Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Receiver startup time

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Brent04

Brent04

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

Why does it take so long for the HD DVR to startup and can it be sped up? Back in 1994 when I first got DirecTV (then DSS) the receivers started up almost instantly. I know that the HD DVR receiver is far more advanced then the first receivers but still why does it take so long. The reason this came up was that I was watching the ACC championship game today and I lost power for a second which caused the receiver to reboot. Well it took 7 mins for before I was watching the game again. Can the receiver do some of the things that it does during the startup in the background while I'm watching TV like load the guide data. It seems like it takes even longer since the screens that show Step 1 of 2 and Step 2 of 2 have been added. Also I think DirecTV needs to change the second screen that comes up saying "Almost there. A few more seconds please..." to "Almost there. Several more minutes please".

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JDubbs413

JDubbs413

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

Yeah, I think it just has to do with trying to connect to five satellites. I am sure as technology advances, so shall DirecTV receivers.
5-LNB Slimline Dish
1 Zinwell WB68
1 HR20-700
1 R22-200
1 R15-500
1 D11-500

1 Slingbox Solo

Proud DirecTV Subscriber Since September 5, 2007.

#3 OFFLINE   kstefanec

kstefanec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:06 PM

You have to wait for the piece of cheese to drop in front of the mouse so he can start running in his little wheel! :hurah: :D :lol:

#4 OFFLINE   y2k02c5

y2k02c5

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:19 PM

You have to wait for the piece of cheese to drop in front of the mouse so he can start running in his little wheel! :hurah: :D :lol:

I have a hamster in my receiver. But I don't think its any faster than the mouse in booting it up :D:hurah:

#5 OFFLINE   Mykroft

Mykroft

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:29 PM

Yeah, I think it just has to do with trying to connect to five satellites. I am sure as technology advances, so shall DirecTV receivers.

No, I think it has more to do with collecting enough guide data so that when you hit the guide button after it starts you don't see a lot of "Loading Data" entries. Personally, I don't think that's a big deal. Also, the HD-DVR's seem to spend alot of time booting just before the guide collection process.

IMHO, this is just poor programming. Being a developer I know that the system has to boot and load, but it doesn't have to be THAT slow in this day and age.

Personally, I think with each new receiver released, DirecTV has gone backward in this respect. Older receivers boot faster than newer ones, even ones that aren't DVR's like my H20.

#6 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:47 PM

No, I think it has more to do with collecting enough guide data so that when you hit the guide button after it starts you don't see a lot of "Loading Data" entries. Personally, I don't think that's a big deal. Also, the HD-DVR's seem to spend alot of time booting just before the guide collection process.

IMHO, this is just poor programming. Being a developer I know that the system has to boot and load, but it doesn't have to be THAT slow in this day and age.

Personally, I think with each new receiver released, DirecTV has gone backward in this respect. Older receivers boot faster than newer ones, even ones that aren't DVR's like my H20.

Is the receiver actually retrieving guide data on boot up? I figured it was stored on disk, I know the Motorola cable boxes can take half a day sometimes to get decent guide data after a power outage, it can take 10 or 15 minutes for them to just get channel data on them, I always thought that was a pretty stupid design for something with a hard drive on it.

#7 OFFLINE   kevin1844

kevin1844

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:04 AM

The DirecTivo's were like this too, even the SD's, so may not necessarily be DirecTV's fault but the fact that there's a LOT to do when starting up a HD DVR receiver.

Still, makes a good argument for a UPS.

#8 OFFLINE   CRCError1970

CRCError1970

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

I learned about connecting my receiver to a UPS during Super Bowl 41.

VERY NOT FUN! :mad:

And I live in Indiana... You can imagine the expletives in my Living Room.

Thankfully I had my OTA split to go to both my HR10 and my TV.

I was mostly mad that the recording I was making was screwed up. I was goin to record it to DVD for a freind of mine who is doing missionary work in the middle of Podunk, Russia. For some reason he doesn't pickup Sunday Night Football there.

#9 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:37 PM

How long does it take for a PC to boot up? The DVR is a computer afterall.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#10 OFFLINE   CRCError1970

CRCError1970

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:42 PM

Not exactly... Your computer doesn't have to process data from multiple sources every time you start it.. It reads a few configuration details from a hard drive and starts up fresh. Your DVR needs to aquire a lot of information manually each time it reboots.

Now huge servers and domain controllers can take a bit of time to start... But then again they are pretty much always protected by a UPS system of some sort and are never rebooted unless it's comepletely needed.

#11 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:46 AM

Seems the old 286 booted up DOS a lot faster than my current computer boots up on Windows . . . .
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

spam firewall