Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Could an HR20 kill my stereo?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jethro1138

jethro1138

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:49 PM

OK, so... when I got this HR20 a few months ago, I plugged it into my AV receiver (a semi-new Pioneer)... the colours were a bit off and then the AV receiver died. I thought, hey, coincidence.

I got a new AV receiver, an Onkyo TX-SR705.

I had other issues with the HR20. DTV sent me two replacements, none of which would even power on all the way, so today they sent a tech over.

He brought yet another HR20 that wouldn't power on all the way.

So he plugged the old one back in, and... now the component input on the AV receiver that had the HR20 connected to it is dead. COMPLETELY dead. Nothing I plug in there works. When I plug the HR20 into another input, it's fine, but... I'm kind of afraid that this thing is frying my components and in fact killed my old receiver.

Anyone know if this is even possible? Everything is plugged into surge protectors...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:51 PM

While anything is possible.... I can't see how.

I hae an 800 series Onkyo, and I know I have to assign the video inputs to the physical component inputs... so double check that your component input is assigned to one of the video options.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   jethro1138

jethro1138

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

While anything is possible.... I can't see how.

I hae an 800 series Onkyo, and I know I have to assign the video inputs to the physical component inputs... so double check that your component input is assigned to one of the video options.

Yeah, the inputs are assigned correctly. I quadruple-checked, and I tried plugging other stuff into this input and plugging the HR20 into a different input (and the TV directly)... it's just, twice in a row is a is a little too big of a coincidence. I can't see how it'd happen, either, which is why I'm asking.

#4 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:34 PM

Are you sure you do not have power supply problems in your home, such as grounding issues?

They can cause all sorts of weird behavior. The HR20 is probably grounded thru the dish. Some homes have no decent ground in place and attached equipment tries to find ground thru the satellite receiver. There could be high or low voltage in your home, also, if there are grounding issues.

This is just a guess, but the fact that the other receivers would not even power on points to a bigger problem. My old house wiring killed a basic receiver when I first became a D* customer. Get a tester from Radio Shack, or call an electrician.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#5 OFFLINE   jethro1138

jethro1138

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:34 PM

Are you sure you do not have power supply problems in your home, such as grounding issues?

I had the whole place rewired a few years ago. It is still an old house but that's why there's a whole bunch of surge protectors/regulators.

This is just a guess, but the fact that the other receivers would not even power on points to a bigger problem.

Actually they do power on, they just don't boot all the way up. They get to the DirecTV HDDVR+ screen or whatever, and then sit there.

No other receiver I had ever since I lived here (6 years) had any issues. I dunno why this one HR0 would kill my receiver(s)...

#6 OFFLINE   SatNoob

SatNoob

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:32 AM

Have you tested the output of your wall outlet?

#7 OFFLINE   jethro1138

jethro1138

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:50 AM

Have you tested the output of your wall outlet?

Yeah. I'm running a whole lotta things off that outlet (well, all the entertainment centre things) so it's an important one! I had the guy who rewired my place check it (certified electrician). There's also a voltage-regulating surge protector on there.

The whole house USED to have electrical problems, but we're talking several years ago. Since then I've had NO problems at all, except these two incidents that are only connected by the fact that the HR20 was connected to them...

#8 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:06 AM

I'm using a 705 with three HR20s one 100 and 2 700s with no problems. I think that HR20 should receive the death sentence. Your 705 should be under warranty so try one more HR20 with a different input and see if it's OK before you replace the Onkyo.

#9 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:17 AM

Anyone know if this is even possible?

Possible, but highly unlikely. Too many malfunctions are blamed on defective grounds/voltage surges. If you've verified there's a grounding block for your satellite, and convinced that your home's electrical system was competently remodelled--move on. Similarly, modern power supplies are inherently resistant to transient (i.e. fast rise-time) voltage spikes, so surge protection is an over-blown risk, too.

