Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Survivor: China "Ready to Bite the Apple" 11/29/2007

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:58 AM

Well, someone finally pulled the trigger on a great strategy. Boy, Todd would have been hating it if the HII were played .. That took a leap of faith as well.

James was a good contestant and didn't hold a grudge when booted. Good for him for being stand up, but tonight was the night to play the idol.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:31 PM

I agree.. I was totally pissed... So wanted James to pull the idol out... Man what was he thinking.. He had two. he has to assume he would win a few immunity challenges etc. Well then again given the first 3 perhaps not. Use it on ever one you don't have immunity here out. I mean you almost got knifed once.... But then again...

Soap box time >>>>.

3 Immunity Challenges..... All of them require no real physically movement or any strength etc... What is up with that? Is it me or are the challenges getting less physical with each survivor. I am not saying all challenges should be physical, but there should be physically components to the challanges. Strong physically people always have a target on there back from day one. strength should be a attribute in the challenges as much as brain or carnival abilities.

In my opinion, They all this seasons have been very weak and not even the slightest bit worthy of an immunity challenge period. Think back to season 13 with jungle boy. Challenge caliber is not even close and what really chapped my hide was PG and the comments she made. She is a huge loser at the beginning wins a few challenges designed for her in my opinion and then starts acting like she and eric are dominating..

Oh.. and don't even get me started on the Twist reward challenge. One word.. LAME and so set up. Before it even started... I said. PG will win this one... I was surprised it was closer that is was, but it was definitely designed to give here the best chance at winning to set up the conflict.

Well off my box... Not looking forward to how this one will end. So far to me the worse Survivor.. Worse than All-Stars and that one really stunk the screen up.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

I would hope that the producers set the challenges up before the show was started .. however, they had to know that it was likely PG would have a leg up in this challenge if she made it that far.

As for the twist .. It was all "show" of course, but it seems that they needed to send the participants out really early in the morning making it almost a necessity to do the RC at TC .. Marketing at it's best :)

In all seasons, the challenges required less strength as the show moved on .. usually moving to endurance vs. strength (or brains) toward the end. I've kinda enjoyed the different challenges this year as they've tried to introduce new elements that haven't been there in the past .. It's got to be hard to come up with challenges that are new for each season :).

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

Well to the first thought... "Challenges set up before the show starts". Marc Bernett has stated that the challenges and the twists are set up before the show starts. Having watched 15 seasons, my personally opinion is this is not the case. I am sure that a bucket of challenges are created for the show, but I don't think that the challenges are set at the beginning and I think the challenges are build to favor certain person strengths.

As to the challanges requiring less strength.. Look at Survivor 13 as a example... Episode 12 requires Swiming, fetching bundles etc. 11 is mental (Remembering events within the game) and knot untying, Challenge 10(First single immunity) requires hanging from a poll. obviously both two have strong physically elements.

Episode 14...
Challange 10 (first Immunity) .. Endurance Challange.. Hang on a perch.
Challange 11 - Answer question knock opponent out. <- Bad Individual immunity challange
Challange 12 - Dig, climb etc. Definitely physical.

Now compare...
Challange 10 - Balance on a dragon sitting,
Challange 11 - Knife some animal pattern i just gave you
Challange 12 - Throw a star.

Sorry I see them getting weaker.. I have never been a fan of the balance challenges because it favors skinny females (Look at the history). Also not a fan of immunity challenges that allow people to gang up on one individual (Don't see them as individual and the usually result in a random person winning which I think is totally not right).

Perhaps it is my perception, but I have definitely seen a trend towards more easy carnival like challenges for immunity and personally I don't like it. I Also see more of a trend towards keeping the tribes fed (Lessoning the provider roll) and also I thought having 3 people at the finals was a huge mistake and cost Jungle boy a million bucks (I thought he deserved it). Oh.. and the cast seem to be getting less impressive in my mind.

James definitely blew it big time.. but personally I was hoping survivor would get a wake up call and start to go back to the basics that made people anxious for Thursday to come.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:58 PM

I can't believe James did not use one of his idols. I am so mad.

Normally there is two or three people I would like to see win. But this year he is the only one that I wanted to win.

#6 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:07 PM

Oh.. as to the Decision to take out James. I personally think it was a bad one for Todd and Denise. Basically taking out James make is 4 to 2 and ripe for someone or two people to jump to the other side.

Scary Final 4 in my eyes
Cortney
Denise
PG
Todd

I think Todd has overplayed his hand and will get the boot. My guess at this point is Amber wins. If she makes some key moves know they kudos. Personally I am not rooting for anyone.. James was my vote, but I know he would be working an uphill battle.

#7 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:59 PM

I agree.. I was totally pissed... So wanted James to pull the idol out... Man what was he thinking..

In my opinion, They all this seasons have been very weak and not even the slightest bit worthy of an immunity challenge period. Think back to season 13 with jungle boy.

I hope he doesn't let that haunt him for a long time. I know I would a basket case if I were booted while having two immunity idols.

