Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR - What did I do?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SeaCWest

SeaCWest

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:17 PM

About two weeks ago, I turned on the set and it was right in the middle of a movie I've seen long time ago but thought it would be cool to record and watch later. I figured it would just start recording at the point I hit record, but to my amazement, it recorded the whole movie from start to finish.

Thinking this is a way cool feature, I tried it again yesterday when I came across a Hitchcock movie about 2/3rds over, this time however it did what I figured it would do the first time and that is start recording from the moment I hit 'record'.

What the heck did I do the first time? and how do I do it again. :confused:

ps: I did a search finding none, so hoping I'm not repeating a post.
HR20-700 0x1b4
D11-500 0x1041
Sony SAT-A55
RCA non DVR
Zinwell 6x8
5 lnb slimline
Winegard Squareshooter OTA
Linksys WGA54G WPA enabled

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

Did you change the channel or take the unit out of stand by the 2nd time?

If you changed the channel the beginning of the show was not buffered the 2nd time and that is why it only recorded from the point you hit record.

If the unit was in stand by and you turned it on the buffer was also cleared and that is why it only recorded from the point you started watching it. But this will be fixed soon. DirecTV is working on the buffer only clearing if you change channels and no other reason.

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:25 PM

The HR2x has a 90 minute buffer. That is, HR2x stores the previous 90 minutes of programming. So if you hit "Record" less than 90 minutes into a show, it will be able to go back to the beginning and record the entire show. However, once you change the channel, the buffer is emptied, and it starts again. In that case, it will not be able to go back and record the part of the show that you missed.

#4 OFFLINE   kstefanec

kstefanec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:10 PM

Now if only we had 100+ live buffers and 100 Petabyte harddrive....

Think of the possiblities!

Oh, wait, we can't even get dual live buffers...

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:12 PM

If only we could buffer the entire stream from all satellites for 168 consecutive hours!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   SeaCWest

SeaCWest

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:45 PM

Thanks guys

You are 100% right on. I tried again, Hitchcock's "The Man Who Knew Too Much" on HDNet. Purposely started about 1 hour into it and hit record. Then turned the unit off. Upon return, the entire movie recorded.
HR20-700 0x1b4
D11-500 0x1041
Sony SAT-A55
RCA non DVR
Zinwell 6x8
5 lnb slimline
Winegard Squareshooter OTA
Linksys WGA54G WPA enabled

#7 OFFLINE   PittCaleb

PittCaleb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

If only we could buffer the entire stream from all satellites for 168 consecutive hours!

A few years ago a friend of mine called thinking my TiVo did just this. He missed a program and thought my DVR recoded everything and I could create a VHS copy for him. ROTFL. I wish!

I do think with DoD/Comcast on Demand and being fed through the Internet side, we are getting closer to this every day.

PittCaleb

spam firewall