Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lip Sync = biggest frustration EVER!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

:mad:

Evertime I change to another source (hd-dvd, etc), I have to readjust my processor's input of the HR20 to try to match up the lip sync.

Worst of all, some channels are worst than others, and so adjusting for one channel still doesn't get the others right! :nono2:

What are you guys doing? Customer Service told me they are "working on a solution" but could be weeks, perhaps months! man, I'm about a minute and a coke away from getting Comcast!

arrrggghhh

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kstefanec

kstefanec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

Are you using HDMI cables? Just curious..

#3 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:18 PM

yes....hdmi, and digicoax for audio.

tried component too, and not much difference

#4 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:12 AM

What am I doing? Nothing really since I rarely if ever see any lip sync issues. Discovery HD was pretty bad for me a few weeks ago but has been find since and one of my OTA stations has it from time to time (but that's not an HR20 problem since I see it on non-DVR units too, it's the fault of my local station.

Component and optical connections.

A friend of mine has lip sync issues and could never figure it out. He too would have to put in a delay in his A/V receiver. I took my HR20 over and he had the same thing with my HR20 that is not seen at my house. After much troubleshooting we found it was his TV, it was delaying the video ever so slightly and research showed that it was common with his model TV. So he has an A/V receiver which will "remember" the delay setting for each input so it's different for his XBox and his DVD player and his Tivo and his HR20.

So at the end of the day what appeared to be a DirecTV problem or a problem with his receivers all turned out to be a bug in his TV. I'm not saying that you don't have a problem with your HR20, just pointing out that there are a lot of factors going into syncing video and audio that many people don't think about.

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:16 AM

Scott, That was interesting. I too have not seen much in the way of audio sync issues. I do on occasion have the "Live TV" issue where you have to hit {REPLAY} a couple of times to get the audio to sync back up. It's been nearly a year now since I had significant problems requiring a reset.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:20 AM

Scott, That was interesting. I too have not seen much in the way of audio sync issues. I do on occasion have the "Live TV" issue where you have to hit {REPLAY} a couple of times to get the audio to sync back up. It's been nearly a year now since I had significant problems requiring a reset.

I see the Live TV thing as well. It's been a problem since the beginning as noted in another recent thread. Same here, a couple replays and all is well. But I don't see it much since I rarely watch Live TV anyway so I have no buffer to catch up on. :D

#7 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 796 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:31 AM

:mad:

Evertime I change to another source (hd-dvd, etc), I have to readjust my processor's input of the HR20 to try to match up the lip sync.

Worst of all, some channels are worst than others, and so adjusting for one channel still doesn't get the others right! :nono2:

What are you guys doing? Customer Service told me they are "working on a solution" but could be weeks, perhaps months! man, I'm about a minute and a coke away from getting Comcast!

arrrggghhh

That does sound frustrating having a second rate Audio Receiver and TV. Sorry about that man. Enjoy Comcast.

#8 OFFLINE   DollaGreen

DollaGreen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:16 AM

That does sound frustrating having a second rate Audio Receiver and TV. Sorry about that man. Enjoy Comcast.

There are only about 10 other recent threads all reporting the same. Xaa, whats the point of your comments?

I too am having the problems. Hope we get a response from D* soon.

#9 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:22 AM

His point was to cast a bit of Doubt that it's the HR20 at fault.

The fact is that 100's of people are having this problem and it has nothing to do with there TV's. I have 4 HD decoders at home, Directv, Dishnet, HD200 (4dtv) and a Pansat 9200HD and all of them except the HR20-100 work perfectly and thats using Component and HDMI.

#10 OFFLINE   Incog-Neato

Incog-Neato

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:23 AM

I have the same problem (just using standard component video and plain (red/white) audio direct to either of 2 TV's w/HR20-700. Some channels it's fine, some it's only annoying and some it looks like the original Japanese Godzilla movies. Comes and goes which is why the HR20 is staying in my basement attached to my 19" PC monitor (which has the same problem as my 50" plasma). Also happened with my original HR21-700 which died. I guess both my TV's have to be put out to pasture ..... or maybe the wind is blowing the sat audio signal around so it gets there after the sat video signal. :)

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,525 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:26 AM

His point was to cast a bit of Doubt that it's the HR20 at fault.

The fact is that 100's of people are having this problem and it has nothing to do with there TV's. I have 4 HD decoders at home, Directv, Dishnet, HD200 (4dtv) and a Pansat 9200HD and all of them except the HR20-100 work perfectly and thats using Component and HDMI.

....and it has been repeatedly proven that HD sources also cause lipsync through their faulty/problematci transmissions themselves.

I have seen lipsync show up on 3 different provider's hardware at the same time on the same program (at a local eating establishment) - so it was not receiver hardware related - it was transmission/source related.

Often, folks assume it's their equipment, when in fact it may not be.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:33 AM

I don't have any lip sync issues but I won't be a jerk and make wisecracks about other peoples equipment.

