Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PS3 or XBOX 360

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:58 AM

The grand daughters want a new game system for Christmas. I'm pretty much video game brain dead. I want to make sure that the one I get can play HD or Blue Ray movies. From what I have read the PS3 is good for Blue Ray but all I see about the XBOX 360 is that it can do HD graphics. Does anyone know if the "HD graphics" include HD DVD's?

Added info:
I just talked to my son and he is big on making this decission based on the movie playback quality of the unit. PS3 - built in Blue Ray while X Box looks like you can buy a Microsoft HD DVD player that attaches to the game system (so why not just buy a seperate HD DVD player).
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? So. Utah

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:21 PM

The grand daughters want a new game system for Christmas. I'm pretty much video game brain dead. I want to make sure that the one I get can play HD or Blue Ray movies. From what I have read the PS3 is good for Blue Ray but all I see about the XBOX 360 is that it can do HD graphics. Does anyone know if the "HD graphics" include HD DVD's?

Added info:
I just talked to my son and he is big on making this decission based on the movie playback quality of the unit. PS3 - built in Blue Ray while X Box looks like you can buy a Microsoft HD DVD player that attaches to the game system (so why not just buy a seperate HD DVD player).

You are correct the PS3 has a built-in Blu-Ray player and the XBOX 360 has an optional external HD-DVD.

I'm planing on getting a PS3 myself and then getting a Toshiba HD-DVD player. Amazon has the A3 for $228 now. I'm waiting until next time it is under $200.

I guess as far as the gaming console, I would pick the one that has the games you, or your grand-kids, want to play.

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:28 PM

IIRC:

The cheaper PS3 no longer supports PS1 and PS2 games.
So depending on the age of your grandkids... that may be a factor.

As it is for me, as I won't purchase it for my house... as my son is 6... and there are just not enough PS3 games for him... and he has a LARGE library of PS1/2 games... that he still plays.

The XBOX360 has a $150 add-on for the HD-DVD drive.
One nice benefit of the add-on drive, is that it supports recordable media a lot better then the internal drive (aka DVD-R's)

The XBOX360 is still not completely compatible with their XBOX games... a lot are, but not all.

I would take a look at the game libraries to help you decide...

The upside to the add-on to the XBOX360... same connection to your TV/Amp (which would also be true for the PS3). If I was to purchase another HD-DVD drive, I would need to invest in a quality switcher, as I only have two component inputs for my AMP, and only one on the TV.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:35 PM

IIRC:

The cheaper PS3 no longer supports PS1 and PS2 games.
So depending on the age of your grandkids... that may be a factor.

As it is for me, as I won't purchase it for my house... as my son is 6... and there are just not enough PS3 games for him... and he has a LARGE library of PS1/2 games... that he still plays.

The XBOX360 has a $150 add-on for the HD-DVD drive.
One nice benefit of the add-on drive, is that it supports recordable media a lot better then the internal drive (aka DVD-R's)

The XBOX360 is still not completely compatible with their XBOX games... a lot are, but not all.

I would take a look at the game libraries to help you decide...

The upside to the add-on to the XBOX360... same connection to your TV/Amp (which would also be true for the PS3). If I was to purchase another HD-DVD drive, I would need to invest in a quality switcher, as I only have two component inputs for my AMP, and only one on the TV.

I had a 60 gig PS3 and I returned it to buy a SXRD on sale that week. About 3 months later I bought a PS3 40gig and haven't regretted it. The 40 gig will not play PS2 games however it does play PS1 games. Overall for 50 dollars more its a much better value than buying a 360. Blu-ray looks awesome and the 2008 line up of games coming exclusively to PS3 will make all PS3 owners very happy. I highly suggest the 399.99 PS3 if you don't really care about PS2 backwards compatibility.The 360 is a great system also with a very robust library and I intend on buying one soon,but if I could only have one then the PS3 is really built with so much more!

#5 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:49 PM

If you will be primarily watching movies and occasionally playing games, PS3. If you are a gamer and enjoy not only the "story/campaign" modes but also online play, XBOX 360. The PS3 isn't even close when it comes to online play and several games that are on both systems actually play and look better on the 360.

#6 OFFLINE   polarpop

polarpop

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:18 PM

Look at the games your family wants to play and pick from that. The xbox360 will play HD games (720i through 1080p) as is, but to watch HD movies you need the external hd drive. The online gaming is great, as well as the selection of games.

Look at gamefly.com and gamespy.com to see all the games available and how they rate.

