Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are We getting S* by D* TNT-HD Loss

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:39 AM

TNTHD is usually stretched SD and looks horrible, better to watch the SD version. HDNET is 24x7 pure HD.

Actually, you haven't been watching. TNT has increased its HD content particularly on movies (when they came back on, A Beautiful Mind was on in full HD). I have even seen OAR on there lately.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:42 AM

In the meantime this is is all temporary. There will be a lot more capacity this time next year, so hopefully nothing will need to get shut off.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:25 AM

Actually, you haven't been watching. TNT has increased its HD content particularly on movies (when they came back on, A Beautiful Mind was on in full HD). I have even seen OAR on there lately.

Could be. TNT just never has a single thing on I would care to watch. And any of their movies have commercials so if there happens to be one I would watch I'll catch it on HBO the Ocho sometime or just drop it in my Netflix queue at that point. I refuse to ever watch movies with commercials in them. But that's just me. :D

#24 OFFLINE   mdgrice

mdgrice

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:41 AM

I just got my box in November. I had not seen the "drop" of TNT-HD before this Sunday. Apparently the "switch to Sunday Ticket" is NOT sent in a notice as it is stated in their 'terms.' Clearly it is well known by D* since they apparently do it every Sunday. (They have my e-mail address and I never received any notice)

It seems to me that they could eaisly take down one of the 2 HD guides channels [75 or/and 92] instead. These seem to be completely worthless (even worth less than the shopping channels)

#25 OFFLINE   twaller

twaller

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:45 AM

The guide channels take almost 0 bandwidth, plus they are on D10. They need the bandwidth on the legacy sats for ST.

#26 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:10 AM

HDNet was knocked off once last year... and the outrage over HDNet being knocked out was significantly higher then TNT-HD being knocked out.

But that was a special circumstance and the outrage of TNT-HD being taken off the air those two specific weekends (NASCAR - nuff said;) ) would have been deafening compared to the outrage of HDNet being taken down.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#27 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:16 AM

It isn't exactly like there won't be more reruns of L&O on TNT HD today, or repeats of other L&O series on yesterday. You could still program the 24/7 L&O channel easily with one network out for the day.

And I say this as a big fan of two of the three main L&O series. The other one I just like. :sure:
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#28 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:46 AM

HDNet was knocked off once last year... and the outrage over HDNet being knocked out was significantly higher then TNT-HD being knocked out.

And given the current situation with HDNet... there is next to zero chance they would shut it down for the Sunday Ticket.

This one should be obvious. If they take down TNT HD, at lease there is programming on TNT SD. There is no SDNET for when they might take down HDNET.

P.S. I would much rather have HDNET than TNT anyway.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#29 OFFLINE   DJTheC

DJTheC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:26 PM

Most people are busy watching Football during that period anyway to even notice what's on TNT.
You can blame anyone you want, DirecTV (not D*), for not having enough bandwidth, the FCC for not allocating enough space, DISH for having the other 1/2 of the spectrum, or the Armchair QBs who demand they must see EVERY football game. The bottom line is that right now, DirecTV sees that Sunday Ticket is watched more than TNT.
I mean no harm to anyone, I'm just trying to state what I see.
Thanks!

#30 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:30 PM

But that was a special circumstance and the outrage of TNT-HD being taken off the air those two specific weekends (NASCAR - nuff said;) ) would have been deafening compared to the outrage of HDNet being taken down.

I remember that.... but it was amazing how many people were posting about HDNet going dark for the day.... it was a LOT more then the intial level of people on the TNT
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#31 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:26 PM

I don't think D* would want a jury of my peers making a judgement on this. Is there any "retired" lawer out there wanting to joust at a windmill?

I doubt you'd get to a jury. Summary judgment for DirecTV.
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#32 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:53 PM

< fade to commercial >

come back from break with

Daa-Dumm
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#33 OFFLINE   kaysersoze

kaysersoze

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 261 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

Given that this is the 2nd season for this...
Not much more can be said about it... Check the multiple dozen other threads over the last two years for a lot more discussion on it.

It will continue for the next 4 weeks...
And shouldn't be an issue next season, as Sunday Ticket is moving to MPEG-4

Earl, I have a big problem with the sunday ticket moving to MPEG4.....What are all the Dolphin fans going to bitch and moan about.;)
HR20-700
HR10-250
R10 (2)

#34 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:41 PM

As for taking down the shopping networks. It ain't gonna happen. They pay DirecTV to be carried.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

spam firewall