Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are We getting S* by D* TNT-HD Loss

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mdgrice

mdgrice

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:45 PM

Tonight I tuned to TNT-HD to watch Law & Order in HD. Surprize!!! got a great big 721.
Call D* CDSR states TNT-HD's channel was used for NFL Sunday Ticket. WTF? I pay for HD access and they (WITHOUT ANY NOTICE) take it away? Asked for retention, no real help. The state that their contract lets them take away channels whenever they want to.

CSR reports that their contract lets them:

"Accordingly, we must reserve the unrestricted right to change, re-arrange, add or delete our programming packages, the selections in those packages, our prices, and any other Service we offer, at any time. We will endeavor to notify you of any change that is within our reasonable control and its effective date. In most cases, this notice will be about one month in advance. "

I contend that temporarily taking away a channel from a package for a day does not constitute the exclusions in this statement. Since the change was of their choosing and not beyond their control, a notice legally should have been sent!.

If anyone was to ask me about DIRECTV from now on I would certainly give them an earfull. (I they would prefer that I didn't.

I don't think D* would want a jury of my peers making a judgement on this. Is there any "retired" lawer out there wanting to joust at a windmill?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cb7214

cb7214

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

Tonight I tuned to TNT-HD to watch Law & Order in HD. Surprize!!! got a great big 721.
Call D* CDSR states TNT-HD's channel was used for NFL Sunday Ticket. WTF? I pay for HD access and they (WITHOUT ANY NOTICE) take it away? Asked for retention, no real help. The state that their contract lets them take away channels whenever they want to.

"Accordingly, we must reserve the unrestricted right to change, re-arrange, add or delete our programming packages, the selections in those packages, our prices, and any other Service we offer, at any time. We will endeavor to notify you of any change that is within our reasonable control and its effective date. In most cases, this notice will be about one month in advance. "

I contend that temporarily taking away a channel from a package for a day does not constitute the exclusions in this statement. Since the change was of their choosing and not beyond their control, a notice legally should have been sent!.

If anyone was to ask me about DIRECTV from now on I would certainly give them an earfull. (I they would prefer that I didn't.

I don't think D* would want a jury of my peers making a judgement on this. Is there any "retired" lawer out there wanting to joust at a windmill?

it has been back for at least 5 minutes now
Directv Subscriber since 1999

XM Subscriber since June 2005

#3 OFFLINE   hornetsfan30m

hornetsfan30m

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:04 PM

i would watch what u post DTV can do it allso read your contract they can do it

#4 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:04 PM

I agree... This is bogus that they do that.... I have decided that I reserve the unrestricted right to change, re-arrange, add or delete my payment when they pull crap like this...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:06 PM

Given that this is the 2nd season for this...
Not much more can be said about it... Check the multiple dozen other threads over the last two years for a lot more discussion on it.

It will continue for the next 4 weeks...
And shouldn't be an issue next season, as Sunday Ticket is moving to MPEG-4
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

It seems like there are other, less popular channels that could be taken down...

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:08 PM

It seems like there are other, less popular channels that could be taken down...

Well they already take down most of PPV..
And a lot of other channels as well.

TNT-HD = 6 SD channels.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:10 PM

Well they already take down most of PPV..
And a lot of other channels as well.

TNT-HD = 6 SD channels.

what about HDNet or somethin?

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

HDNet was knocked off once last year... and the outrage over HDNet being knocked out was significantly higher then TNT-HD being knocked out.

And given the current situation with HDNet... there is next to zero chance they would shut it down for the Sunday Ticket.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#10 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

HDNet was knocked off once last year... and the outrage over HDNet being knocked out was significantly higher then TNT-HD being knocked out.

And given the current situation with HDNet... there is next to zero chance they would shut it down for the Sunday Ticket.

makes sense (about not taking it down now)... I would think the outrage over TNT would be higher though... or maybe HDNet is more popular than I thought...

#11 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,044 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:14 PM

I think they should not remove any programming that people have already paid for unless they want to give a discount. They should remove the additional revenue PPV channels if they need the space.

#12 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

I think they should not remove any programming that people have already paid for unless they want to give a discount. They should remove the additional revenue PPV channels if they need the space.

yeah... i agree... or... how about all the shopping channels :D .... that would free up like 30-40 SD channels...

#13 OFFLINE   shelland

shelland

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:52 PM

And this hasn't bothered you any other Sunday (during NFL season) the last 14 months?
Scott

HT Room Pioneer 643hd5 RPTV, HR20 DVR, Onkyo TX-SR604B, Pioneer DV-563A, Paradigm Monitor 7, cc370, adp370, ps1000, Harmony 880, PS3 / Wii
Living Room Sony KDF-E42A10 RP-LCD, HR21 DVR, Yamaha HTR-5250, Yambeka speakers, Harmony 676
Bedroom Panasonic TH-42PX80U Plasma, HR21 DVR DirecTV Total Choice Plus
DVD Collection

#14 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,044 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:56 PM

And this hasn't bothered you any other Sunday (during NFL season) the last 14 months?

Sorry, only been a member of this forum for 10 or 11 months, had the HR20 for 12 months, and never noticed with the HR10-250. Probably just assumed there was satellite trouble when I was an uniformed Direct Tv pee on.

#15 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:08 PM

Why don't they make TNTHD 245 MPEG4. Leave TNTHD 75 MPEG2. Those that want to watch TNTHD MPEG4 with old equipment on Sundays will just have to upgrade their receivers.

#16 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:26 PM

Okay, they will credit what TNT is worth for one day.

Let's see. HD access is $10 a month. For one day, that is 33 cents. TNT is one of about 100 channels, that is 3 cents for one day. It is down for about 6 hours, or about 1/4th of a full day. That makes your refund 0.75 cents.

The check is in the mail.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#17 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,044 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:35 PM

Okay, they will credit what TNT is worth for one day.

Let's see. HD access is $10 a month. For one day, that is 33 cents. TNT is one of about 100 channels, that is 3 cents for one day. It is down for about 6 hours, or about 1/4th of a full day. That makes your refund 0.75 cents.

The check is in the mail.

No, I want my $10 a month for 6 months typical apology refund.:lol:

#18 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:41 PM

makes sense (about not taking it down now)... I would think the outrage over TNT would be higher though... or maybe HDNet is more popular than I thought...

TNTHD is usually stretched SD and looks horrible, better to watch the SD version. HDNET is 24x7 pure HD.

#19 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:44 PM

TNTHD is usually stretched SD and looks horrible, better to watch the SD version. HDNET is 24x7 pure HD.

true...

#20 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,044 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:57 PM

true...

stretch-armophob!! Leave my stretch alone!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...