Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I love HBO, but.....

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:54 PM

Always been a huge fan of HBO original series, but Im frankly disappointed that some of the shows have not gotten on to the HD bandwagon. And it's not that these shows would be that tough to do in HD. So please spare my eyes from SD hell and give me:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Bill Maher
Real Sports
Inside the NFL

Please - 3 of these 4 shows are STUDIO shows. It can't be that hard to do an upgrade.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ccr1958

ccr1958

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:00 PM

katie morgan too?? at least 1 of her shows :)

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:18 PM

Remember, HD is more than buy a camera and start shooting. :)

That said, yes, it would be nice if all these were all in HD considering how long HBO has been in the HD business.

Happy Holidays!
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#4 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:18 PM

I'm still waiting for HBO to get some quality shows going again. Seems SHO is taking over HBO's status for good original series. I really enjoy Dexter and hope they start some new series this year coming.

#5 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:25 PM

Bill Maher in HD :barf:

His show will probably be the last to go HD. He'll find excuses and how high def hurts the environment and is responsible for the killing of animals.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#6 OFFLINE   ccr1958

ccr1958

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

His show will probably be the last to go HD. He'll find excuses and how high def hurts the environment and is responsible for the killing of animals.

haha

#7 ONLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:48 PM

The Wire comes back to HBO starting January 6. You want a good original series, this is one.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#8 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:55 PM

+100. Amazing that a show this good has needed to be saved a number of times by the viewers. The Wire is awesome.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:00 PM

The Wire comes back to HBO starting January 6. You want a good original series, this is one.

Ah! Thanx. I was delighted when HBO decided to renew it. Was wondering when it was going to be on.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   jfeheley

jfeheley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:02 PM

I used to like Bill Maher a long time ago. Back when he had jokes about everything not just (information lacking) Bush bashing jokes. I still watch him to get a different perspective on things. That's what a free press is all about.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:13 PM

+100. Amazing that a show this good has needed to be saved a number of times by the viewers. The Wire is awesome.

Look how they just stopped Carnivale. And the Western, I can't think of the name. I could have watched another 5 or 6 seasons of the Sopranos. And how about Rome. Two wonderful seasons and gone.

Showtime has done the same thing. Dead Like Me comes to mind. Just ended. Gone.

And the shame of it is that if people gave these shows a decent chance, they would be as hooked as we are.

As far as I am concerned, the best dramatic and humorous series are on HBO and, right now, Showtime.

Deadwood, that was the name of the Western. They couldn't leave that on for a few more years? It was great.

And let's not forget Sex and the City.

#12 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:18 PM

The sad thing about Deadwood (after Sopranos the best show they ever had IMO), was that was actually not HBO's fault - that was David Milch's fault (NYPD Blue, Hill Street Blues). He dumped it in favor of what appears to be yet another cancelled show - John From Cincinnati.

Carnivale and Rome are just a shame to have been cancelled. I agree with you 100% there.

At least there's still Big Love, which i really enjoy as well, as does the wife.

Look how they just stopped Carnivale. And the Western, I can't think of the name. I could have watched another 5 or 6 seasons of the Sopranos. And how about Rome. Two wonderful seasons and gone.

Showtime has done the same thing. Dead Like Me comes to mind. Just ended. Gone.

And the shame of it is that if people gave these shows a decent chance, they would be as hooked as we are.

As far as I am concerned, the best dramatic and humorous series are on HBO and, right now, Showtime.

Deadwood, that was the name of the Western. They couldn't leave that on for a few more years? It was great.

And let's not forget Sex and the City.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

At least there's still Big Love, which i really enjoy as well, as does the wife.

I forgot about that. Fortunately the aging process and the '60s, '70s and '80s have dulled my memory to the point where I can watch these shows over and over and not remember much. As soon as the series are over I get the box set DVDs of the whole series. I'm looking forward to watching the whole Sopranos series this winter.

#14 ONLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,355 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:34 PM

You kill me!! :hurah: That was so appropriate.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:53 PM

I was hoping for Curb Your Enthusiasm in HD since it's all shot digital anyway. The PQ is easily the worst part of that show. In fact it's the only bad part.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:28 PM

HBO is still doing 1440 stretch-o-vision...

and missed the VOD revolution.

Oh well,

- Craig

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:25 PM

I was hoping for Curb Your Enthusiasm in HD since it's all shot digital anyway. The PQ is easily the worst part of that show. In fact it's the only bad part.

I didn't like Seinfeld at first. Thought it was annoying. Missed most of the first season, but then something happened and I began watching it and it became an obsession.

I thought Curb Your Enthusiasm was great, tremendously funny and then something happened like with Seinfeld but in reverse. Larry David began to really annoy me and I haven't watched it since the season that ended with Larry starring in the Producers.

And, I believe both shows were created by Larry David, no? Curious...

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

Remember, HD is more than buy a camera and start shooting. :)

That said, yes, it would be nice if all these were all in HD considering how long HBO has been in the HD business.

Happy Holidays!
Tom

Tom, if you know, why do we have to pay for all the SD programming if all we watch are Hi Def shows? I have the Total Super Duper programming package and I waited all those months for the movie channels to come out in HD and I never watched a movie in SD all those months. Paid and did not complain. But it's pretty obvious that once you get hooked on HD you rarely, maybe never, watch SD.

I looked on D*s website and did not see any exclusive HD programming packages.

And D* is going to have to keep sending out the SD programming for people who can't afford HDTVs and Satellite service.

I agree with your original point. Of ALL the channels available, you would expect HBO to be the leader. Surprising...

#19 OFFLINE   SAlBO

SAlBO

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:54 PM

I thought Curb Your Enthusiasm was great, tremendously funny and then something happened like with Seinfeld but in reverse. Larry David began to really annoy me and I haven't watched it since the season that ended with Larry starring in the Producers.

And, I believe both shows were created by Larry David, no? Curious...

Rich

yes, both are Larry David brainstorms and I agree with you. I think some of the Curb Your Enthusiasm's problem is there is too much winging it from the actors. They repeat what is said to them while thinking of what to reply with....Sometimes the same statement or remark is repeated by the original actor giving them time...even once in a great while it is said a fourth time......it gets old too quick.....

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:12 PM

yes, both are Larry David brainstorms and I agree with you. I think some of the Curb Your Enthusiasm's problem is there is too much winging it from the actors. They repeat what is said to them while thinking of what to reply with....Sometimes the same statement or remark is repeated by the original actor giving them time...even once in a great while it is said a fourth time......it gets old too quick.....

Wow! I thought nobody would agree with me.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...