Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

When will the SWM be availabe to the general public?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:38 AM

I want to get one asap.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:27 AM

This is way too important a technology to rush.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   jwittenmyer

jwittenmyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:50 AM

Can someone refresh me on what SWM is?
DirecTV HR20-100
Sony KDS-60A3000 SXRD
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround
Philips DVP-5982 1080p DVD
Logitech Harmony 676

#4 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:54 AM

Can someone refresh me on what SWM is?

SWM = Single Wire Multiswitch

Allows you to use both tuners on a dual tuner DVR with only 1 coax cable.

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:00 AM

I had a pretty knowledgeable installer come out to the house Saturday to replace a defective HR20-700, and he was amazed that I was only using one Sat line and no BBC, yet I was getting 2 tuner MPEG-4 service, so I took him up to the attic and showed him the SWM-5 I have diplexed with my Zinwell 4x8. He's been with his company (Halstead) awhile, and apparently no word of the SWM has yet been filtered down to the installers.

He was understandably very happy at the prospect of potentially not having to re-wire homes already wired for cable. :)

/steve
/steve

#6 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

E* has been using "SWM" for a while now, I was surprised D* has not implemented this. I am considering a switch to D*, but am in need of 3 HDDVR's, will the latest dish be able to handle 3 HDDVR's or 6 tuners I guess?

Also will this go beyond the free 4-room basic installation provided by D*? If so is there a way around it, say have the installer do only two HDDVR's, and I will self-install the 3rd, and if so will I need additional switches or rewiring to accommodate the 3rd two-tuner receiver?

#7 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:38 AM

I had a pretty knowledgeable installer come out to the house Saturday to replace a defective HR20-700, and he was amazed that I was only using one Sat line and no BBC, yet I was getting 2 tuner MPEG-4 service, so I took him up to the attic and showed him the SWM-5 I have diplexed with my Zinwell 4x8. He's been with his company (Halstead) awhile, and apparently no word of the SWM has yet been filtered down to the installers.

He was understandably very happy at the prospect of potentially not having to re-wire homes already wired for cable. :)

/steve

How were you able to get a SWM?

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:41 AM

E* has been using "SWM" for a while now, I was surprised D* has not implemented this. I am considering a switch to D*, but am in need of 3 HDDVR's, will the latest dish be able to handle 3 HDDVR's or 6 tuners I guess?

Also will this go beyond the free 4-room basic installation provided by D*? If so is there a way around it, say have the installer do only two HDDVR's, and I will self-install the 3rd, and if so will I need additional switches or rewiring to accommodate the 3rd two-tuner receiver?

They have been using single wire... not SWM...
They are very different in their implementation.

You will need a multiswitch if you need to power 6 tuners.
So yes... a single dish can power multiple units, if you add the appropriate multiswitch.... I have 1 dish, and 17 active tuners in the house.

It is typically covered by a basic install.
If it is on your work order to install 3 HD-DVRs they will install the equipment necessary
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:44 AM

/steve

Steve,

That is how DTV does things. The dual LNB, the end of the conversion program,
the end of pay for no line of sight stops, the requirement for phone connections, the AT-9 & AU-9 and the others I forgot.....were all just kicked out the door. Tech info filters through the system. I get most of my knowledge from this site.

Joe

#10 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

When will the SWM be built into the DVRs?

Joe

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:47 AM

Joe

SWM/FTM capability is already built-in to the H20/21, HR20/21 models, AFAIK. It's the switch itself that is not generally available... yet. /steve
/steve

#12 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:53 AM

How were you able to get a SWM?

There was a SWM beta (now closed) earlier this year that some of the DBSTalk users were able to get into. /steve
/steve

#13 OFFLINE   jlancaster

jlancaster

Icon

• Registered
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:09 PM

Joe

Built into the lnb would be better...

SWMline
(2)HR20-700 50" Sony dlp hdmi, 50" vizio plasma hdmi...1 HR21-100 to26 Vizio hdmi, R22-100 to sdtv

#14 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:09 PM

...It is typically covered by a basic install.
If it is on your work order to install 3 HD-DVRs they will install the equipment necessary

If I understand you correctly Earl, the SWM is already available for the newest install? I only have 5 cables into the house, there is no way to fish one more cable in.

Another thing is does D* also install an OTA attenna next to the dish and the wiring? I remember they used to do this. I am thinking one way to make sure they give me the HR20 not HR21 is to insist the installer put the OTA for me in the work order, even if I have to cover the cost.

OK I should reword my question a little. I actually do not plan to get 3 HDDVR's initially, but only one, then if I am happy and decide to completely switch from E* to D*, will add 2 more and cancel E*. If the installer only does the one box install, how diffucult is to add the other two later by myself? Will D* do the dish upgrade for me at that time?

#15 OFFLINE   johnlnelms

johnlnelms

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:56 PM

Just had my D* installed... Installation tech said no more SWMs for a while. They would stop working after only a month.

#16 OFFLINE   jhillestad

jhillestad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:58 PM

SWM's are starting to sound a lot like WMD's .... they're there we just cant see them.

#17 OFFLINE   rkreitl

rkreitl

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

This is way too important a technology to rush.

How long has it been in BETA? It's been some time now hasn't it?

#18 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:21 PM

If I understand you correctly Earl, the SWM is already available for the newest install? I only have 5 cables into the house, there is no way to fish one more cable in.

Another thing is does D* also install an OTA attenna next to the dish and the wiring? I remember they used to do this. I am thinking one way to make sure they give me the HR20 not HR21 is to insist the installer put the OTA for me in the work order, even if I have to cover the cost.

OK I should reword my question a little. I actually do not plan to get 3 HDDVR's initially, but only one, then if I am happy and decide to completely switch from E* to D*, will add 2 more and cancel E*. If the installer only does the one box install, how diffucult is to add the other two later by myself? Will D* do the dish upgrade for me at that time?

It is currently available in 4 or 5 field test markets.

DirecTV usually doesn't install OTA antennas anymore...
That would be something you would work out with the installer and pay extra for.

The difficulty on doing it later, will depend on how the installer runs the cables. At a minimum you will need the installer to run all 4 cables to the dish... so that you don't have to take apart the dish later on to add the extra two.

If you are comfortable with running coax and putting the ends on the cable, it is pretty easy to add things later (Then again... all depends on the construction of your house too).

You would have to get a DirecTV dish Upgrade,if you already have an older dish... to get the new channels... and that is typically part of the standard HD install.

At a later time.... you would proably have to at least eclipse 6 months in service, before they are going to offset any costs/deals involved with additional systems.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#19 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

How long has it been in BETA? It's been some time now hasn't it?

About a year.

But given that it fundimentally changes the way the signal gets from the dish to the box.... it is a MAJOR MAJOR change and something that can't be updated very easily, since the SWM module is solid state (for the most part), and can't be updated remotely.

So yes... it has been some time, with reason for it to be.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#20 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

Just had my D* installed... Installation tech said no more SWMs for a while. They would stop working after only a month.

What will stop working after a month?
SWMs?

Well that couldn't be more wrong... I have the same SWM since February (the 8ch)... and it is just chuging along, and I am pushing it at it's limits all the time.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

Protected By... spam firewall...And...