Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is Slimline bad? Peak signal of 60 on sat 101

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:44 PM

Could this also be true if I'm using the receiver to see the strength and not a meter? I also have 60s and 70s for the 101, but I have 70's for the 110, 80s for the 119, and 50s for the 103. Does this sound like I'm centered on the wrong Sat? If so, how do you find the write one?

Looks like you need to adjust the elevation and or check the mast for plumb.

Left, Right + Up & Down; mast plumb + tilt as per spec for your zip!

Joe

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:29 AM

I am still having problems tweaking the slimline dish. My concern is leveling the post. It appears to be level, but I'm not positive.........

If you are using a wooden "post," you're asking for long-term trouble with maintaining alignment of the Slimline dish. That said, the best way to check your plumb is to mark the current azimuth setting with a Sharpie where the dish mount meets the J pole, remove the dish temporarily, and check the plumb of the pole with a torpedo level. Many commonly available 9" torpedo levels have a groove down one side for pole leveling.

Brannayen makes a good point, although the problems I've had with warped dishes primarily effected the HD satellites. Determining whether a dish reflector is warped is not easy. The only way I've been able to guestimate this issue is by placing two yard sticks across either side of the center of the face of the dish and then viewing the yard sticks from the side as someone slowly slides one of the yard sticks and then the other toward the outer perimeter of the dish.

Have you confirmed these "low" signal strengths with a different receiver, even if you have to borrow one from a friend?
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#23 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:48 AM

If you are using a wooden "post," you're asking for long-term trouble with maintaining alignment of the Slimline dish. That said, the best way to check your plumb is to mark the current azimuth setting with a Sharpie where the dish mount meets the J pole, remove the dish temporarily, and check the plumb of the pole with a torpedo level. Many commonly available 9" torpedo levels have a groove down one side for pole leveling.

Brannayen makes a good point, although the problems I've had with warped dishes primarily effected the HD satellites. Determining whether a dish reflector is warped is not easy. The only way I've been able to guestimate this issue is by placing two yard sticks across either side of the center of the face of the dish and then viewing the yard sticks from the side as someone slowly slides one of the yard sticks and then the other toward the outer perimeter of the dish.

Have you confirmed these "low" signal strengths with a different receiver, even if you have to borrow one from a friend?

In order of probability, warped reflector, mast out of plumb, weak LNB.

With a normal dish, the yard stick method works well, but the Slimline isn't exactly concentric (I think thats what I'm looking for). In other words, it's not the same size at the same place on each side.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#24 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

It could be the reflector. Twice now in the last 2 weeks, I've gotten 50's and 60's until I replaced the reflector. There didn't seem to be any visible flaws, dents or scratches, but nonetheless the signal came in strong as soon as I replaced it.

This can be very deceptive. I had a trouble call once where a worldirect mast had come loose and fell. It didn't seem like the reflector was affected but after 10 mins I still didn't lock on the 95 bird. When I got a new reflector it came out that it was damaged but by only an inch on each side. Focal point gets affected quickly.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...