Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Change in HD channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vbfreak_98

vbfreak_98

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:35 AM

DirecTV sent a flyer saying that HDNet, HDNetMovies and Universal HD will not be part of HD Access anymore.

They are now a part of HD Extra pack (5.99 /month)..

Isn't this a breach of contract on their part ? We only get about 4 HD channels from the original pack.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:43 AM

Further explanation please. You only get 4 HD channels?
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   Snoofie

Snoofie

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:46 AM

This has kind of been beat to death in many different threads over the past few months.
HR20-100
XBOX 360
XBOX Live Gamertag: Snoofie71
Samsung 50" DLP

#4 OFFLINE   phox_mulder

phox_mulder

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:38 PM

We were all newbs once.

Anything that doesn't have a standard definition counterpart is now part of the "HD Extra Pack"

ESPN-HD, Discovery HD, TNT-HD, and others all have a SD counterpart, so those are covered under the HD Access fee.

Since there has never been a SDNet, or SDNet Movies or Universal SD, these fall into the Extra category.

Hopefully some more of these channels are coming to make the cost more palatable.

phox

#5 OFFLINE   omj

omj

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:14 PM

I have the total choice package from a while back. It's currently not offered anymore. I haven't received any information regarding a change in programing either. Maybe it has to do with what package you subscribe. I do know that if they cut my channels or start billing me more I am going to go through the roof. Especially after I have enduring the non stop lip sync problems.

#6 OFFLINE   L2BENGTREK

L2BENGTREK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:20 PM

The same thing doesn't apply to premium channels does it? Cuz' if I'm looking at it right, aren't there a couple of the STARZ channels now that are just HD?
Scott

Slimline 3/SWiM

Sony SXRD KDS-50A2000
HR34-700 via HDMI, Whole Home, Native On, 480p, 720p, 1080i
2 TB external eSATA
Harmony 700

Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100
HR20-700 via Component (Damn HDCP!), Whole Home, Native On, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
OTA

Hooked to regular TV's:
HR20-700, Whole Home, patiently waiting for a new TV!
2 R16-300's (1 SlingBoxed)
1 D12 standard receiver

#7 OFFLINE   248 F1

248 F1

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:25 PM

All their literature and everywhere you look on the website you'll find:

Programming and pricing subject to change at any time.

I'd say it was time to start believing them.
DirecTv since '97
AU9-S w/WB68 > HR20, H20, H10, Samsung TS-360, H21 > Psyclone HDMI selector > (2) 46" Sony Bravia > (1) Sharp 19 LCD < Sony PS3, < Toshiba HD-A2, > Pioneer VSX D814 > Motorola Bluetooth and Pioneer IR Headphones

#8 OFFLINE   tuff bob

tuff bob

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

The same thing doesn't apply to premium channels does it? Cuz' if I'm looking at it right, aren't there a couple of the STARZ channels now that are just HD?

whoops!

also the HD equivalent of PPV's are not included in the HD Access fee. :sure:

#9 OFFLINE   rlgold88

rlgold88

Godfather

• Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

All their literature and everywhere you look on the website you'll find:

Programming and pricing subject to change at any time.

I'd say it was time to start believing them.

Yes but they will have to keep the cost in line, because competition is coming. And the agreement only lasts 2 years or less dependoing on your activation date.

#10 OFFLINE   248 F1

248 F1

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:47 PM

Yes but they will have to keep the cost in line, because competition is coming. And the agreement only lasts 2 years or less dependoing on your activation date.

Freedom of choice, .....it is a great thing.
DirecTv since '97
AU9-S w/WB68 > HR20, H20, H10, Samsung TS-360, H21 > Psyclone HDMI selector > (2) 46" Sony Bravia > (1) Sharp 19 LCD < Sony PS3, < Toshiba HD-A2, > Pioneer VSX D814 > Motorola Bluetooth and Pioneer IR Headphones

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:52 PM

Just a point of clarrification.

Those channels have ALWAYS been part of the HD Extra Package...
It is just that the HD Extra Package was given to all users who subscribed to the HD Access add-on, for 3 months.

That 3 months is expiring December 15th, for those that where automatically converted to HD Access from the old HD Package
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   whalene

whalene

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:57 PM

I know HDNet had sued directv for driving away their customers by putting their channel on a higher tier but there was a court order to not put the channels on the higher tier for the moment until it is settled in court. Does anyone know if there was some sort of agreement between the 2 companies?

