Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sony KDS60-A3000 with HDMI to 622

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kydish

kydish

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:09 AM

I've been using component to an older Sony HDTV. I just got this new Sony and component still works fine. HDMI, the Sony says there is no signal. I ran diags and it stated that HDCP is not connected.

Only help I got from the manual was to power everything off, connect the HDMI cable from the DVR to the TV, power the DVR then after its all up and connected, power the TV. Which I followed but its still not working. The DVR is not plugged to a phone jack so I ran the phone line accross the room for testing and it still didn't work.

Is there an issue with the original 622 and HDMI? TV is HDMI 1.3 compliant.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:19 AM

Under Setup->Diagnostic->Counters->Analysis there is a HDMI Test button. CHeck to see what it says. You might have a dead HDMI port. HDMI connections have failed on some 622s and depending if yours was new or a refirb that might account for the bad HDMI port. See what the 622 says.

There is also a HDMI reset botton to try.

Another thing you might want to try as a test. Turn on your Sony TV first and then turn on your 622 and see if you get a signal then.

Are you going through any HDMI switch. If so take out the switch and see if you can go directly to the TV.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   kydish

kydish

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

Under Setup->Diagnostic->Counters->Analysis there is a HDMI Test button. CHeck to see what it says. You might have a dead HDMI port. HDMI connections have failed on some 622s and depending if yours was new or a refirb that might account for the bad HDMI port. See what the 622 says.

There is also a HDMI reset botton to try.

Another thing you might want to try as a test. Turn on your Sony TV first and then turn on your 622 and see if you get a signal then.

Are you going through any HDMI switch. If so take out the switch and see if you can go directly to the TV.

Analysis showed that OutputPort=HDMI. It show that RxKsv: 00 00 00 00 (Invalid) while TxKsv: 70 66 76 86 2f (valid)

Tried to Reset HDMI and got the same results.

I am not going through a switch, straight from the 622 to the TV.

I used the same HDMI port on the TV using the same HDMI cable but plugged into my DVD player and the picture came out fine. More than fine Ratatouille never looked so clear.

Guess I'm calling Dish.

#4 OFFLINE   LinkNuc

LinkNuc

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:48 AM

I have A KDS-60A3000 and have had no issues what soever, I have 622 on HDMI 1, XBOX360 Elite on HDMI 2 and PS3 on HDMI3...all 3 components are hooked up via HDMI out to TV and optical sudio to my reciever...I'd definitely call Dish.
HR23-700, AM21, 360 Elite, HD-DVD, Sony KDS-60A3000..."Blu-Ray Player, heck, I have to use my PS3 for something, it sure as heck isn't a video game console"..audio:Yamaha RX-V863, Bose Acoustimass 10

#5 OFFLINE   tonycpsu

tonycpsu

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:09 PM

I have the same TV, but my setup is a bit different in that my 722 is going into my Onkyo HDMI receiver first. I do get a good HDMI signal going this route, but the 722 seems to corrupt something upstream so that HDMI communication between the TV and Onkyo receiver are adversely affected.

I documented my problem in this thread in case anyone has any ideas. kydish, I'd be interested in hearing if the Dish CSRs mention any kind of known HDMI bugginess in the VIP622/722 DVRs. I won't hold my breath for such an acknowledgement from them, though.

#6 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:16 PM

One thing you might want to check. Take a look to see if there is a software update available for your TV. That might explain why one of you it works and the other one it does not or the other possibility is a bad HDMI port on your 622.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#7 OFFLINE   LinkNuc

LinkNuc

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:24 PM

One thing you might want to check. Take a look to see if there is a software update available for your TV. That might explain why one of you it works and the other one it does not or the other possibility is a bad HDMI port on your 622.

There are no software updates for this TV yet, the 1st one out is supposed to be within this week or next and will fix some minor loss of resolution issues with the TV picture settings set to Cinema or Custom...Standard and Vivid are not affected (most people run in standard and tweak from there), this update will be available from Sony's Website (www.esupport.sony.com) and will be sent on a USB key free of charge...I haven't heard of any other firmware upgrades and being that I have no issues whatsoever, I don't think its an issue with the TV...
HR23-700, AM21, 360 Elite, HD-DVD, Sony KDS-60A3000..."Blu-Ray Player, heck, I have to use my PS3 for something, it sure as heck isn't a video game console"..audio:Yamaha RX-V863, Bose Acoustimass 10

#8 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hmmm Is there a way to confirm you both have the same TV firmware to rule out that that variable. Also might want to try 480p and see if that gives out a signal. What is HDCP indicating?

You make a good point LinkNuc.. I would suspect possible a bad port but figured it might make sense to rule out the other typical stuff.

#9 OFFLINE   LinkNuc

LinkNuc

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:09 PM

I just figured out how to get into the service menu..(Power Off, Display, 5, Vol Up, Power On)...Ok here's the main menu:

Here's what it says n the 1st screen:

001 OP

000 Vers 000

(I guess that means rev 0 or initial load)

Ok, just figured out how to navigate, its like old computers use the number pad to make selection then ent on the number pad to select (Its even that old "Fortran Green" overlayed...

