Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should mods have two ID's?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,801 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

I know myself and probably a number of other, would like to be able to use the ignore function on a moderator user but that's not allowed and I can understand why. And I also agree that moderators shouldn't be treated like 2nd class users and have to censor their own comments, they have the freedom to post response just like anyone else within the boards guidelines.

What I'l like to recommend is that moderators use two different ID's on the site, one for their official usage and the other for posting their own opinion on threads. By not allowing a regular user to add a moderator to their ignore list just causes some ill will when you have to see their responses which you may totally disagree with and wouldn't see if they were on the ignore.

Just a thought.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:21 PM

How hard is it to look past their post(s) and move onto the next? It would be too much to keep up with. Plus they would most likely never get to post on a personal ID. They would be in MOD mode all the time.

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:04 PM

Our policy is that we don't allow staff members to have multiple logins.

#4 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:43 PM

Our policy is that we don't allow staff members to have multiple logins.

I don't have a problem with this policy, nor do I have the desire to block any of the mods as the OP does...

But, for the sake of argument, Chris, the next question that occurs to me would be whether there is some way for a mod to mark a message "unignorable"...

In other words, a method which would allow users to block mods who they care not to read "regular" posts, but would allow the same mod to create PMs or posts which superceded the users "ignore" flag - for those special occasions when the mod has a message which really needs to get out there?

#5 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:07 PM

Why does this feel like high school. If you don't want to read someone's post just don't read it. Get a little moxie, it's not that tough.

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,690 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:36 PM

I've been on a couple of boards (non-DBS) with "hidden moderators". Not a good idea. They generally sweep in making grand announcements closing threads or deleting/editing posts without anyone knowing the personality behind that decision. With open moderated boards at least you can tell how the mods are thinking from their other posts. On the hidden moderator boards I respect the mods because it is their board ... the most I can do is appreciate a decision they make. I don't get to respect them for what they post since all they (apparently) do is mod.

Overall, I prefer the open system.

#7 OFFLINE   budeone

budeone

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:00 PM

I've been on a couple of boards (non-DBS) with "hidden moderators". Not a good idea. They generally sweep in making grand announcements closing threads or deleting/editing posts without anyone knowing the personality behind that decision. With open moderated boards at least you can tell how the mods are thinking from their other posts. On the hidden moderator boards I respect the mods because it is their board ... the most I can do is appreciate a decision they make. I don't get to respect them for what they post since all they (apparently) do is mod.

Overall, I prefer the open system.

Could not have said it any better.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

I would point to open system have to left a notice to deleted posts what we don't see here.

#9 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

I'm on a couple of scuba diving boards that allow the Mods to have "Sock Puppets' which I think can cause problems if the Sock Puppet posts something somewhat baiting and you respond then the real mod will jump on you for your response.

I like DBS'S Mod policy.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#10 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:37 PM

Nothing wrong with DBS's mod system, they do a good job. Mods are what keep the board running. If you don't like how the site is being run then maybe its time to find a different site?

#11 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:40 PM

never needed to use the ignore button here.. one or two times I would have liked the ban on tho ;)

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#12 OFFLINE   budeone

budeone

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:04 PM

Nice set up houskamp

#13 OFFLINE   richiephx

richiephx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. If a person can't take it then they shouldn't dish it (no pun intended) :)
TNT: WE KNOW INTERRUPTIONS
TBS: TURNER BROADCASTING SUCKS
NBC: NATIONAL BOREDCASTING COMPANY

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,690 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:49 PM

Since Chris has stated the policy and the thread really can't go much further (at least on the topic of allowing mods a second ID ... something no user is permitted) perhaps we should just say "thanks for the suggestion" and move on.

Good night!

spam firewall