#7 OFFLINE   Snoofie

Snoofie

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 520 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:10 AM

I bought the Xbox 360 and have loved every minute of it. I have the 360 HD DVD player and it works great and it is supposed to be dropping to $129 soon. However, the 360 plus HD DVD player is more than a PS3 now, but I think what some people forget is that the 360 has a much larger catalog of games and many of them can be found at a discounted price. I have a lot of games and haven't paid more than $20 on ebay for most of them and they are good games. PS3 doesn't have near as many games right now.
HR20-100
XBOX 360
XBOX Live Gamertag: Snoofie71
Samsung 50" DLP

#8 OFFLINE   TaylorJ

TaylorJ

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:16 PM

Also Microsoft just sent a software update to the 360's so that more original xbox games can be played on it. And you just can't beat the online experience with the 360, games, movies, shows. alot of times i can download movies trailers on the 360 way before they show on tv. Feels a lil exclusive :)

#9 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:39 AM

Added info:

I bought a 60gig PS3 onlie. This unit has the emulation chip that will play all PS2 games.
The units in stores now have sotfware emulation that will NOT play all old PS 2 games.
The PS3 is amazing, and the Playstaion network will soon surpass the capabilities of XBOX live.
To get a HDMI Blu Ray player (superior iumage quality to HD DVD), that truly is a PC and plays beautiful games (the Xbox can't match the fire power in the PS3) all for $400.00-500.00 dollars is a bargain.
I love the PS3, and so do my 2 kids. My wife and I also love viewing digital pics from memory cards in HD via the onboard memory card reader as well.

Oh, and the PS3 will support and utilize external usb hard drives to bump up storage.

Hands down the PS3 is the better box, the game library is weak now, but is set for explosive growth in 2008.

Blu ray movies are also outselling HDDVD 2 - 1 it looks like blu ray may win this battle.

D* Customer Since 1999

• Dish
  • Slimline-3 SWiM 16, 
    Familyroom
  • DirecTV HR44-700  
  • Panasonic 55" TC-P55GT50 plasma HDMI/ DECA, CAT6, OTA
  • Nintendo Wii,
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-Ray, CAT6
  • Pioneer VSX-1120 7.1 CAT6,
  • Cambridge Sound Works Ensemble 1 - front, S300 - surround back, Center Stage - center, Polk RM7 - surround side, and Bass Cube 8
    Master Bedroom
  • DirecTV HR24-500 
  • Vizio 37" SV370XVT LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT6 - can I just take a moment to say how awesome this TV is
  • Sony BDP-BX3B Blu-Ray, CAT6
    Basement
  • Samsung 52" LNT5271 FX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
  • Sony PS3,
  • Denon AVR 2108, KEF C40
    Son's Room
  • Vizio 42" E3D420 VX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
    Network
  • Linksys EA4500 802.11N Gigabit router
  • 2 - D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit switches
  • DirecTV Home Cinema Connection
  • DirecTV GenieGo
  • ISP: Verizon FiOs Quantum 50/35
  • Dell Studio 540 Quad Core Q8200 64 Bit, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 8 gigs RAM, PlayOn
  • HP DV6-1243CLB Core 2 Duo T6600, 802.11N
  • 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 4 gigs RAM
  • Compaq Presario SR1650NX AMD 64, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 6 gigs RAM
  • Apple Mac Mini Intel processor, 802.11N
  • Snow Leopard, 2 gigs RAM
  • iPhone 5S
  • iPad 2
  • Both iOS 8.1
  • 3879075488.png

#10 OFFLINE   Snoofie

Snoofie

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:29 AM

To get a HDMI Blu Ray player (superior iumage quality to HD DVD), that truly is a PC and plays beautiful games (the Xbox can't match the fire power in the PS3)

Hands down the PS3 is the better box, the game library is weak now, but is set for explosive growth in 2008.

Blu ray movies are also outselling HDDVD 2 - 1 it looks like blu ray may win this battle.

