Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will lack of OTA affect me?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bleem22

bleem22

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:38 AM

I don't know anything about HD-DVR's but I plan on buying one soon once i get my new HDTV so my main concerns when buying a HR21 was seeing people complain about the lack of OTA. My question is is what exactly is OTA other than Over The Air?

Will that mean i cannot record lcoal HD broadcast from say Fox or NBC or ABC? There are a few shows on local channels that are in HD that i will love to record will that not be possible with the HR21? What exactly are the drawbacks of the lack of OTA on the HR21? Sorry I know I am coming off as a complete newbie but thats because I am! :lol:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   convem24

convem24

Icon

• Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:56 AM

I don't know anything about HD-DVR's but I plan on buying one soon once i get my new HDTV so my main concerns when buying a HR21 was seeing people complain about the lack of OTA. My question is is what exactly is OTA other than Over The Air?

Will that mean i cannot record lcoal HD broadcast from say Fox or NBC or ABC? There are a few shows on local channels that are in HD that i will love to record will that not be possible with the HR21? What exactly are the drawbacks of the lack of OTA on the HR21? Sorry I know I am coming off as a complete newbie but thats because I am! :lol:

Basically the HR20 has an OTA tuner (as you said) and the HR21 does not. If D* (Directv) gets you local HD channels over satellite (which you might get) then OTA does not matter. HR20s are becoming a scarce commodity since HR21s are the only box being actively sold by retailers. D* can get you an HR20-100 if you need it.

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:03 AM

In what part of California do you live? Much of California has access to HD locals, but not all.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:46 AM

With the HR20, you can, with some effort, get an old-style rooftop antenna signal into the recorder and record local broadcast stations.

With the HR21, which is missing the OTA connector, the only way you can get local stations is if DirecTV carries them. Since DirecTV must broadcast them from a satellite, there is a limit to how many channels and which cities it can carry in hi-def. Further, due to lack of an agreement, DirecTV carries NO PBS stations. In hi-def, it usually only carries the networks.

In California, DirecTV carries HD stations in Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco, and maybe a few other places, but generally only networks. For example in Los Angeles, it doesn't have KCAL-9 or KCOP-13, or any "UHF" station.

See here and here

Note that in standard definition, DirecTV carries almost every station.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#5 OFFLINE   bhunt01

bhunt01

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:17 AM

Basically the HR20 has an OTA tuner (as you said) and the HR21 does not. If D* (Directv) gets you local HD channels over satellite (which you might get) then OTA does not matter.

Sorry, this is one of those oft quoted erroneous statements around here. I live in LA and over the air I can get 20+ digital channels. Yes, many of these are lower qualiy subbhannels - but they exist. Directv provides abut 5 of these. If you don't get an HR20 then you can obviously still get the rest, but you will need to find some other way to record them. So, if we ignore the analog channels, we have three cases

Directv provides all the digital channels that one can get over the air - then it does not matter. This is a low likelihood circumstance.

Directv provides no local digital channels - then one needs the HR20

Diretv provides some locla channels but not all of them - then one need the HR20

So, it seems to me that as a percentage of the population, a significant number of people will be negatively impacted but the lack of guaranteed OTA capability in Directv's HD DVR.

#6 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:16 AM

So, it seems to me that as a percentage of the population, a significant number of people will be negatively impacted but the lack of guaranteed OTA capability in Directv's HD DVR.

Once the next satellite (Directv11) is up and Directv is transmitting 1,500 HD local channels, the lack of OTA will not be a major problem. The primary negatives will be subchannel recording and rain-fade recording.

:)

#7 OFFLINE   rlhammon

rlhammon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:21 AM

Once the next satellite (Directv11) is up and Directv is transmitting 1,500 HD local channels, the lack of OTA will not be a major problem. The primary negatives will be subchannel recording and rain-fade recording.

