Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XM Channels :: XM Liquid Metal XL . . . W O W !

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:32 PM

They used to say that about cable TV too :) They'll give it away free in return for advertising. That's my prediction. XM and/or Sirrius will become standard on car radios and probably even boom boxes within 5 years (heck, most new cars already have one or the other as "ready" on their radios...my Mazda 5, far from a luxury vehicle has the ability to receive Sirrius on my midline radio).

They never said that about cable TV. The basic cable channels have had commercials from day one, and the premiums like HBO didn't, and nothing has changed.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,284 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:35 PM

Have you tried it with media share photos?

Huh ?

:D Did you know that you have the ability to hook up your HR20 to your home network? One of the features the HR20 has (in beta form) is Music & Photos off of the main menu, when you are connected via the network and have a media sharing server on your network (I use WMP 11, but there are others). Well, you can have your photos displayed on you television while the background music would be the XM channel you are on.

Let me know if you need more information...I'll steer ya in the right direction.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#63 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,284 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:38 PM

smiddy... XM is for sure the way to go... I have it in my Yukon.... couldn't live without it... I had Sirus for a while too... I didn't care for their selection and I had major drop outs in my area... even going under an interstate overpass for 7 seconds doing 55 mph... with XM... I can STOP under the overpass and keep service.. it may just be because XM has more terrestrial repeaters around here... or maybe because XM uses geostationary orbit and Sirius uses Tundra orbit (always moving)... i dunno... but I would go with XM... my 2 cents anyway...

Thanks AirRocker! This is good to know and does make a difference.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#64 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:54 AM

:D Did you know that you have the ability to hook up your HR20 to your home network? One of the features the HR20 has (in beta form) is Music & Photos off of the main menu, when you are connected via the network and have a media sharing server on your network (I use WMP 11, but there are others). Well, you can have your photos displayed on you television while the background music would be the XM channel you are on.

I'm very aware of the media sharing....I have the HR20 hooked to network for DOD but have not done Media Sharing. Frankly, I'm waiting for HR20 to support DLNA with uPNP. The reason is I don't want to have a PC booted all the time for music and photo share. I'm hoping that Linksys will fix/update their WRT350N to allow the USB HDD hanging off it's Storage Link framework to provide MP3 decode (photos work per Spanky_Partain). The issue is the HR20 although uPNP needs something like WMP11/Tversity/Twonky to decode/transcode the media. Anyway, back on topic....since I had not tried the media sharing I didn't clue in that you could have XM running in the background while your photos were showing in the foreground. I assume slideshow-able ?

WRT350N
http://www.linksys.c...d=4351276789B06

NAS Thread
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=110408
Input/Source Equipment
DirecTV Slimline 3-SWM Dish, (3x) HR23-700 w/DECA
Sony DVD DVP-NC85H/B Carousel
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment
Sony VPL-HS20 PJ (1368x768) => Vutec 110" Screen
Samsung 63" Plasma HP-S6373 (1368x768)
Samsung 32" TFT LN-T3243H LCD TV (1368x768)
Sharp 37" TFT LC37D43U LCD TV (1368x768)

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver
VideoStorm CMX84 8x4 Video/Audio Matrix Switch
http://www.video-sto....asp?prod=CMX84

#65 OFFLINE   YKW06

YKW06

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:14 PM

And to the OP: if you have an XM account, check out Fungus 53. It is the all Punk channel. The best on on XM and I really, really, really wish DirecTV would add it!

Not sure it's the best (no matter how much I love Skanorrhea, Cowabunga Uber Alles, Duped and Rancid Radio) but, aside from the Clear Channel programmed stations (to which XM owns no retrans rights), it's the only English-language music station in the XM broadcast lineup not on D*.

Come on, Direct!!! Throw us a frickin' bone here!!!

On the original topic here, I've almost stopped watching actual programming on the dish and gone 24/7 with Special XMas (848). When Holiday Traditions goes live on 849 (what day was that again? Dec. 1, possibly?), it'll probably suck up whatever few hours in a week I'm giving the X a rest...

#66 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:33 PM

XM Liquid Metal rocks! Although I do think it was better in it's original form, no Ozzy, no Metallica, no nu metal, just Dying Fetus, Pissing Razors, Cannibal Corpse, Vampire Moose, Napalm Death, etc. Man on man I remember the first time I ever heard Mercury.

100% pure death metal. Maggot Infested, Satan Approved! Music that will melt your face, make your ears spew blood, and your heart turn to ice as you listen to the most evil sounds as provided by our unholy master himself.

XMLM was THE reason I got XM back in 2003. To listen to the music FM radio can't play in all it's grotesque glory.

It was actually one of the original channels on the radio. I was bummed when they dropped it. Been listening to XM since spring 00. I am not sure if they even have local radio around here anymore :D

There is no way you could be listening to XM in the Spring of 2000. XM didn't launch service until the Fall of 2001, originally they were supposed to launch on 9/12/01, but that didn't happen for obvious reasons.

