and they both control box #1 just fine and box #2 still has problems with either remote.

I'm about ready to try a complete re-set (We'll lose all recordings, right?) and calling DTV is of course, a last resort. I might try switching the one box to RF, but we tried that when we got these boxes and the RF response was very unreliable. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   tmarsh151

tmarsh151

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:25 PM

I have experienced similar issues. It doesn't happen all of the time though. Just occassionally. I did a menu restart that didn't solve the problem. I also had ESPN HD and ESPN 2 HD screen freezes over the Thanksgiving weekend. Sometimes I could view the program briefly on 206 but not on 73 and vice versa. Usually the picture would freeze but the audio continued. After the menu restart I have not had that problem since.

#3 OFFLINE   mchrisco

mchrisco

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

I had mine not accept any remote input for ~30 seconds and then all was fine.

#4 OFFLINE   robnalex

robnalex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:54 PM

This problem is constant after after 3-4 restarts. It takes 2-3 presses for the box to get any command. I guess it's time for a reset.

#5 OFFLINE   robnalex

robnalex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:54 AM

Update: A complete reset did not fix the problem. Called DTV today and they're sending someone out Friday.

#6 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:05 AM

Weird. You don't have your box so that direct sunlight shines on it when it's not responding well, do you? Or it's really close to a plasma or LCD television? Both things can affect a remote's performance.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#7 OFFLINE   robnalex

robnalex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:56 AM

Weird. You don't have your box so that direct sunlight shines on it when it's not responding well, do you? Or it's really close to a plasma or LCD television? Both things can affect a remote's performance.

Nope. It's right next to another HR20-100 that works fine. In fact the problem box works fine in every other respect- it's just not getting the IR signal on the first (or sometimes 2nd or 3rd) press for any command. Same problem with both remotes and both remotes control the other HR20-100 just fine.

#8 OFFLINE   robnalex

robnalex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

Update: I switched to RF and it's working fine. Should I keep the service appointment just because the box doesn't work right on IR?

#9 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:12 PM

This was happening on one of 2 HR20-100 boxes. A menu reset seems to have fixed it. Given different folks are seeing different issues, seems you should keep the appointment on..so we may find something

#10 OFFLINE   bcherry

bcherry

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:49 PM

I have seen similar problems with my HR20-100 remote where the receiver doesn't respond to a button press on the remote for what seems like an eternity. When this has happened I've also noticed that the blue light on the POWER button on the front of the receiver has gone out even though the receiver is still on. The receiver will also not respond to pressing any of the buttons on its front panel. The last time this happened after about 1 minute everything went back to normal.

#11 OFFLINE   robnalex

robnalex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

bcherry- What you describe is quite different from my issue. In IR mode, the receiver just isn't getting the signal on the first press. When it does get the signal the little blue light blinks and it executes the command quickly.

I'm going to switch back to IR from RF later and see if there is any change.

#12 OFFLINE   robnalex

robnalex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:31 PM

DTV Tech came out this morning, pronounced the IR sensor bad and replaced the box with a new HR20-100. I was afraid we might end up with a HR21- glad we didn't since I like using OTA for certain channels.

I was also afraid he was going to try to convince me to just use RF, which works- but not very reliably, and everyone at DTV I've talked with seems to know this.

So, all is well and we're back in business! :)

#13 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

I am having this issue, but I have way too much stuff on there to have the box replaced. It seems kind of weird that several people are seeing this all of the sudden. That makes me think it may be software related. I guess I'll just deal with it for now.
- Matt

#14 OFFLINE   robnalex

robnalex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:52 PM

Matt- I don't think my problem was software related. The IR sensor was bad, and I have yet to read a post from someone with this same exact problem. My problem was that the sensor wasn't always getting the signal. When it did, it executed the command immediately. Other people are having a slow response from the box once it has already gotten the signal. These are 2 different issues.

#15 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:01 PM

Matt- I don't think my problem was software related. The IR sensor was bad, and I have yet to read a post from someone with this same exact problem. My problem was that the sensor wasn't always getting the signal. When it did, it executed the command immediately. Other people are having a slow response from the box once it has already gotten the signal. These are 2 different issues.

Well that seems very similar to mine. When mine gets the signal, it gets it immediately, but sometimes it just doesn't get it. Maybe that's the start of mine going bad? Sucks because I probably won't be able to catch up with everything for quite awhile, unless the strike keeps going and no new shows are coming out.
- Matt

#16 OFFLINE   robnalex

robnalex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:06 PM

Matt- Which HR20 do you have? If it's a HR20-100 you might want to try switching to RF. We did this while waiting to get it replaced and it worked "OK" but not 100% reliable.

#17 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:49 PM

Matt- Which HR20 do you have? If it's a HR20-100 you might want to try switching to RF. We did this while waiting to get it replaced and it worked "OK" but not 100% reliable.

HR20-700.
- Matt

#18 OFFLINE   Houseman67

Houseman67

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:01 PM

I have an HR20-100 and have slow response to key entry which drives me nuts. Type in 265 and it takes forever to respond. Sometimes it doesn't pick up the whole #. This isn't isolate to this receiver either I have 2 other D boxes elsewhere in the house where the response time for key entry is long. Seems like it is beaming the signal to the satellite and back....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...