Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lip Sync = biggest frustration EVER!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   DollaGreen

DollaGreen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:36 PM

Accepted, even forum police make mistakes. :P

Maybe it was emotional and overblown like claiming you're about to run to the competition when you know darn well you're not. Starting to get it yet?

No, not starting to get it, and normally I just drop things like this. However, there is no place and no excuse in a forum like this for someone to be an arse for the sake of it. Im not buying your lame attempts that you were making a more grandiose statement.

To all those trying to pinpoint the issue, there is another thread that has detailed a lot of this, and is minus the extra commentary. I suggest we all move our discussion over there. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=110791

I physically removed the cables from my cable box, and connected them to the HR20 without disconnecting from the rest of the setup. As mentioned I had no issues with cable. I think, at least in my case, it is almost a certainty that none of my equipment is the culprit. Seems others have recently had this issue start up again after it being gone for a long time. As others have mentioned, the lack of this happening on the same channel rules out the broadcaster side. Its a D* issue. Hopefully they work on it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 797 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:39 PM

No, not starting to get it, and normally I just drop things like this. However, there is no place and no excuse in a forum like this for someone to be an arse for the sake of it. Im not buying your lame attempts that you were making a more grandiose statement.

Actually the fact that you mention grandiose statement proves that you are getting it. The fact that you're pointing the discussion to one of the zillion threads (that the OP is aware of) where some technical knowledge can be built beyond simply woe is me too when are they going to do something about it I'm going to take my ball and go to Comcast, TWC etc proves that you are getting it.

Either way, I'm surely not looking for your approval or acceptance

#43 OFFLINE   DollaGreen

DollaGreen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

Actually the fact that you mention grandiose statement proves that you are getting it. The fact that you're pointing the discussion to one of the zillion threads (that the OP is aware of) where some technical knowledge can be built beyond simply woe is me too when are they going to do something about it I'm going to take my ball and go to Comcast, TWC etc proves that you are getting it.

Either way, I'm surely not looking for your approval or acceptance

No. All you do is post smart remarks. Look at your post history. Either contribute or quit hijacking threads in the wrong direction.

MODS HAVE MERCY AND CLOSE THIS ONE DOWN.

#44 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 797 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:02 PM

No. All you do is post smart remarks. Look at your post history. Either contribute or quit hijacking threads in the wrong direction.

MODS HAVE MERCY AND CLOSE THIS ONE DOWN.

Odd, this could have ended with one post from me. You and others have chosen to discuss my post, and now my entire style more than the topic. I said what I needed to the OP and now have only come back to respond. If you don't like my explanations that's fine as you pointed out above, as the OP pointed out, there are many threads on the original topic.

How's this? The OP's other equipment might not be second rate. I don't really know. Is that better?

#45 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:35 PM

Well, I still don't see how having this problem on more than one station at the same time is caused by anything the stations did on their own. So, it's either on D*'s end, or something D*asked them to do. And it seemed to start at pretty much the same time I downloaded a CE release (which is now the national release).

Ok, I'll explain it again. It is on DirecTV's end which is what I said before.

See, in every market DirecTV has a local receive facility where they gather in all the local channel's signals, usually OTA. At that building is an encoder where they encode all the local channels for uplinking to the DirecTV mothership at which point they are beamed up to the sats and down to you.

Soooooo, since the same equipment encodes *all* the local channels in a market, if there is a problem on all or most of the local channels in a market and that problem is only seem on DirecTV and not OTA, then there is a problem with the encoders at DirecTV's local receive facility.

Now obviously there is no way you're calling DirecTV to get them to fix this. You need to work with your local stations engineers as they have the power to actually get something done with DirecTV.

Make sense? :)

#46 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:42 PM

guys, just ignore this guy....obviously he's just a keyboard warrior. Has done nothing waste bandwidth on this thread.

I just did a search, and surprise surprise......90% of this guy's replies have been nothing but sarcastic d-bag replies. :nono2:

anyways, oddly enough, I've had decent success getting rid of the lipsync issue by changing the channels as mentioned. Still looking at it.

ps- Xaa, FYI, i just recently started Directv and am pretty happy with it, but I also have comcast right now. My original comment was a frustrated one, but don't worry, my "threats" were only taken as such by you.

and as for my 2nd rate equipment, do a search on AVSforum under my same username. Here, I'll help you get started with some pointers:
http://i44.photobuck...setup_hddvd.jpg
(add the HR20 to the mix there)

some of the 2nd hand equipment I design, build, and use:
http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=756408

#47 OFFLINE   macmikey

macmikey

Homer Worshipper

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:03 AM

I have it on a few channels, some really bad, some very slight. I NEVER had it before my HR20-100 was installed. And, it is in recorded shows as well. Which really frustrates me because rewind/play does not correct it.

I use HDMI and Fiber out for my direct to TV connection.

