Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Supercrop Issue Forgotten?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:00 AM

With all of the wonderful HD channels added to the lineup, I am wondering if fixing the supercrop bug has been abandoned? With each release, the bug seemed to come and go, or appear intermittently, but with the current NR, it is always there. We don't hear about it much anymore, because most of the time we are all watching HD channels, but there are still a couple of letterboxed SD shows out there and this bug does still matter. Lately, I have been catching up on Smallville (which broadcasts in letterbox about 1 out of every 3 episodes, like Supernatural) and Blood Ties (which is always LB). I always have to watch these shows in pillar and letter box because the HR20 ALWAYS super crops the zoom mode.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:06 AM

My TV does a better job than the HR20, so I've changed to having the HR20 in stretch and then use my TV's zoom. I get a better picture this way.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:22 AM

Wow, I haven't seen that bug in months.

I also leave the HR20 at default and use my TV to zoom if I choose to do so on letterbox stuff so maybe that's why.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:26 AM

I have seen it and have reported it but I think that with the new HD channels the issue is far less noticeable as we're all watching less letterboxed SD.

One has to wonder if that wasn't the whole reason the Super Crop bug wasn't addressed as vigorously.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:39 AM

My TV does a better job than the HR20, so I've changed to having the HR20 in stretch and then use my TV's zoom. I get a better picture this way.

I probably would too, but I hate juggling remotes.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#6 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:45 AM

MX or Harmony my friend. Friends don't let friends use stock remotes. ;)

No juggling remotes here, I have my TV's aspect ratio button mapped to every device on my MX-700. :D

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:49 AM

I'm not sure how you've programed your remote, or if the code works like mine does, but:
If I move the slider over to TV, I can use the remote "format" button to change the TV's format. The HR will annoyingly tell me I'm in the TV mode, but after this it will change the TV format.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:03 AM

Just for giggles, I just checked and for the moment I'm super-crop free. Not surprising though since when I do see it, it's usually Wed - Fri.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   dsm

dsm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

Just for giggles, I just checked and for the moment I'm super-crop free. Not surprising though since when I do see it, it's usually Wed - Fri.

Saw it frequently this weekend on BBCA. These days I can almost always get it to go away by futzing around with changing the format, bringing up the guide, restarting playback, etc. Very bizarre how it comes and goes as these operations are displayed.

BBCA is one of the few remaining SD channels I watch. I'd like to it in the queue for HD, but I'm not sure where it stands.

-steve

#10 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:19 AM

I hate to even comment since everytime I think it is gone it shows back up again. I haven't seen it for the past three weeks. The wife watches several SD channels in crop mode and she hasn't been seeing it recently.
Wayne
Go Virginia Tech....and "Hoo"ever is playing UVa!

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:35 AM

I'm not sure how you've programed your remote, or if the code works like mine does, but:
If I move the slider over to TV, I can use the remote "format" button to change the TV's format. The HR will annoyingly tell me I'm in the TV mode, but after this it will change the TV format.

I haven't tried that, I'll try it later, thanks.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#12 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:59 PM

I have a problem with the supercrop bug worse than ever recently on my HR20-700. It started with the latest NR. Last weekend I even downloaded the new CE version, and it is still there. The main programming I use crop on is hockey that's not in HD (even with the latest RSN releases the vast majority of hockey is still HD). When I use the crop feature it goes immediately to supercrop. By fiddling around with the controls I can occasionally get it to go to the normal crop size.

Yes, I know I can work around this by using my TV's format, but I prefer to have the HR20 output only 720p (as I have a Panasonic plasma with 768 native pixels), and when it is receiving 720p, I can't use the format buttons on my TV. So, then I have to go into the menu to change the formats I want the DVR to output so I can get it to output 480p, and then I can use the display's formatting buttons. Can I do it? Yes. Is it a pain in the a**? Yes.

So, it would be nice if this were fixed once and for all.

SMK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...