Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lip Sync Problem- We heard your complaints and...........

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Impala1ss

Impala1ss

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:57 AM

we don't care. We have you for the next couple of years so get over it. D*:lol:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:53 AM

I think you're correct in your assessment of their attitude. The lack of responses to your post illustrate why they don't care very much. It's the old squeaky wheel syndrome. Many questions here garner a response from "D" insiders like Earl. I have specifically asked Earl, many times in many threads to respond to this issue. No luck yet. Maybe this time.

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:32 AM

we don't care. We have you for the next couple of years so get over it. D*:lol:

Maybe not you but D* cares about me. Its the little things that make me sure. Taking out the garbage without asking, a couple of Hershey's Kisses lying unexpectedly on top of my car keys, the snuggling in bed. Have you ever had D* leave you a "Love you, XXX" note inside your checkbook? I have.

Oh, yes, D* cares. :heart:
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:45 AM

Maybe not you but D* cares about me. Its the little things that make me sure. Taking out the garbage without asking, a couple of Hershey's Kisses lying unexpectedly on top of my car keys, the snuggling in bed. Have you ever had D* leave you a "Love you, XXX" note inside your checkbook? I have.

Oh, yes, D* cares. :heart:

i'm guessing your wifes name starts with a D ?? :lol:

#5 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:57 AM

Hey, just because I mounted my dish on the roof...
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#6 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:32 PM

Ahhhh..........guys.....you wanna talk about don't care.......go ahead over to cable and have a problem...simple billing issue, quality of service, all a joke.....and for firmware upgrades to boxes....well you can forget about it. I will point the finger as quick as anyone but will credit where credit is due. DirecTV has done a fantastic job taking what argueably was a not-ready-for-prime-time DVR box and with the help of this forum and their efforts pushed tons of software loads fixing hosts of problems while also providing features directly driven by DBSTalk forum folks. I'll be the first to say they mucked up the lip sync for sure in latest release....but probably did so with other tweeks...I'm sure with all the posts they will research how/where the glitch is and put in a CE, confirm and be in next release. Don't get me wrong....it is not 100% of the time but when it occurs it is very bad....so I want it fixed as well.
Input/Source Equipment
DirecTV Slimline 3-SWM Dish, (3x) HR23-700 w/DECA
Sony DVD DVP-NC85H/B Carousel
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment
Sony VPL-HS20 PJ (1368x768) => Vutec 110" Screen
Samsung 63" Plasma HP-S6373 (1368x768)
Samsung 32" TFT LN-T3243H LCD TV (1368x768)
Sharp 37" TFT LC37D43U LCD TV (1368x768)

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver
VideoStorm CMX84 8x4 Video/Audio Matrix Switch
http://www.video-sto....asp?prod=CMX84

#7 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:46 PM

Ahhhh..........guys.....you wanna talk about don't care.......go ahead over to cable and have a problem...simple billing issue, quality of service, all a joke.....and for firmware upgrades to boxes....well you can forget about it. I will point the finger as quick as anyone but will credit where credit is due. DirecTV has done a fantastic job taking what argueably was a not-ready-for-prime-time DVR box and with the help of this forum and their efforts pushed tons of software loads fixing hosts of problems while also providing features directly driven by DBSTalk forum folks. I'll be the first to say they mucked up the lip sync for sure in latest release....but probably did so with other tweeks...I'm sure with all the posts they will research how/where the glitch is and put in a CE, confirm and be in next release. Don't get me wrong....it is not 100% of the time but when it occurs it is very bad....so I want it fixed as well.

I agree. I have internet with Comcast, they still insist that I owe money that was paid to them even after the credit card company confirmed it. They kept changing the dates they said I did not pay for. Five minutes after there is a decent high speed alternative available in my area (no DSL) they are history.

#8 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:52 PM

I haven't had any lip sync issues.
I must be the only one the way some of you act around here.

