Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Audio Sync issues - WHEN will this be fixed?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cody21

cody21

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:19 PM

OK - this is beyond annoying. I've seen several posts by members that are also annoyed by this ongoing problem. It just seems that there has to be a reason for the issue (other than our hardware) and a plan in place by DirecTV engineers to fix this. Does ANYONE know if DirectTV fessed up to the problem and are working on a permanent fix? CNNHD is absolutely horrible today at 15:00-15:20 ... and still occuring. Does anyone know of a way to reset it or get it "fixed" when it occurs? Do we call someone???

:mad:

(followup: CNNHD magically "fixed" itself around 15:30 ... What the heck did someone do ???)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Iaen23

Iaen23

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:30 PM

I had none of either until the software release before last. Have HR20-700s since they came out. Doesn't seem to matter if Live, Recorded, OTA. Not pleased.

#3 OFFLINE   California King

California King

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:18 PM

Are you using HDMI? After I switched to component, I noticed a HUGE difference. The worst I'm getting are on CNNHD and DiscoveryHD and it's only a couple ms off. But yes, I agree that this problem should definitely be fixed. We're paying way too DAMN much for this poor service. This should be top priority and it doesn't seem that DirecTV is even addressing this problem.

Also, as a last resort, try calling: 1-866-678-9465. There are several things they can try.

#4 OFFLINE   cody21

cody21

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:20 PM

Both .... my HR20 is Component. My H20 is HDMI .... problem occurs on both.. (never checked to see if they were doing it at the same time ... might be worth a try.)

#5 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

Maybe Earl could chime in here. This problem has been going on for me since September 0f 06 and seems to be getting worse instead of better. I'm watching the Smithsonian right now and it's terrible. I've had the 700 the 100 using component and HDMI and it all stinks. Out of the dozen or so software upgrades in the last 12 months you would think this stupid and totally unacceptable problem would have been fixed.

#6 OFFLINE   California King

California King

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:54 PM

Does anyone know if this is also a problem with Cable and Disk Network?

#7 OFFLINE   snewo

snewo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:11 PM

I switched my NBC recordings from satellite to OTA due to a horribly unwatchable Bionic Woman ep. Since my HR20 hasn't had any problems with the OTA feeds, I have to suspect this is not a unit issue. I noticed lip sync issues in the past with my H20, so I'm chalking this one up to D* and not the HR20.

I think I remember people in the past explain to me that ths issue is that there is no easy way to synch the audio with the digital recordings, dunno why and don't remember the person's reasoning. Maybe someone with more of a clue can explain it. I haven't had any unwatchables since moving my NBC shows to antenna, just a few minor annoynances.

Snewo
Beer....it's what's for dinner.

#8 OFFLINE   Redlinetire

Redlinetire

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

As I understand it, the old analog signal carries both the audio and video together in one signal, along with a sync signal to keep it all 'together'.

Evidently with digital signals, especially with Dolby, the audio and video are sent separately and use some external sync signal to tie them together (hopefully) at the receiving end.

Sadly, I don't think this problem will be going away anytime soon.
TiVo Series3 --> Toshiba 34HFX83 (CRT)

#9 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:33 AM

Yes. It is an inherent problem with HDTV.

There have been a couple of different threads on this recently. This one covered pretty much all the bases. Read through it and you'll get up to speed. There are also two excellent posts by texasbrit in another thread, the first one here, that you should read.

In a nutshell: there is nothing in the HDTV standard that syncs audio and video together. It was a huge problem in the initial days of HDTV but mostly went away over the past few years as both the broadcasters and retransmitters of HDTV fine tuned their systems. With the explosion of HDTV over the past 90 days, the problem is back with a vengeance, especially on some stations.

It is not easy to lay the blame on one specific cause of the sync problem. Some people have it bad. Others don't. Some stations have it bad. Again, others don't.

I agree with Redlinetire that unfortunately, this problem won't get fixed soon.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#10 OFFLINE   bt-rtp

bt-rtp

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:27 AM

If you are using a Dolby Digital Surround Sound amp, some brands have a delay setting in the setup menu that will help reduce the perception of the sync problem by adding delay to the audio. My Yamaha has this and I have it on the maximum settting.
HR24-500 with AM21
HR21-200
HR20-700
HR20-100

#11 OFFLINE   pete4192

pete4192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:52 AM

If you are using a Dolby Digital Surround Sound amp, some brands have a delay setting in the setup menu that will help reduce the perception of the sync problem by adding delay to the audio. My Yamaha has this and I have it on the maximum settting.

I've altered the delay on my Onkyo TX-SR605 by 10ms. Works ok for most stations, but some are still way off.
Receiving Equipment: Slimline 5LNB Dish | Radioshack Model 15-2187 Antenna mounted in attic
Main: HR21-100 () | Westinghouse LTV-37w2 | Harmony One | XBox 360 | PS2 | Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player | All via HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR605
Secondary: R15-300() | Sharp 19in. CRT | DIRECTV DVR R10
Computer/Networking: 2 Acer laptops running MS Vista | 2 Airport Expresses | 5.0/768 DSL (2.4/768 Actual)

#12 OFFLINE   Richard L Bray

Richard L Bray

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:49 AM

Any sync issues that are constant, less than around 40ms, and where video lags audio can be attributed to processing time on your display. That's why some receivers have lip sync adjustments and we have outboard products like the Felston.