I know I have mentioned this before, but Survivor and TAR are not trying to get the best contestants, but instead collect the most random people from some of the fringes. Why, because people will tune in to watch and see what the next weirdo will do. Other than James and possibly Eric, not one of them could hold a candle to a Bobby Jon, or Colby, or that fighter pilot(can't remember his name) when it come to challenges.

I liked it better when it was the "old" group against the "young" group.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#8 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

Normally there is two or three people I would like to see win. But this year he is the only one that I wanted to win.

Same here.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#9 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:09 PM

Most of the time, the person who is truly the best survivor in terms of surviving in the wilderness doesn't win the game of Survivor. Alliance-building goes a lot further than survival skills in this game.

Since it was Todd who told James about the immunity idols in the first place, he should have given one of them back to Todd. That might have saved him last night. With two idols, he was too much of a threat and had to be taken out, and I'm surprised he even lasted this long.

#10 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:12 PM

... Other than James and possibly Eric, not one of them could hold a candle to a Bobby Jon, or Colby, or that fighter pilot(can't remember his name) when it come to challenges...

Terry! (From Panama--Exile Island).

He got hosed in that final immunity challenge that was all about keeping one's balance on floating pontoons. Women are much better than men when it comes to balance, and I knew he was toast when I saw what the challenge was.

#11 OFFLINE   chris0

chris0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

...not one of them could hold a candle to a Bobby Jon, or Colby, or that fighter pilot(can't remember his name) when it come to challenges.

Didn't Bobby John lose most of the time? I remember him yelling a lot and acting like a wild man at challenges then going down in flames.

Terry, though, he was da man when it came to challenges.

#12 OFFLINE   chris0

chris0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:09 PM

Me too. I didn't like him much for the first couple of episodes, but I think that's because he was so quiet. Once we got to know him he cracked me up.

I can't stand PG and Courtney, they need to go soon. Hopefully Amanda can take control of things and make that happen.

#13 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:16 PM

Didn't Bobby John lose most of the time? I remember him yelling a lot and acting like a wild man at challenges then going down in flames.

Terry, though, he was da man when it came to challenges.

Oh yeah.. Bobby John was the ultimate looser. So Bad infact that they brought him back a 2nd time to once again show his stuff. Same goes with his side kick (Memory slipping).

There was a term I heard in High School "Barf Boy". It basically means that on paper you should win, but you always find a way to loose. Bobby should be the poster child for that saying. The one that sticks in my mind was the eating disquisting food. He shoved so much into his mouth he could not chew. Terry just sat there and took one at a time and bobby just kept trying and trying but the laws of physics were against him.

#14 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:36 PM

Oh.. as to the Decision to take out James. I personally think it was a bad one for Todd and Denise. Basically taking out James make is 4 to 2 and ripe for someone or two people to jump to the other side.

Scary Final 4 in my eyes
Cortney
Denise
PG
Todd

I think Todd has overplayed his hand and will get the boot. My guess at this point is Amber wins. If she makes some key moves know they kudos. Personally I am not rooting for anyone.. James was my vote, but I know he would be working an uphill battle.

That would be a final worthy of the Clay/Brian season .. I don't know. I've found a lot to be interested in this season. There hasn't been an outright backstabber though. JR would have been that guy but he didn't seem to know how to pull it off.

I am glad that Dave is gone and, quite frankly, would have liked to have seen more of Chicken's antics.

I'd like to be on the show one day, but I've tried and I guess I'm just too normal :lol: I have a friend named Frosty from Australia and I'll be honest with you. I thought that there would be a "Doug" on Australia long before there was a "Frosti."

#15 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:56 PM

Something to be thinking about for the future...

I have a friend up in Berkeley that knows Yau-Man from Survivor Fiji. Apparently he's recently gone on an 8 week sabbatical at the request of CBS.

Anyone up for another Survivor All-Star??

#16 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:00 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

#17 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:18 PM

I am one of the few who enjoyed seeing James voted off, simply because I enjoyed the tactics of it and the sheer surprise at Tribal Council that James did not play the HII. It was great TV.

#18 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:21 PM

I have a friend up in Berkeley that knows Yau-Man from Survivor Fiji. Apparently he's recently gone on an 8 week sabbatical at the request of CBS.

Well, he would most certainly be on any new All-Star version .. It'd be interesting to meet him one day, but it's doubtful that would ever happen. We both do live in the same general area .. and we're both in the IT field.

#19 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:13 AM

I am one of the few who enjoyed seeing James voted off, simply because I enjoyed the tactics of it and the sheer surprise at Tribal Council that James did not play the HII. It was great TV.

Jeff always says the best way to vote someone out is to not let them see it coming. ;)

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#20 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:47 PM

I can't believe after the first debacle that they'd try another.

Former successful players like Yau-Man have no chance in an All-Stars format, because as the first go-round showed, the best former players will get voted out early because, well, they're the best. Before the original All-Stars even aired, I said that Amber was the least deserving to be there and was only there because a couple of other better players didn't want to go through Survivor again. Is it any surprise that she won it?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...