COMCAST is pushing me to change over from their Digital phone service to their DIGITAL VOICE VOIP phone service since my type of phone service from COMCAST won't be available from COMCAST after January 10, 2008. Even though I'd get the new service for only $20/month for the first 12 months, it'll end up being $10 more per month after the first 12 months then I pay them for phone service now. I'm switching to QWEST phone, internet, & DIRECTV service on one bill within the next few weeks. Bye Bye COMCAST !! :P

#9 OFFLINE   Nobody

Nobody

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

Seriously?

If this is the case we'll have to do some real-time comparisons and try to figure out what the differences are in out set-ups.

#10 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

I must be the only one the way some of you act around here.

COMCAST is pushing me to change over from their Digital phone service to their DIGITAL VOICE VOIP phone service since my type of phone service from COMCAST won't be available from COMCAST after January 10, 2008. Even though I'd get the new service for only $20/month for the first 12 months, it'll end up being $10 more per month after the first 12 months then I pay them for phone service now. I'm switching to QWEST phone, internet, & DIRECTV service on one bill within the next few weeks. Bye Bye COMCAST !! :P

Trust me, nobody is acting around here.

#11 OFFLINE   RichH25

RichH25

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:02 PM

Seriously?

If this is the case we'll have to do some real-time comparisons and try to figure out what the differences are in out set-ups.

I honestly don't have any lip sink issues either. Both of my AVR's for my main set ups have auto audio sync which may be the reason why. I run both the audio and video through my receiver prior to going to my TV. However, I haven't noticed it on my other HD receivers that send the audio directly to the TV.

What are some of the channels and shows that people are experience the issue?
Equipment: HR20 (2), H20 (5), Pioneer PDP-6010FD, Panny TH-42PHD8UK, Sharp LC-32D62U (4), Sony 32" CRT, Vizio VX20L, Zinwell WB616

#12 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:11 PM

I very rarely saw it in the past, but lately it has been much more frequent. Trick plays used to remedy the problem, but that doesn't often work any longer. Last evening was very bad, live, recorded and every channel, or so it seemed. What cleared it last night, believe it or not, was I turned the HR off and back on. Not a reset, just turned it off and on and it was fine the rest of the evening. I hope they fix it soon.

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:35 PM

I haven't had lip synch issues either (except on the Meatloaf concert which I don't think was a D* issue).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:16 AM

MNF had issues as well this past week...

#15 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:38 AM

I was watching "Everybody Loves Raymond" last night on TBS and the TBSHD feed was terrible and the TBSSD feed was perfect.

#16 OFFLINE   Nobody

Nobody

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:00 PM

Right now DSCHD (Cash Cab) is pretty out of synch. video behind audio.

HISTHD (Wild West Tech) is slightly off.

#17 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:44 PM

It's a buffering issue with audio-video tracks and the more I study the subject I've learned that its pretty universal to all compressed HD.

Yes they can adjust the sync timing but at the buffer level decode/encode process the time can slip between audio/video and if it does slip it's normally forward on the sound track."Words will proceed the lips"

It may take a new mpeg codec that directly links the audio/video to truly cure the problem,Thats if the program provider was sending you prefect audio/video every time. It's clear to see it is an uphill battle for DirecTv on this sync issue.

Matt

#18 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

I also notice a lot of video/audio out of sync and it seems to always be on channels carried on D10 (the newer HD MPEG-4 channels). Is D* aware of this issue and working on a fix?!?

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#19 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:07 PM

Want to see a good example, check out the studio shows on The Weather Channel HD.

#20 OFFLINE   LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:11 PM

I've only had one show with uncorrectable lip sync issues (Pushing Daisies, recorded off DirecTV's HD feed). Problem resolved itself about 80% into the show, following a video breakup. Could not resolve it using trickplay or stopping/restarting.

I'll check out TWC later to see if it takes place.
--Larry
2 HR20-100 * 1 HR21-700 * 1 HR20-700 * 1 HR23-700 * 2 H23-xxx
AU9-SL3/WB616 MS/OTA (CM4228+CM7777)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...