Mike
  • HR20-100 --> Sony 32" HDTV (CRT)
  • R15-300 --> Sony 27" SDTV (CRT)
  • HR21-700 --> LG 46" LCD
  • D12-300 --> Spare
  • D10-300 Spare
  • MacBook Pro w/EyeConnect (Media Share)

Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him? - Thanks to Tom Clancy

#48 OFFLINE   brahamt

brahamt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:17 AM

Just my two cents on this one. I record Jeopardy each night on my HR20 and my HR10-250. I happened to be watching it almost live week before last and the lipsynch problem was terrible. I went into the bedroom and checked the HR10 and it had the same problem. I also have cable for locals only and I checked that as well. It also had the lipsynch problem. Later in the broadcast, the broadcaster(?) switched over to SD and the problem went away. Wheel of Fortune was broadcast in HD without issue. Not saying the problem is not hardware or Directv's problem, but just supporting the person that said the sometimes the problem is on the broadcast end.

#49 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:23 AM

These issues were rare, for me, untill lately. It seems quite sporadic and I can't seem to find a common source. My worst is our ABC local, never a problem in the past. Sometimes the sync would occur OTA(TV tuner or HR20). Occasionally it would show up on recorded programs which trick play used to correct. I am not going to sit here and point my finger at any one source as it seems to appear anywhere at any time from any source. As others have mentioned it seems to make more sense to be an HDTV encoding/sync issue built into the standard, or lack of. But again, what puzzles me, why is it much more common(bad at times) than it was in the past? I would have to assume the engineers, in all links of the transmission, are aware of this and working to get it resolved. I don't think anyone in this industry wants this to continue. I know I don't.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#50 OFFLINE   weaver6

weaver6

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:54 AM

Ok, I'll explain it again. It is on DirecTV's end which is what I said before.

See, in every market DirecTV has a local receive facility where they gather in all the local channel's signals, usually OTA. At that building is an encoder where they encode all the local channels for uplinking to the DirecTV mothership at which point they are beamed up to the sats and down to you.

Soooooo, since the same equipment encodes *all* the local channels in a market, if there is a problem on all or most of the local channels in a market and that problem is only seem on DirecTV and not OTA, then there is a problem with the encoders at DirecTV's local receive facility.

Now obviously there is no way you're calling DirecTV to get them to fix this. You need to work with your local stations engineers as they have the power to actually get something done with DirecTV.

Make sense? :)

Thanks, I get it now. I just assumed they had equipment at each station.
AU9 5 LNB Dish
HR21-100 with AM-21 to Sharp LC-60E79U using HDMI, optical to Harmon/Kardon AVR-247, 2 TB external hard drive
HR21-700 to 31" Mitsubishi CRT, 2 TB external hard drive
Westell 7500 Router, Hardwired to HR21-100, 7500 hardwired to Netgear switch to HR20-100

#51 OFFLINE   ShiningBengal

ShiningBengal

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:08 AM

Accepted, even forum police make mistakes. :P

Maybe it was emotional and overblown like claiming you're about to run to the competition when you know darn well you're not. Starting to get it yet?

I think I understand your comma-spliced remark impugning my motives. Translation: "I am incapable of a civil response."

Actually, I am starting to "get" you just as others have, apparently for some time now. I will do both of us a favor and put you on my very short ignore list.

#52 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:23 AM

But again, what puzzles me, why is it much more common(bad at times) than it was in the past?

Because so much new has been happening lately. All these new HD satellite channels and the D10 coming on line - these have all happened in the last 90 days.

You want an example outside of sync issues? Look at all the problems we were having getting ESPN HD 60-90 days ago. It was experiencing pixelization and audio drop outs almost daily. What was up with that? ESPN HD has been broadcasting since 2003. Why all the problems now, especially since they are still MPEG-2. Cable and Dish Network subscribers weren't complaining about ESPN HD, only DirecTV subscribers. It had to be internal with D* and my bet is they were moving things around, getting ready for the launch of the new stations. Something screwed up and we had problems. The engineers at DirecTV identified the problem and fixed it. You don't find posts about how people's ESPN HD is bad anymore.

I will make a prediction here. In another 90 days, we won't see new threads like this one pop up every few days. Sync problems will go back to being rare or at least isolated. The easy fixes will have been made and those will take care of the majority of problems.

You've got to give people time to fix this. I wouldn't be surprised if it also took additional hardware in some of the uplink locations. If so, it needs to be purchased and installed.

My guess is behind closed doors, people at DirecTV are as surprised as you are over the magnitude of the sync problems they have encountered bringing D10 on line.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#53 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:39 AM

Just my two cents on this one.... Later in the broadcast, the broadcaster(?) switched over to SD and the problem went away. Wheel of Fortune was broadcast in HD without issue. Not saying the problem is not hardware or Directv's problem, but just supporting the person that said the sometimes the problem is on the broadcast end.

It's on the broadcast end the majority (but not all) of the time.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...