Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need cables rerouted. Will D* charge me?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vestaviaScott

vestaviaScott

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:46 AM

I have the protection plan. I'm moving my den to another room, got a new 52" LCD. I need to get two cables run to the room for the new tv. I have two questions before I call D* and try to get a deal...

1) What kind of a deal do you think I could swing for an HR20. I want to leave the one I already have where it is (this will become my kids playroom).

2) Assuming they will not send out a new HR20 and I have to use my old HD Tivo, will they charge me to run cable from my multiswitch to the new room? I have the protection plan, not sure if that helps me in this situation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   narcolept

narcolept

Godfather

• Registered
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

1. This is a huge YMMV situation -- If you're willing to swap out the HD tivo, people have been getting them swapped for nothing, or atleast having the cost covered by programming credits, if not getting the HR20 for free by doing this. If not, you're looking at $199 most likely, with some possible programming credits to offset this.

2. I believe this is covered under the protection plan, but the only way to find out is to call. I would recommend finding the "ordering Tips" thread here, there's a good template for an email that some have used with success -- "I'm looking to swap my HR10-250 for an HR20 in order to receive all new HD channels" or something like that.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,739 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:45 AM

It is unlikely that moving is covered by the protection plan. Adding a new receiver is probably your best choice.

#4 OFFLINE   DtvSlave

DtvSlave

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:11 PM

I know our company does not "relocate" for free. If it is done through our dispatch center it costs 49.95. However, Directv themselves may charge a lower fee if it is ordered as a "relocate".

#5 OFFLINE   JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:22 PM

I would guess you would pay for the cable re-route. This might be a good excuse to go buy some compression fittings, tool, RG6 cable, etc.
HD DVR HR20-700, connected via HDMI to:
Hitachi 65F59A. Optical audio for HT.
H20 connected via component to:
Hitachi 53UDX10B
Panasonic PVR DMR-ES10
Technics SA-DX950
5.1 surround. Front channel = Linaeum dipole ribbon tweeters
Powered Sub
Technics SL-MC3 60 disk CD
Harmony 880 Remote (2)

#6 OFFLINE   Teronzhul

Teronzhul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:30 PM

It is possible that you could get them to set up a movers connect for you and use it to do an upgrade/move. Now, that would pay to get an installer out there and do the relocate, unless custom work is involved like wall fishing.
HR23-700 on Vizio 42glf +swmlnb to 3 D12-700

#7 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

If you get an HR20, that comes with free basic installation, doesn't it?

I was able to get a "relocate" for free by just asking teh CSR if they could give me a break since we've been customers for almost 13 years.
Richard
Sr Network Engineer

#8 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:42 PM

The protection plan does NOT cover relocation of a receiver. Some CSRs have tried to set up service calls as such though with little success.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#9 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:45 PM

You are rolling the dice.

The equipment upgrade is no big deal. The wire itself is no big deal. But if you call DTV they will route it through their HSP folks. The tech you have drilling into your house will PROBABLY not have the skill or tools to do the work. Ask him how long has he been with DTV.

I would go with the "adding a box" order plan. You can switch their location yourself.

Good luck,

Joe

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

I sincerely doubt you'll get a move for free. You might contact a local electrician or installation company.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:31 AM

It is possible that you could get them to set up a movers connect for you and use it to do an upgrade/move.

I'd love to see the giggle the Mover's Connection Department CSRs would have over that. "I just got a call from a guy to set up a Mover's Connection to his den!"

vestaviaScott,

I believe it's been mentioned, but if you add the HR20 to your "arsenal" you can have the HR10-250 'relocated' to the new room. If you don't get the new HR20 but want the HR10-250 moved to another room, that will cost you - it's not something that is covered under the Protection Plan.

#12 OFFLINE   Teronzhul

Teronzhul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:08 AM

I've seen movers connects set up just to upgrade standard receivers. It wouldn't be the first time someone has "moved" inside their own house.
HR23-700 on Vizio 42glf +swmlnb to 3 D12-700

#13 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:03 AM

I've seen movers connects set up just to upgrade standard receivers. It wouldn't be the first time someone has "moved" inside their own house.

This is "specification creep."

It may not even be a big deal, like drilling the back of a wall box to run wire out the other side of the wall.

Note that the FREE Basic Installation "one" receiver became "each receiver" and then a "second line" was added for DVRs. Connecting existing landlines became "run lines as required" to connect the phones. And "attaching to the structure" became a free steel pole in concrete
"for LOS reasons".

None of the above was requested with a compensation listed or even a request to bid the additional work.

Free rewire to another room; probably not!

Joe

Protected By... spam firewall...And...