Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is SWM?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dheckman

dheckman

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:06 AM

I have searched the threads and cannot find a short description of what SWM is. Can someone clarify this term?

This term is mentioned in several of the new software loads for the H20 receivers.

Just after I posted this note I found this excellent post..

showthread.ph...ad.php?t=80686

Thanks anyway.

Don

(there is some rule that I can't post URLs until I post X number of messages so you need to add the beginning part of the URL to the quote above. Sorry.)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:13 AM

I have searched the threads and cannot find a short description of what SWM is. Can someone clarify this term?

This term is mentioned in several of the new software loads for the H20 receivers.

Thanks.

I beleive it stands for "single wire multiswitch" it allows you to run two lines to a DVR on one cable.

#3 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:45 AM

SWM=Single Wire Multi-switch

It allows you to run one line to an HR20/21 and use both tuners.

You can also run one line and add a splitter to hook up more than one receiver.

It works with the HR20, HR21, H21, H20, D12, and it will work with the R16 (SD DVR) when ever that comes out.

Do a search for SWM and you will find a lot of information on it.

#4 OFFLINE   dms1

dms1

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:18 AM

It is a single-wire multi-switch.

A normal multi-switch has one output cable per tuner (which means two cables for a DVR) and works by allowing each tuner to specify (via voltages and tones on the cable) which LNB it needs to connect to. All the transponders on that LNB are then piped down that particular cable.

An SWM uses just a single wire that is connected to multiple tuners by normal splitters, much as cable TV is distributed through a home. With an SWM, each tuner tells the SWM which transponder it needs, rather than just which LNB, and only the signal from the transponder is put on the cable. A negotiation process chooses what frequency that transponder is put on so that the tuner knows how to recover it, and several transponders (five or eight) can be put on the same cable at the same time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...