#13 OFFLINE   osultan

osultan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:05 AM

I have generally not had lip sync problems over my last year of HR20 ownership, except a week or so ago, it was really bad--like watching one of those dubbed kung-fu movies. In this case, the HR20 was directly connected via HDMI to a Pioneer Plasma--that and considering that hitting pause for a couple of secs fixed the problem would seem to indicate something amiss on the HR20 end of things.

Since the problem is transient, perhaps its some sort of "run-time" issue where some process is not working the way it is supposed to as opposed to some design flaw.

#14 OFFLINE   John in Georgia

John in Georgia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:17 AM

bonscott87,

Bet your friend uses a plasma display?
John

2 - HR20-700
1 - HR23-100
JVC D-ILA RS-1x projector, 1080p HDMI
Samsung HL-S5687W, 1080p HDMI
Toshiba 34" CRT, 720p Component
Denon AVR-5308, 7.1
Vandersteen
(2) 2CE
(2) VSM-1
(2) V2W
(2) 2Wq

#15 OFFLINE   DollaGreen

DollaGreen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:46 AM

bonscott87,

Bet your friend uses a plasma display?

Bottom line for me, I have had cable on 3 different setups in my house for years, never ever saw the lip sync problem. I am in the process of going from my one D* (sunday ticket needs) HR20, to making the whole house D* and dumping cable. So this is the first time I am watching other non-football channels and I have the problem on multiple channels. I dont know which channels are which sats but for sure it is on some of my hd channels.

I searched the topic, and found lots of the same.

I dont want there to be a problem, its going to be a pain, if this persists. But from all I have read, there is NO WAY this can be attributed to peoples A/V equipment. Its a D* problem, whether it is isolated to the HR20/21 or not is unclear.

#16 OFFLINE   Rodneyt

Rodneyt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:32 PM

This is a big frustration for me as well. It isn't too bad with football games, until they show the announcers, and you can really see the problem. I have it with a couple of different tv's as well. It is very annoying to watch.
1 Sony SVR2000
1 Hughes HDVR2
1 Philips DSR 7000
1 Toshiba RS-TX20
2 TiVo HR10-250's
Channel Plus modulators means All TiVos in All Rooms!

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,525 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:24 PM

But from all I have read, there is NO WAY this can be attributed to peoples A/V equipment. Its a D* problem, whether it is isolated to the HR20/21 or not is unclear.

Actually, there are settings on many A/V receivers that do allow for delay audio settings...most people don't mess with them, but depending on all of your hookups, it might be prudent to do so in certain configurations.

That said, and as I pointed out earlier...I have seen plenty of cable lipsync as well. I have seen it on Dish too.

I would wager that 51% or more of it is attributed to the source transmission issues before it even gets to your home. In other cases, it could be a hiccup in the firmware.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#18 OFFLINE   SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy

EOE

• DBSTalk Club
  • 512 posts
  • LocationNear San Francisco

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:26 PM

This has been a long-standing problem with D* and the HR20 (don't know about the 21)....

I have two setups:

One has HDMI going directly to a Sony front projector, audio via optical going through a Pioneer receiver (VSX-59TXi).

The other goes via HDMI directly to an LCD flat panel TV.

Both have sync problems -- often at different times and different channel.

Have tried component on both -- makes no difference.

Recently on KTVU ch 2 (local Fox) it was so out of sync ON BOTH SETUPS (perhaps two FULL seconds) that it could make you ill :sure:

Anyway.... D* has been working on it (how hard, we don't know) but we're all paying D* money every month for state-of-the-art programming and it's a real shame they can't deliver a watchable program on every channels. (I know, I know some will say the problem is encoding at the source, if that's the case it's up to D* to help the programmers get it together.)

This problem really sucks big time!
HS
D* user since 11/94

#19 OFFLINE   Redlinetire

Redlinetire

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:29 PM

But from all I have read, there is NO WAY this can be attributed to peoples A/V equipment. Its a D* problem, whether it is isolated to the HR20/21 or not is unclear.

Well, you're not reading far enough then, cause it's a complaint of the TivoHDs too:
http://www.tivocommu...ad.php?t=364578
TiVo Series3 --> Toshiba 34HFX83 (CRT)

#20 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

Wrong. Maybe some of it or a lot of it might be D* but certainly there are a lot of situations where it is not. Many A/V receivers, in particular more expensive ones, have audio delays built in and they can be adjusted. The manuals for setup of these receivers all say you need to configure the audio delay per input. But most people don't do this, they just plug in and go.
And as I posted above, my friend has an HDTV that has a known problem in that it delays video processing enough to cause a sync problem.

One only needs to visit the AVS hardware forums to see many cases of TV's or A/V receivers or other processing equipment as the cause of audio sync issues.

When I personally have audio sync I can blame DirecTV and I do. I also blame my local stations since the problem is OTA and nothing to do with DirecTV (as I posted already). I've seen audio sync problems with HD for 6 years on all kinds of providers, not just DirecTV. It's a nature of the technology. Yes, sometimes you can blame the HR20, but many other times you cannot. The key is to determine what kind of problem you are having.

spam firewall