Your statement that Blu Ray has superior image quality to HD DVD is just not accurate. Blu Ray may have a higher storage capacity, but the image quality is the same between the two. Also, while the PS3 has the ability to be a more powerful machine, the games on it now are not taking advantage of that power. There are several games that look better on the 360 than the PS3 because many of them are being ported to the PS3 instead of being developed specifically for it. In the future, the PS3 will probably take the advantage because of it's processing power, but now that just isn't the case. You are correct that Blu Ray has been outselling HD DVD, but the jury is still out on who will win. You might say that I am just a 360 fanboy, but I have every intention to buy a PS3 and I will buy Blu Ray's for it, but as of now the 360 is the better deal for me. Most of the games I buy are older therefore cheaper and I enjoy them just as much. When I get around to buying a PS3, it will be when they have a larger catalog of older games available.
HR20-100
XBOX 360
XBOX Live Gamertag: Snoofie71
Samsung 50" DLP

#11 OFFLINE   mhendrixsr

mhendrixsr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:14 AM

I have both... a Toshiba XA2 and a PS3 (60gb). Both formats seem to have advantage/disadvantages (as pointed out above). So far I tend to like HD-DVD a bit better... just seems like a slicker interface and the recently updated FW (on the XA2) will do bitstream w/some of the new codecs. Back to the original question... lots of good arguments on both sides but one of my favorite things about the PS3 is the easy implementation of ethernet upgrades (built-in wi-fi, along with lots of processor potential) . I personally am not a gamer, bought the PS3 pretty much to economically try BD. BD also has excellent quality... I buy DVD's in both formats (for the time being). Not being a gamer tho, most of the PS3 games I have played are demos, downloaded from the PS3 site for free. (The demos are enough of a challenge for me.) Before all the Xbox fans jump on me, I'll also say that I know nothing about that product. Not being a gamer, it just wasn't a consideration for me and having been with Apple products since 1978, MS products always seem "klunky" to me.

#12 OFFLINE   fwlogue

fwlogue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:22 AM

I purchased the PS3 I was originally going to buy just a Blue Ray player. When I thought about I decided to buy the PS3. I bought this as I could have games for the grand kids to play and still have the blue ray player. I bought mine from Sams Club and every game I have purchased works in it. Most of the games I got for the grand daughter are PS2 games they work just fine on the one I have.
Fred

AU9 > WB68 and SWM5 > 3 - HR20-700, 2 - R15, 1 - H20-600

#13 OFFLINE   caspertodd

caspertodd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:22 AM

I have an XBOX 360 and love it. I purchased the HD drive for it as well. I now watch all of my regular DVDs through it since the quality is better than your basic progressive scan DVD player in my opinion. I think with either the PS3 or the Xbox, the movie and gaming quality will probably be similar, so I would take both cost and amount of games that are available for their age group into consideration. I have many friends that have both systems, and they all love what they have. The Wii is also a really fun system, especially for kids or groups of adults (party games).

#14 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:28 AM

The biggest downside to the PS3 is the fact that the remote interface is Bluetooth. That means that you can't use a universal remote to control the Bluray disc player. (I'm not aware of any IR/Bluetooth remotes at this time), Supposedly, Sony is going to add IR remote compatibility to new PS3's next year.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#15 OFFLINE   dharrismco

dharrismco

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:43 AM

I have a 60gb PS3.. My main motivation was I wanted to purchase a Bluray player (Camcorder records in AVCHD) and figured might as well get a gaming system while I was at it. The games I have played on it have been great, although the selection of available games sold for the PS3 is still a bit small for games for my son. The remote being bluetooth is a little challenging, it would have been nice if they had put an IR port on the front of it too.. hopefully for future buyers the rumor is true. :)

Although, on the other side of the equation, a friend of mine has an XBOX 360 and swears by it..

#16 OFFLINE   cbeckner80

cbeckner80

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:51 PM

I have an XBOX 360 and love it. I purchased the HD drive for it as well. I now watch all of my regular DVDs through it since the quality is better than your basic progressive scan DVD player in my opinion. I think with either the PS3 or the Xbox, the movie and gaming quality will probably be similar, so I would take both cost and amount of games that are available for their age group into consideration. I have many friends that have both systems, and they all love what they have. The Wii is also a really fun system, especially for kids or groups of adults (party games).

I agree fully with what caspertodd has said. I have the XBOX 360 and the HD drive also, as well as the WII. I find watching regular dvd's through the XBOX seems to be better quality, but then that could be my old eyes just fooling me.

I think it comes down to $$ and availablility of games, although from what I've read, the PS3 is not going to be far behind in it's library of available games.

#17 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

I have the PS2, and am surely biased in my opinion of it. I have seen the 360 games, and to be honest, I have zero interest in online content. So that as an arugment does not work for me.

I have liked the games for PS3 - especially Heavenly Sword, and now GH III. My husband loves Resistance, and Bladestorm as well.

I do agree that there needs to be more games, but I have yet to beat a single game we own (I am SLOW!) so it won't matter to me!

No we only buy Blu_rays instead of DVD's, and I love it.
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...