Yup its Version 000.

#10 OFFLINE   LinkNuc

LinkNuc

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:11 PM

EDIT: since this is here, I figure I'd post a "navigation for those interested"

The 1 & 4 key will move up and down the individual option choices
The 2 & 5 will "tab" you between sections
The 3 & 6 will make the changes to each option
The jump key "Previous Channel" will switch you between the different menu systems

As you make changes to values with the 3 and 6 keys, you still haven't committed them permanently to the set. If you wish to revert back to what the previous settings were, hit:

0 then Enter: (to revert to previous settings) (READ) couple seconds, screen may go black.

Alternatively to keep changes:

Mute then 0: (TO save setting permanently) (Write)

(Confirmed, found the previous for an older KDS model on an AV forum)

#11 OFFLINE   LinkNuc

LinkNuc

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

New Info: Call 866-918-2485, and have your serial number ready, they are not sending the the new firmware until Monday the 17 th..it takes less than 30 sec to get through to a real operator and they will give you a number to call back with on the 17th which will have the new firmware sent to you on a USB key...just a little FYI...It will fix some Green color issues and the fact that Cinema and custom do not support the 1080i generator standard...thats all I know so far....
lov
In other opinions, this is one of the best RPT TV
s I have ever seen over even the Sammy DLP's....Sony seems to have turned itself around with quality...and you can pick up a new one for 1989 at BB and I got mine from a retailer which ended up 1519 and with 199 "White glove " delivery"...

#12 OFFLINE   kydish

kydish

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:38 AM

New Info: Call 866-918-2485, and have your serial number ready, they are not sending the the new firmware until Monday the 17 th..it takes less than 30 sec to get through to a real operator and they will give you a number to call back with on the 17th which will have the new firmware sent to you on a USB key...just a little FYI...It will fix some Green color issues and the fact that Cinema and custom do not support the 1080i generator standard...thats all I know so far....
lov
In other opinions, this is one of the best RPT TV
s I have ever seen over even the Sammy DLP's....Sony seems to have turned itself around with quality...and you can pick up a new one for 1989 at BB and I got mine from a retailer which ended up 1519 and with 199 "White glove " delivery"...

The Dish CSR just told me that they will send me a new DVR and I return the old one. No acknowledgment of any issue. I walked her through what I did and that seemed to be enough for her to give me a return code.

I will be calling Sony for the firmware upgrade though.

BTW, I got my TV last weekend from Circuit City for $1,799. It fit in my truck so no shipping or delivery and just plugged in myself.

#13 OFFLINE   LinkNuc

LinkNuc

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:45 AM

Glad to hear Dish is sending out a new box for ya! Good deal on a sweet TV too, I got mine in November they were stil 2199 at CC at the time.

#14 OFFLINE   kydish

kydish

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:42 AM

Glad to hear Dish is sending out a new box for ya! Good deal on a sweet TV too, I got mine in November they were stil 2199 at CC at the time.

Gotta pay for being an early adopter ;) Now if I can figure out if that TV does HDMI 1.3 or 1.3a or 1.3b. Sony doesn't say on their site. I can't tell what the differences are per Wikipedia. Or if I even care.

#15 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:52 AM

New Info: Call 866-918-2485, and have your serial number ready, they are not sending the the new firmware until Monday the 17 th..

how did you find this out?... out of curiosity? i've been doing tons and tons of research on this tv and finally just bought one yesterday... but haven't seen any info like this... good to know though..
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:21 AM

Gotta pay for being an early adopter ;) Now if I can figure out if that TV does HDMI 1.3 or 1.3a or 1.3b. Sony doesn't say on their site. I can't tell what the differences are per Wikipedia. Or if I even care.

i'm pretty sure it's 1.3a
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   kydish

kydish

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

i'm pretty sure it's 1.3a

Just activated the replacement last night. Didn't have to do any setup on the replacement DVR to send the signal using HDMI, it just worked. Thanks all for pointing to possible issues with the original 622 HDMI connections. All is good with the DVR here now.:D

#18 OFFLINE   sjm992

sjm992

AllStar

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:50 PM

Just activated the replacement last night. Didn't have to do any setup on the replacement DVR to send the signal using HDMI, it just worked. Thanks all for pointing to possible issues with the original 622 HDMI connections. All is good with the DVR here now.:D

Was yours a leased or purchased DVR? Did they charge you for the exchange? I have exactly the same problem but mine was purchased and is out of warranty.
Stuart

#19 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

Was yours a leased or purchased DVR? Did they charge you for the exchange? I have exactly the same problem but mine was purchased and is out of warranty.
Stuart

Call Dish.

Call back and report problem with HDMI.

Dish sends you a replacement- you pay shipping at most.

Call back and cancel DHA.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#20 OFFLINE   LinkNuc

LinkNuc

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

how did you find this out?... out of curiosity? i've been doing tons and tons of research on this tv and finally just bought one yesterday... but haven't seen any info like this... good to know though..

I have connections, j/k I actually saw the idea on Cnet then went prodding SONY.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...