Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone ever audit.....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spreggin

spreggin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:08 PM

how many HD channels actually have HD programming at any given time? Probably a time consuming task but I would venture a guess that at any given time the actual number of HD channels with HD programming is considerably less than that which is advertised.... now, I am not complaining... I merely find it amusing....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spreggin

spreggin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

reading some other threads.... seems that the channel juggle is standard practice....

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:16 PM

It doesnt matter how many are not showing HD programming, D* has given them the channel space, what the broadcasters do with it is beyond their control. D* is providing those channels for HD content, as advertised.

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:23 PM

It would be futile. It changes all the time. Depends on what they have on.

Anyway, it is growing. Scifi has more HD each week. As does FX. TNT has even gone OAR on a lot of their stuff recently. History...anything made in 2007 is HD.

Just a waste of time. HD will continue to grow and grow. DirecTV has provided that growth for us.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#5 OFFLINE   spreggin

spreggin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:26 PM

then why was TNTHD scrubbed?.... were they not given the same channel space??? The Laker/Magic game is being broadcast in HD.... but not by DirectTV... FSNWest has the same channel space provided by DTV .... but yet they are not showing it in HD.... seems they are arbitrarily juggling channels...

#6 OFFLINE   rjdude

rjdude

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:44 PM

how many HD channels actually have HD programming at any given time? Probably a time consuming task but I would venture a guess that at any given time the actual number of HD channels with HD programming is considerably less than that which is advertised.... now, I am not complaining... I merely find it amusing....

give it time, the HD rollout just started up recently! There's a lot of equipment upgrades yet to happen in order to make more HD programming available. Also, you would never get 100% HD as a lot of channels kick in with "paid programming" after hours... Out here on the west coast, we're even more screwed because we get the east coast feeds of these channels, and the paid programming cuts way in before we even get sleepy!

#7 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,648 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:44 AM

then why was TNTHD scrubbed?.... were they not given the same channel space??? The Laker/Magic game is being broadcast in HD.... but not by DirectTV... FSNWest has the same channel space provided by DTV .... but yet they are not showing it in HD.... seems they are arbitrarily juggling channels...

For Sunday Ticket this year, they have to juggle mpeg-2 channels. TNTHD is still mpeg-2, even on 245. Next year, ST will go mpeg-4 and there shouldn't be any juggling.

As for the original question, when did DirecTV ever advertise that the HD channels would have 16:9, HD content 24/7? DirecTV provides the bandwith and the channels provide the content. Take content issues up with each individual channel/provider.

#8 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,685 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:57 AM

DIRECTV isn't advertising "HD channels with HD programming" ... it's advertising "HD channels". Subtle difference.

#9 OFFLINE   rrrick8

rrrick8

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:57 AM

I find it more amusing that people continue to complain as the HD expansion continues to grow.

HD programing is up to the stations. Directv is broadcasting the channels.
Have you tried writing or contacting the stations to increase their HD output?
--------------------------------------------

MY SETUP

Vermilionweather.com

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:11 AM

It's not up to DIRECTV to force the content providers to actually provide HD programming. For some of these channels this is the first time they are getting wide distribution, and it's going to take some time for them to come up with the content.

Others... I presume will be stretchovision for years to come.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   spreggin

spreggin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:51 AM

not complaining.... just find it interesting.... this is HD hog heaven....seriously...

spam firewall