:)

I agree.. but in my case the non-network channels were an issue for me. Also, in my area NBC is not carried via DirecTV, so my only way of getting NBC in HD was to continue to use my OTA.

Thankfully it only took three calls to a CSR, a transfer to tech support, and finally to customer retention before someone could swap my newly installed HR-21 for a HR-20 unit for me. I ordered my HD DVR back before Labor Day, but install didn't happen until November (just before Thanksgiving). I ended up buying a HR-20 locally, and then getting credited for it and sending back the HR-21 unit to DirecTV. A pain in the butt, but I can watch NBC in HD still now, and get all my sub channels still.

#8 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:36 PM

i hope my h20 dosen't die but if it does will DirecTV be geting sub channels and
all of the local hd channels?

#9 OFFLINE   bleem22

bleem22

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:50 PM

I'm in Downey , CA so I dont know if Directv offers local channels in HD I currently have a DVR so I have no idea. I guess my biggest worry is not getting local network in HD such as Fox, NBC, and ABC and CBS so I can record my favorite shows.

#10 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:53 PM

I'm in Downey , CA so I dont know if Directv offers local channels in HD I currently have a DVR so I have no idea. I guess my biggest worry is not getting local network in HD such as Fox, NBC, and ABC and CBS so I can record my favorite shows.

Enter your zip code in the link below and you will see if you receive HD locals from DirecTV or not.

http://directv.com/D...?assetId=900018

#11 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

You will get HD satellite feeds for KCBS 2, KNBC 4, KTLA 5, KABC 7, and KTTV 11.

Not on the DirecTV sats in HD are KCAL 9, KCOP 13, or anything above channel 13, including any PBS stations.

#12 OFFLINE   DJTheC

DJTheC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:29 PM

I feel the lack if the OTA port does not affect me at all.
If your TV has an ATSC tuner, like mine. Then the only thing you need to worry about is changing inputs on your TV.

#13 OFFLINE   Kadex

Kadex

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:39 PM

The lack of no OTA would affect me. Channel 3 CBS in Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids had been totally unwatchable with constant microblocking and loss of sound. Luckily I am able to record OTA on channel 22-1 from South Bend. Granted it takes more space on the hard drive but at least I can watch the dang shows.

They may have fixed their problems but I've pretty much given up on them. I'm pretty sure it's the station and not my signal since all other locals have no problems.

#14 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

If your TV has an ATSC tuner, like mine. Then the only thing you need to worry about is changing inputs on your TV.

Not if you want to record it.

In the San Francisco area, if you want to record HD PBS (e.g., The War), you need OTA capability in your DVR. If you want to record the CW (e.g., Reaper), you need OTA.

If you only watch Fox, CBS, ABC and NBC, then it may not matter to you.
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#15 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:53 PM

So, what do you set your TV inputs to to make a HR21 record from your TV's ATSC tuner? :confused:

#16 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:59 PM

That is exactly what it means. If you cannot get them via the satillite and your only option is OTA, you really need a HR20. Probably better off to go to best buy or circuit city and see if you can get one.

#17 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:03 PM

Yeah??? How exactly are you recording those? Since this is the HR20/HR21 area you must have a solution.

#18 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:04 PM

So, what do you set your TV inputs to to make a HR21 record from your TV's ATSC tuner? :confused:

You don't and that is the point. It can't be done.

#19 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:59 AM

Just to clarify:

With an HR20, I can watch and record OTA HD and digital channels.

With an HR21, I can watch and record the local channels carried by DirecTV. But I cannot record the HD and digital local channels not carried by DirecTV. If my television has an HD digital tuner, I can still watch the HD and digital locals by connecting an antenna to my television, but I cannot record them on the HR21.

Is this correct?

#20 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:13 AM

Upstream .. That is exactly correct. Assuming your TV has a Digital (ATSC) tuner, then you are set.

In addition, at some point (timing is unknown right now) there will be a solution to the OTA issue being discussed here.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall