Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Reality Shows UK vs US

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

I enjoy watching Kitchen Nightmares and the F Word with Gordon Ramsay. The difference between the shows on the BBC and Fox is striking though to the point where the Fox drivel is barely watchable.

The BBC shows are lower key, not as overly dramatic with "staged" situations. They also focus on the actual food and cooking of one of the great chefs. The US show is all about drama, yelling and arguments.

Anyone else agree?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:44 PM

Yep... can't argue much with that.

But what is the cause of it... as Fox isn't "unique" in that presentation style.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:47 PM

Yep... can't argue much with that.

But what is the cause of it... as Fox isn't "unique" in that presentation style.

I think it's the fact that here the masses seem to enjoy the drama and in your face attitude that comes with reality tv.

#4 OFFLINE   chris0

chris0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

Agree. But while I like the BBCA version of KN I also like the Fox version. It seems the Fox version has more people who just shouldn't be in a kitchen or a restaurant while the BBCA version has quality cooks, they're just stuck in their failing ways and don't want to change.

And the F Word is one of my new favorite shows. It's such a weird combination of things put together in one show. I like it when Gordon is showing us how to make one of the meals the team is going to be serving and he does the voice over: "Chop...Braise...Salt...Thyme...Oven."

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:37 PM

I'd like to meet Gordon one day .. He seems like such a bad guy on the parts of the show that are shown, but even his worst enemies kinda coddle up to him when it's all said and done. He must be much more endearing a person than he is made out to be on his shows.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:44 PM

Gordon does come across that way.....the guy you liked to knock on his butt because hes always in your face but when you needed a hand hed be the first one in line to go whatever you need.....The guy from the restaurant in Hollywood was on the Frosty,Heidi, and Frank show here in LA a couple weeks ago and he did nothing but slam the guy for his entire interview......

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

Interesting ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.

#8 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:28 PM

Interesting ..

It was....try to say he really wasnt as bad at things as Gordon made him out to be, editting made him look bad, he even admitted that the minute Gordon left he switched the menu back to his weird confusing pizza combonations thing.

#9 ONLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:48 PM

Anybody read Dick Francis novels? He is a British author who always writes about horse racing. Usually his heroes are jockeys or somehow related to the horses. His most recent one is about a chef and he uses Gordon Ramsey in it.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:01 AM

I worked for about 8 years through college and afterwards as a line cook and later a sous chef. I think that's why I like the show so much...it's right on for the bizarre group that work in restaurants. I was nowhere near as talented as Ramsay and also knew that working in restaurants when you're over 40 really isn't a good thing.
He's not really that much tougher than a lot of chefs I knew...and his language is actually clean compared to some of them.

The only thing that bothers me is the cleanliness of some of those restaurants. I really hope some of that is staged for the shows.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...