#13 OFFLINE   tuff bob

tuff bob

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:06 PM

It is just that the HD Extra Package was given to all users who subscribed to the HD Access add-on, for 3 months.

That 3 months is expiring December 15th, for those that where automatically converted to HD Access from the old HD Package

signed,

DirecTV lawyers.

#14 OFFLINE   whalene

whalene

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

I know HDNet had sued directv for driving away their customers by putting their channel on a higher tier but there was a court order to not put the channels on the higher tier for the moment until it is settled in court. Does anyone know if there was some sort of agreement between the 2 companies?

i found the article at tvpredictions.com. it stated that hdnet won a temporary restraining order against directv which prevents them from moving hdnet to the hd extra pack. the order expires on 12/10 but they are scheduled to have a hearing on 12/7 to see if they can have a permanent restraining order put in place to keep hdnet in the same hd tier.

#15 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:23 PM

signed,

DirecTV lawyers.

Signed...
Facts of the situation...

That is the way it has been since the day the new channels were activated..
And actually even before that, when the package was announced to be there.....

Regardless if you "think" it was a differently or not, that is how it was setup technically (on the programming access level), when the multiple week worth of adjustments and updating was done a few months back.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   248 F1

248 F1

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

Directv response to my request to sign on for "extra" pack.

Thanks for writing about your DIRECTV account. I see that you've been with us since 1997 and I want to let you know that we truly appreciate your business.

At DIRECTV, we're always interested in hearing customer feedback. We're glad to hear that you are enjoying our new HD programming.

I understand that you'd like HD Extra activated in your account. I'd be more than happy to address your concern.

Please be informed that the channels included in the HD Extra pack is still available for free until 12/15/07. I have set up instead a pending activation date of HD Extra to avoid any additional charges in your account. For your reference, on 12/16/07, HD Extra will be automatically activated in your account and that is the only time we will start billing you. The changes to your account will be reflected on your next DIRECTV bill, or you can see them immediately by signing into your DIRECTV account online at directv.com/mydirectv and clicking on "View Recent Activity" in the My Account column.

Lastly, to make sure that you continue to receive...... etc etc...
DirecTv since '97

#17 OFFLINE   vbfreak_98

vbfreak_98

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:57 AM

That's incorrect. HD Extra package has been just introduced in the last 2 months or so.

I've had HD channels as part of the HD Package for which I've been paying an extra 9.99/month for the last one year. This so called HD package that earlier had 7 channels has only 4 freakin channels and local channels now.

Please do not confuse with the new channels that have been introduced now (CNN-HD, CNBC-HD etc.) This was bound to happen anyways and has not been charged separately yet.

#18 OFFLINE   lifelong

lifelong

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:21 AM

i found the article at tvpredictions.com. it stated that hdnet won a temporary restraining order against directv which prevents them from moving hdnet to the hd extra pack. the order expires on 12/10 but they are scheduled to have a hearing on 12/7 to see if they can have a permanent restraining order put in place to keep hdnet in the same hd tier.

I really hope HDNet stays within the basic HD Access fee instead of moving up to the Extra Pack. I REALLY like HDNet, so keeping it out of the Extra Pack would save me some nice change per year. It's probably the only channel out of the provisional extra pack channels that I "need."

#19 OFFLINE   fwlogue

fwlogue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:35 AM

That's incorrect. HD Extra package has been just introduced in the last 2 months or so.

I've had HD channels as part of the HD Package for which I've been paying an extra 9.99/month for the last one year. This so called HD package that earlier had 7 channels has only 4 freakin channels and local channels now.

Please do not confuse with the new channels that have been introduced now (CNN-HD, CNBC-HD etc.) This was bound to happen anyways and has not been charged separately yet.

Actually you are incorrect. The HD extra Pack is the old HD package with less channels. Before if you subsribed to the HD package you got everything that was HD, ESPN, HBO, Starz etc. You did not have to subscribe to Starz or HBO to get the HD versions just the HD package. With all the new HD channels they have created the HD access which gives you access to all the HD channels that have an SD counterpart technically this is not a package as it changes based on your base package. Because HBO, Starz ESPN etc had an SD counterpart they were removed from the HD EXTRA PACK.
Fred

AU9 > WB68 and SWM5 > 3 - HR20-700, 2 - R15, 1 - H20-600

#20 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:02 AM

Bottom line: If you don't want to pay the $4.99/mth, you will not get those channels after 12/15/2007, no matter how much you complain.

HD Packages

Protected By... spam firewall...And...