Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

which channels are mpeg2 and which are mpeg4?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:47 AM

is there a list?

For example, I was watching HBO-HD earlier yesterday and it was fine, but when I watched it last nite it was just horribly compressed. What I don't remember is which HBO-HD version I was watching (77 or the higher ones, east or west). So I assume that one of these HBO-HD transmissions is in mpeg2, the other one(s) in mpeg4?:confused:

is there a list somewhere that says which one is what?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:49 AM

is there a list?

For example, I was watching HBO-HD earlier yesterday and it was fine, but when I watched it last nite it was just horribly compressed. What I don't remember is which HBO-HD version I was watching (77 or the higher ones, east or west). So I assume that one of these HBO-HD transmissions is in mpeg2, the other one(s) in mpeg4?:confused:

is there a list somewhere that says which one is what?

A fellow DBS Talk user made this site. Excellent reference.

It should answer any and all questions you might have.

LINK

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#3 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:50 AM

awesome...thank you!

#4 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:54 AM

perhaps a new update is needed? :confused: I don't see HBO or SHO on the double digit channels....wierd.

#5 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:02 AM

perhaps a new update is needed? :confused: I don't see HBO or SHO on the double digit channels....wierd.

The site is maintained by pgfitzgerald here at DBS Talk.

If you mouse over channel 509 (ie: HBO HD) you'll see the additional channels (70 and 501) that it is "mirrored" on.

I know pgfitzgerald likes to keep it up to date and as user friendly as possible so I encourage you to send him feedback.

BTW: looks like you're fairly new so in case someone hasn't already done so, welcome to DBS Talk.

- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#6 OFFLINE   pgfitzgerald

pgfitzgerald

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:29 AM

The site is maintained by pgfitzgerald here at DBS Talk.

If you mouse over channel 509 (ie: HBO HD) you'll see the additional channels (70 and 501) that it is "mirrored" on.

I know pgfitzgerald likes to keep it up to date and as user friendly as possible so I encourage you to send him feedback.

BTW: looks like you're fairly new so in case someone hasn't already done so, welcome to DBS Talk.

Welcome ssabripo!

Radio Enginerd is right on the money. And yes, I really appreciate feedback (and corrections), so don't hesitate to send me a PM!

Paul
Family Room: DIRECTV HR24-500 [HDMI] SAMSUNG 56" HDTV (HL-S5687W) [eSATA] Antec MX-1 + WD20EVDS
Master Bedroom: DIRECTV H21-200 [HDMI] VIZIO 37" HDTV (VO370M)
Office: DIRECTV D12-300 [S-Video] Toshiba 14" SDTV (14AF43)
Equipment & Wiring: DIRECTV Slimline-3S (SWM), Belden RG6/U Coax (7915A)

#7 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:31 AM

why thank you! :) Yes, I'm an old timer over at AVSforum, and I'm just getting my feet wet with directv.

I'm ultra anal about PQ and hesitantly paid comcast their high $$ for their handful of HD channels because of the PQ. Now that I have the HR20-100 + OTA antenna, and done some side by side comparos, most of the channels are comparable, except these obvious MPEG2 ones......ergo my curiosity.

#8 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

Paul....I must say, EXCELLENT work, so thank you!

My only suggestion right now is to list ALL the channels, and either color code the little black button with the channel number (or the entire text description) so as to show it as a "mirror" channel. Other than that, great stuff, and to the top of my bookmarks it goes.

if you guys ever need audio/video info or help, you let me know. Heck, i'll get you started with a couple of cool DIY cable threads I made for the guys over at avs:
http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=726473
http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=740215

#9 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:47 AM

Paul....I must say, EXCELLENT work, so thank you!

My only suggestion right now is to list ALL the channels, and either color code the little black button with the channel number (or the entire text description) so as to show it as a "mirror" channel. Other than that, great stuff, and to the top of my bookmarks it goes.

if you guys ever need audio/video info or help, you let me know. Heck, i'll get you started with a couple of cool DIY cable threads I made for the guys over at avs:
http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=726473
http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=740215

Yeah, Paul's site is pretty cool. It is also at the top of my HDTV boomarks. :)

- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#10 OFFLINE   KnordRW

KnordRW

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:57 AM

Looking over the list, I'm surprised at all the upconverted from SD channels there are, especially Sci Fi. For upconverted SD, SG: Atlantis and BSG:Razor looked damn nice, especially the latter. Seeing that HBO is upconverted doesn't surprise me, as I've been unimpressed with the PQ on that channel.

#11 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:04 AM

Looking over the list, I'm surprised at all the upconverted from SD channels there are, especially Sci Fi. For upconverted SD, SG: Atlantis and BSG:Razor looked damn nice, especially the latter. Seeing that HBO is upconverted doesn't surprise me, as I've been unimpressed with the PQ on that channel.

The listing does not mean that all HD on Sci-Fi and HBO are SD upconverts, but simply indicates the manner in which the channel handles its SD material.

There is lots of HD on Sci-Fi and HBO (although it looks better on the MPEG4 channel.)

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#12 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:10 PM

Correct. Basically what those columns mean is that when the channel is *NOT* showing HD, what do they do with it (stretch, crop, zoom, etc)?

spam firewall