Its a shame because the sat radio is a great IDEA. But in reality it only works if you travel alot. Doesn't work great if you spend less then 45 minutes in the car per day.

Ennnnnh! Wrong! My ride into work is 12 minutes each way, provided I don't get stopped by a train and I wouldn't even think of not having access to both XM and Sirius on my way in.

I was unaware that XM carries Clear Channel music channels. Are these just rebroadcasts of some of their local channels or special channels that are just on XM? I'd wonder why XM would even bother with channels like those when they could just setup similar channels on their own. Things like this are one of the reasons that there is limited success with SAT radio. Why would I PAY for the privilage of listening to commercials? I could understand for something like Stern or ESPN radio which is something you may not be able to get via other sources, but for music? Heck, you can find 100s of music sources online, or just buy an MP3 player and listen to your own music. Unless they are giving away those channels for free, it makes no sense to me.

Clear Channel was an initial investor in XM, along with GM, DirecTV and a few other companies. In return Clear Channel was allowed to have a certain amount of XMs bandwidth. In the very beginning XM carried simulcasts of four FM Clear Channel music stations. KIIS (21) from LA, WSIX (11) from Nashville, WLTW (23) from NYC and KHMX (22) from Houston. Eventually all of these stations were taken inhouse and then XM went commercial free. Clear Channel was upset, took XM to court and they won. In the Spring of '06 commercials returned to Nashville, MIX, KISS and Sunny and WSIX was added back to the line up. XM created commercial free clones of those four channels and the CM channels are not available on XM Canada, XM Radio Online, XM on DirecTV or XM on AOL Radio. Before XM lost the court case they had 69 commercial free music channels, and they still have 69 commercial free music channels. XM makes no money off the commercials, Clear Channel does.

And I'd bet my life, satellite radio will never have commercials. Commercial free music is one of the main selling points and one of the biggest advantages over dinosaur radio.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#67 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,284 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:32 PM

I assume slideshow-able ?

Ed-Zackery! Yep! Crank the tunes and let the slideshow begin. :D
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#68 OFFLINE   full moon

full moon

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:04 PM

I have had XM for 4 years and it is excellent.. I like Fred, 70's, 80's, Deep Tracks, Ethel, Lucy, Actually , almost all of them offer something...I have it on my "XM Ready" Yamaha home theatre receiver...Sounds great blasting thru the 5 speakers...

#69 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,284 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:59 PM

I have had XM for 4 years and it is excellent.. I like Fred, 70's, 80's, Deep Tracks, Ethel, Lucy, Actually , almost all of them offer something...I have it on my "XM Ready" Yamaha home theatre receiver...Sounds great blasting thru the 5 speakers...

Is the signal providing 5 channels or is the Yamaha extrapolating 2 channels into 5?

I am on travel this week and my rental has XM. I'll see if I can tune in a couple of these to check it out.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#70 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:05 AM

XM provides 5.1 audio on Fine Tuning (76) and XM Pops (113), but you need a home theater receiver capable of decoding Neural 5.1. Most XM Ready home theater receivers on the market now are XMHD compatible. All the other stations are two channel stereo that can be matrixed a la pro logic, if you wish.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#71 OFFLINE   full moon

full moon

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:17 AM

Yes, I use Pro Logic to get a 5.1 feel most of the time...

#72 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

It's not really a feasible option to ask someone to do a 4-5 hour talk show, without taking any breaks at all, if only to allow them to go to the bathroom or have something to eat or drink. Therefore, short commercial breaks are really a necessity.

When Opie & Anthony began on XM, they would play bits that are typically heard on the Comedy Channel. But there were only so many of these bits that were the appropriate length of time. So it got repetitive when they played the same bits over and over. Commercials & promos for other XM channels ended up being a better way to go.

#73 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

It's not really a feasible option to ask someone to do a 4-5 hour talk show, without taking any breaks at all, if only to allow them to go to the bathroom or have something to eat or drink. Therefore, short commercial breaks are really a necessity.

When Opie & Anthony began on XM, they would play bits that are typically heard on the Comedy Channel. But there were only so many of these bits that were the appropriate length of time. So it got repetitive when they played the same bits over and over. Commercials & promos for other XM channels ended up being a better way to go.

No reason when they take their breaks, that they can't play a song, or advertisement for another XM station. And if it's news or sports oriented, they can take a break to have the latest scores or news. It definitely ISN'T a necessity. And when you have a team (like O&A) no reason one can't take a break while the other talks.

But, that said, I still think that XM/Sirrius will go to an advertising model at some point, as Cable did, as even websites have. It's the simplest way to make money that is NOT dependant on subscriptions. Plus, other business models have worked with that in the past, subscription plus ads (Pay TV, magazines, etc.) Ultimately, what will sell is content, not commercial free music. You can get music crystal clear, talk you can't get anywhere else, and out of town games. That sort of thing will sell. (and I wouldn't be surprised if eventually the subscription fee is reduced or dropped in lieu of ads)

spam firewall