#13 OFFLINE   coleco

coleco

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:16 AM

May I ask a quick question here and not get jumped on too badly by others. I confess I do not know the science here regarding signals, decoding, etc. but....

Why is this problem intermittent, meaning why is Bionic Women (or whatever) bad one week, horrible the next, and fine the third week audio synch wise?
I would think that would be the start of eliminating possibly variables as too the cause. Identify what is different when it does pop up vs other times. I would be most horrified to find out that I had a severe problem with one recorded show on a specific night, and others did not have any issues at all with recorded or live version of that same show. If that happens, then it will take forever to figure out given the unbelievable amount of TVs, receivers, etc. out there. Its as if there is going to be an industry standard as to what type of connections and equipment are out there - an approved list if you will of what is known to work without problems. I hope it is not on our end, and can be fixed at the transmission end. I am scared to say the least.

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:35 AM

People I've talked to with cable and Dish network have also reported problems. The hardware and software in the HR2x may magnify the problem, it's hard to tell, but at least some of the blame is on the encoders at the network end.

Please document the specific problems you're having so DIRECTV can do their part to fix things, or encourage the networks to.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   PlanetBill

PlanetBill

Icon

• Registered
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:37 AM

May I ask a quick question here and not get jumped on too badly by others. I confess I do not know the science here regarding signals, decoding, etc. but....

Why is this problem intermittent, meaning why is Bionic Women (or whatever) bad one week, horrible the next, and fine the third week audio synch wise?

Maybe when they rebuilt the Bionic woman they installed the wrong codec.:)
HR20-700 (DECA), HR24, HR22 (DECA),
HR21(DECA),H23(DECA),R15

#16 OFFLINE   reid_86

reid_86

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:55 AM

OK - this is beyond annoying. I've seen several posts by members that are also annoyed by this ongoing problem. It just seems that there has to be a reason for the issue (other than our hardware) and a plan in place by DirecTV engineers to fix this. Does ANYONE know if DirectTV fessed up to the problem and are working on a permanent fix? CNNHD is absolutely horrible today at 15:00-15:20 ... and still occuring. Does anyone know of a way to reset it or get it "fixed" when it occurs? Do we call someone???

:mad:

(followup: CNNHD magically "fixed" itself around 15:30 ... What the heck did someone do ???)

Lip sync is a industry wide issue, its not only affecting Directv. The reason it happens is because the sound is broadcast in dolby digital surround, this means that there is a lag in it being processed and received by your tv. alot of tvs and stereo receivers have an audio delay adjustment feature which will allow you to snyc up the audio by yourself. The biggest reason there isnt a permanent fix yet is because the programming broadcaster sends the signal to directv with a lag and directv has to adjust that and then send it to the satellite which then sends the signal down to the dish and into your receiver which decodes the signal and sends it to the tv. There is alot of variables that are involved with this process. so really the best solution is to not watch it in hd or adjust the tv or surround sound

#17 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:03 AM

This problem is so bad that I have switched back to SD on a few shows. It is sad that they charge extra for a technology that apparently hasn't been fully worked out yet. The picture is great but often unwatchable because of the sound.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#18 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:44 AM

Excellent question. It is because there are buffers all through the chain. Even if you are getting Bionic Woman off air, there are buffers at the TV station, it's transmitter and in your HR20. One of those buffers gets out of sync and you have a problem.

If your NBC signal comes off of satellite, add in the buffers at the DirecTV uplink in your town and on the satellite itself.

Hopefully you will find the problem getting less with time. That's the idea. It did pretty much go away the past few years. This happened because the engineers had adjusted things to make not occur. It was really terrible in 2001.

As for HDTV not being perfected yet, unfortunately the answer is yes. Or maybe its not being perfectly implemented yet. The electronics industry oversells its capabilities all the time. I remember when Panasonic came out with their first CD player in what, 1979? 1980? sometime around then. The tag line on the ad was, "Perfection Defined". I wondered what Panasonic would say when they came out with a new model. It was no problem. Never doubt a good copy writer. The tag line on the next ad was, "A Slight Improvement On Perfection." Oh, Lord. :rolleyes:
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#19 OFFLINE   Heem(JimmyG)

Heem(JimmyG)

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:55 AM

To whom ever asked in the lip sync issue happens with other services, all I can say is that I have had HD cable for over 3 years and I have NEVER had a single lip sync issue, ever.

#20 OFFLINE   cody21

cody21

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:17 AM

.. alot of tvs and stereo receivers have an audio delay adjustment feature which will allow you to snyc up the audio by yourself. ...... so really the best solution is to not watch it in hd or adjust the tv or surround sound

neither of My HDTV have this sync feature ... and I'm paying a premium for DirectTV HD Content ..:nono:

And I'll say it once more -- the problem is most evident on the newly-released MPEG4 channels ... CBS by far the worst of them.

spam firewall