Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need help here!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 705 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

I don't know of an appropriate place to post this question but...

I've been having trouble with my HR20-700 lately (the past few months). I've got terrible pixaliating (sp?) on this receiver on many MPEG-4 channels while my HR20-100 have been flawless. They're connected to the same multiswitch and same dish. This has been occuring even before I installed the multi-switch (WB16? Not sure which but it is the RIGHT multi-switch that I had inquired on before on here). Does any of you think it is "possible" that it is the coax cable that I might need to replace? Is it the BBC? I'd like to know before I go down into the basement and monkey around with the cables.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:07 AM

I'm going to move your question to the HR20/HR21 forum, where we can talk about it further.

My first question would be what are your signal strengths on the problem HR20? Also if you swap the receivers do you have the same problem on the -700 or is the problem the same no matter what DVR is in that same location?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:32 AM

Signal strenghts are important. If they are all above 90 try swap the bbc connectors and post what happens then. Do you have extra bbc connectors?
Sometimes it just is what it is :nono2:

#4 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:42 AM

I am going to agree with Stuart, the absolute first thing you need to do is swap the receivers. This will tell you if the problem is the receiver, or the location. Once we know this, we will have a MUCH better idea on how to proceed.

It would be a good idea to note the signal strengths on both receivers before you swap them, unless they are already 90's or above on both.

#5 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 705 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:11 PM

Okay, I will try this later. Right now, I have to work but as soon as I am free, I will try swapping the receivers and see what happens.

#6 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 705 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:11 AM

Well, I found the time this morning to figure this out. The only thing I did was tune to FXHD where it was pixeliating (sp?) so bad. I disconnected the Satellite In 2 to see what happens and picture was so much better. Then I started tuning to other HD channels (mainly the Starz channels where I've had trouble a lot) with the cable still disconnected. I replaced the BBC to see what happens, reconnected the cable, started changing channels and now it's better. I checked the Active button because I've had trouble with it before but now it is much better. So, it must be the bad BBC. I kept on changing HD channels almost all over and it's working a lot better now. I'm thinking about ordering some more BBC's just in case the other ones will go bad. Thanks for your help, though.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

If you order them, DIRECTV has been pretty good about sending them. I'd order them as a just in case thing.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Registered
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:03 AM

If you order them, DIRECTV has been pretty good about sending them. I'd order them as a just in case thing.

Yeah, I called last week, just so I'd have spares, and they were on my doorstep via Fedex in 2 days!

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

Protected By... spam firewall...And...