Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV HR20 v HR21

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   michael_duke

michael_duke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA 23233

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:52 PM

I apologize in advance if my questions were answered elsewhere on this thread but I could not find definitive answers.

My components include the Pioneer Plasma TV PDP6010-FD, Toshiba A35 HD DVD Player & Onkyo TX-SR605 AV Receiver. I plan to connect the HD DVD player and a HD DVR to the receiver via HDMI cables and then connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI cables in order to take full advantage of the audio and video capabilities of each.

For the HD DVR I have to choose between DirecTV models HR20-100, HR20-700 & HR21-700. I understand that the major differences between the HR20 & HR21 are the following:

1.) HR21 does not have OTA tuners and so I will not be able to view/record my local channels in HD since DirecTV does not broadcast my local channels (Richmond, VA) in HD

2.) HR21 has an extra ethernet port, but not sure what this would be used for since you would use a single one on the HR20 to connect with your home network

Here are my questions:

1.) Other than what I listed above are there any other differences between the HR20s & HR21s that I should be aware of considering my other components?

2.) I have read differing information as to the HD recording capacity of the different models. Is there any difference?

3.) What are the differences between the HR20-100 & HR20-700?

4.) If I am okay with not receiving the local stations in HD would I be best off just getting the latest - the HR21?

5.) If getting/recording the local stations in HD is important to me does that necessitate getting the HR20 or are there other considerations?

6.) If I get the HR20, which model do I go for, 20-100 or 20-700?

7.) Assuming I go for the HR20 model, will I need to connect a separate antenna to the DVR in order to receive the OTA local HD channels?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice with these questions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:08 PM

For your difference in #2:
The 2nd port is a "switch"/pass through type network connection.

So you can then use your one connection to your HR21, then connect say an XBOX to the 2nd port, without the need for a switch.
-------------

1) HR20 is silver; HR21 is black
2) Like 5hrs tops difference... the original HR20's had 300gb drives, the HR21's have a 320
3) -100 has RF External Antenna, -700 has it internal... And I think the -100 has digital coax audio
4) Yes (IMHO)
5) If you are not willing to wait for the ATSC solution for the HR21, then yes... get the HR20... else...
6) Depends on your desire to participate in the CE program... if you want to participate (and do the work) that comes with the CE... probably the -700... other then that... doesn't matter
7) Yes
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   michael_duke

michael_duke

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA 23233

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:06 PM

Earl,

Thanks so much for replying with this helpful information. A couple of follow-up questions:

#5) What is the ATSC solution you are referring to and how long will it be before it arrives?

#6) What is the CE program you are referring to?

Thanks again...

For your difference in #2:
The 2nd port is a "switch"/pass through type network connection.

So you can then use your one connection to your HR21, then connect say an XBOX to the 2nd port, without the need for a switch.
-------------

1) HR20 is silver; HR21 is black
2) Like 5hrs tops difference... the original HR20's had 300gb drives, the HR21's have a 320
3) -100 has RF External Antenna, -700 has it internal... And I think the -100 has digital coax audio
4) Yes (IMHO)
5) If you are not willing to wait for the ATSC solution for the HR21, then yes... get the HR20... else...
6) Depends on your desire to participate in the CE program... if you want to participate (and do the work) that comes with the CE... probably the -700... other then that... doesn't matter
7) Yes

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:09 PM

For #5 - The solution has not been stated yet, thus no time table yet.

For #6 - See the DirecTV ->Cutting Edge for all the details
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:47 AM

Your decision on locals in HD come down to what you watch. For me (and the wife), we watch a fair amount of network broadcast shows. With an HD setup all around, I would not settle for a solution that didn't get me the ability to record my network locals via my DVR. Just my $0.02.

Everything else about the differences between the 20/21 and 100/700 are negligible IMO.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#6 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:47 PM

If you get local HD DTV service, you don't need the HR20 with the OTA tuners. If you don't, you definitely need the HR20. Good luck finding one.

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:23 PM

If you look around various forums and threads, you will find that "the ATSC solution" for the HR21 will most likely be an external device connected by USB that will permit tuning and recording ATSC OTA channels. General speculation is that it will be available in the first or second quarter of 2008.

No official information has been released on this, and what (if anything) eventually shows up and when (if ever) is all conjecture at this point in time.

Carl

Protected By... spam firewall...And...