Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV to Tivo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rjhohne

rjhohne

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 06:34 PM

This weekend, my RCA Ultimate TV receiver failed. I called RCA (Thompson?) and it's going to cost $149 to exchange the unit. Instead of doing that, I just want to switch over to a DTV/Tivo unit (the new Hughes). My problems are as follows:

I am in a Pegasus service area. A thread on this site seemed to indicate that Tivo may not be available with Pegasus. I called Pegasus, and they told me I could buy the units at Best Buy and Circuit City (but Pegasus did not actually say that they will support a DirecTivo unit).

If Pegasus does work with Tivo, where in the world can I get one without signing up for another service agreement? One online vendor (Orbit??) would not sell to me because I am in a Pegasus area.

Many thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   TWood

TWood

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 09:58 AM

I can't tell you anything about Pegasus, but I can tell you that I bought two Hughes HDVR2 DVRs at a local HiFi Buys and they didn't make me sign up for any service agreements. Their only requirement was that I activate the receivers within 30 days.

#3 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 12:20 PM

Have you tried American Satellite accessed through the Pegasus website:

http://pegasus.ameri...02042901&id=103

or you could call them at:

1-800-999-7939

If you talk to them, they could at least point you in the right direction.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#4 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:39 PM

A TiVo will work fine in a Pegasus area, but Pegasus does not bill for TiVo functions.

Directv will send you a seperate bill for the $4.99 monthly service (or they did for the Series 1 units anyway).

Circuit City (and now Best Buy apparently) have agreements in place to sell DirecTiVos to Pegasus customers, while smaller dealers must charge full retail for them as Directv won't pay them on the back-end of a sale to a Pegasus customer.
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#5 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 11:33 AM

Originally posted by spanishannouncetable
A TiVo will work fine in a Pegasus area, but Pegasus does not bill for TiVo functions.

Directv will send you a seperate bill for the $4.99 monthly service (or they did for the Series 1 units anyway).

AND what's so appalling is that if you were with D* directly, if you have TC Platinum, you would NOT have to pay for the Tivo service, while with Pegasux you STILL do - what a rip!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...