Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Life on Mars Returns

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:22 AM

:lol: Woo hoo!! I just read on TV Guide.com that Life on Mars returns to BBC America on Dec 11. And that David E. Kelly is going full steam with the American adaptation.

Can't wait! :hurah:

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:58 PM

Be forewarned that there are two new episodes on December 11.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,312 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:30 PM

We love the show. Some columnists call it "Journeyman" done right. But actually its a whole different premise - a curious scifi-time-shift/crime procedural. I'm beginning to wonder what American networks would do without the BBC developing programming ideas.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   kirkusinnc

kirkusinnc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:00 PM

Great news. I got tired of waiting for BBC America to run Season 2 so I purchased the DVD box set from amazon.co.uk which my wife and I enjoyed over the summer.
Kirk
Cary, NC

#5 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:19 PM

We love the show. Some columnists call it "Journeyman" done right. But actually its a whole different premise - a curious scifi-time-shift/crime procedural. I'm beginning to wonder what American networks would do without the BBC developing programming ideas.

I too saw that comment. Did not think it was "appropos". Entirely different concept. If there is any comparison, it should be to Quantum Leap, but again, different in so many other ways.

I wish the critics would not even try to categorize/compare. Just enjoy!!! :sure:

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:52 AM

Great news. I got tired of waiting for BBC America to run Season 2 so I purchased the DVD box set from amazon.co.uk which my wife and I enjoyed over the summer.

How did it play on your DVD player? :confused:

How much is shipping from the UK?

#7 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:54 AM

You need a multizone DVD player that will play PAL, most DVD players here will only play DVDs from Zone 1. Google "region free DVD players" for more information.
Shipping from the UK can be a really good deal, at least compared with standard UK pricing. Amazon UK takes the sales tax (VAT) off the price then adds the shipping charge, With VAT at 17.5%, you can sometimes end up paying less for DVDs than if you bought them in the UK (although more than regular U.S. prices)

#8 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:57 AM

The second season is as good as the first. IMHO one of the best TV series in the last couple of years. And I was pleased that they decided to end the series at two seasons and finish "in style" rather than letting it drag on. I suppose it would be possible to pick up the theme again in some way but it would not be the same.

#9 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:09 PM

The second season is as good as the first. IMHO one of the best TV series in the last couple of years. And I was pleased that they decided to end the series at two seasons and finish "in style" rather than letting it drag on. I suppose it would be possible to pick up the theme again in some way but it would not be the same.

They are apparently continuing the story with the Chief Inspector - or whatever the head cop's title is. It has been so long since I saw the show that I have forgotten names and titles. Anyway, BBC America is doing a spin off with that character. And David Kelly is producing an American version of the original serires. Hopefully, if it is a hit, he will also create an end.

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   kirkusinnc

kirkusinnc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

Shipping from amazon.co.uk was about 3 pounds. Only took a week to get here too.

My Denon DVD-2930CI player will play PAL discs and is region free courtesy of a remote control code entry. If your player supports PAL but can't be made region-free, make copies of the discs on your PC with AnyDVD installed...
Kirk
Cary, NC

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:51 AM

kirkusinnc:

OT, but I love your trousers!

Cheese, Grommit! Cheese!

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

Check out this link!

http://www.tvguide.c...-mars/071205-12

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:25 AM

They are apparently continuing the story with the Chief Inspector - or whatever the head cop's title is. It has been so long since I saw the show that I have forgotten names and titles. Anyway, BBC America is doing a spin off with that character. And David Kelly is producing an American version of the original serires. Hopefully, if it is a hit, he will also create an end.

Here's the link to an article talking about the spin-off series http://www.telegraph...6/fthunt106.xml

#14 ONLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 917 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:50 PM

I still have my season pass, but it wasn't going to record it. I had to change the settings from first run only, to first run and repeats. DirecTV really needs to go with another vendor for their guide data, doesn't code a lot of shows correctly and now doesn't even show what's a repeat and what's new.

#15 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:34 PM

I still have my season pass, but it wasn't going to record it. I had to change the settings from first run only, to first run and repeats. DirecTV really needs to go with another vendor for their guide data, doesn't code a lot of shows correctly and now doesn't even show what's a repeat and what's new.

If you had not posted this, I would have missed it entirely!! :mad:

The R))'s were showing in the guide, but after going to the ToDoList, it was not listed. Not only that, but I am on Pacific time and it should have been recording RIGHT THIS INSTANT! Needless to say, it isn't. It still did not even after I changed to "both" episodes. I had to go into the guide and change the R)) to just a single R and not a series, then it clicked on. I went into the prioritizer and deleted the SL. I will reset it later to see if it picks up next week's episode.

This is just so wrong.:nono2: They really do need to fix this guide data problem.

My Setup

spam firewall