I'd guess you're a victim of the the side effects of complexity. The best way to troubleshoot, then, is to reduce the number of moving parts to a minimum, validate that minimum, then add back complexity slowly. For example:

1. Remove all connections to the A/VR.

2. Connect the HR20 directly your TV. Let's assume you want your ultimate I/O to be HDMI, so use composite video + optical audio for this connection.

3. Concentrate on getting the connection in step #2 working satisfactorily (DVR boots and configures normally, and you have acceptable video and audio).

4. Without disturbing the working setup in #3, add in your A/VR connection using your preferred I/O, in this example HDMI. This will require pulling a few levers on your Onkyo, the first of which is to route the configuration interface ('Setup Monitor') to HDMI.

5. With both connections in place simultaneously, you're able to do A-B comparisons simply by switching TV inputs.

When you've got everything working to your satisfaction, you can now remove the connections made in step #1, but unless there are physical constraints, I'd recommend leaving both in place until you've established confidence in your system.

The Onkyo 705 manual isn't well organized and is a bit opaque in places. Feel free to PM or IM for help.
Joe

HR20-100, HR24NC-100, HR21-700
Samsung HLS5687WX 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver
Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player
4-channel NTSC modulator

#10 OFFLINE   jethro1138

jethro1138

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:31 AM

The Onkyo 705 manual isn't well organized and is a bit opaque in places. Feel free to PM or IM for help.

Nah, the manual's fine. My problem right now is that you don't get ANY video when anything is plugged into Component 2 on the AV Receiver, which is where the HR20 was plugged in (by the way, I'm not using HDMI because my TV is semi-old and doesn't have HDMI input).

When I plug the HR20 into any other input, or directly to the TV, it works... for now. And I'm a bit worried that it'll kill another input.

I'd totally not even THINK it's the HR20, except that when I first got it a few months ago and plugged it into my old AV receiver (Pioneer who's model number I forget) the colours went all wonky and then the receiver completely died.

Couple that with the fact that the HR20 is not really working 100% correctly (it hangs a lot, and sometimes recordings are missing a couple of minutes) and I think I have a trend going...

#11 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:13 PM

It's possible that you got a static charge into the receiver when you were plugging/unplugging something.

#12 OFFLINE   homerdodge

homerdodge

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 63 posts
  • LocationPhillipsburg, New Jersey

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:32 PM

Hopefully your making all these audio/video connections with everything turned off.

#13 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

by the way, I'm not using HDMI because my TV is semi-old and doesn't have HDMI input

You may not be able to go from A/VR to TV via HDMI, but you can certainly go from HR20 to A/VR. Did you try?
Joe

4-channel NTSC modulator

#14 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

It's possible that you got a static charge into the receiver when you were plugging/unplugging something.

Please explain.
Joe

4-channel NTSC modulator

#15 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hopefully your making all these audio/video connections with everything turned off.

Why would that matter?
Joe

4-channel NTSC modulator

#16 OFFLINE   jethro1138

jethro1138

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:59 PM

You may not be able to go from A/VR to TV via HDMI, but you can certainly go from HR20 to A/VR. Did you try?

I could, but that wouldn't do me any good since I'd still have to connect the component from the HR20 to the TV to get video, so I'd be using the HDMI just for audio.

#17 OFFLINE   jethro1138

jethro1138

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:01 PM

Why would that matter?

It's one of those things they always tell you to do in manuals. I usually turn the AVR off just so I can say I did if anything happens.

#18 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:06 PM

It's one of those things they always tell you to do in manuals. I usually turn the AVR off just so I can say I did if anything happens.

That's in audio manuals because it's easy to damage speakers by plugging/unplugging inputs while the power is on. Other than that, it's just superstition...like CSR's insisting that your force a reboot by unplugging the AC cord from the wall instead of at the receiver...and like the idea that static electricity builds up on cables.
Joe

4-channel NTSC modulator

#19 OFFLINE   jethro1138

jethro1138

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:16 PM

Other than that, it's just superstition...

I know. But it's one of the things you know Tech Support is going to ask and then blame you for.

Honestly though, most the time if I'm fiddling with the connections, the AVR is off anyway, cause what's the point of it being on when nothing's connected yet? (:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...